Search for content in message boards

African-American Higginbothams from Amherst, Va.

African-American Higginbothams from Amherst, Va.

Posted: 946865668000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1009596642000
Surnames: Higginbotham
Tracing genealogy of Afro-American Higginbothams from Amherst County, Virginia.
Zack Higginbotham born 1/18/25 to Zack Higginbotham and Maria Carter Higginbotham.
Siblings: Thomas, Louise (deceased), Mamie, Ella. Father's Cousin was Judge A. Leon.
SSDI index lists a Zack who passed away in Texas. Would like to find out if in the family. Also understand there are relatives in California.

Re: African-American Higginbothams from Amherst, Va.

Kenia Morrison (View posts)
Posted: 948123068000
Edited: 1000047189000
Surnames: Higginbotham, Morrison, McCord
My greatgreatgrandfather was Charles Henry Higginbotham born in Lynchburg, VA. My mother is Wanda Higginbotham Morrison whose mother was Louise Virginia Higginbotha McCord. I have been searching for any information I can find on the afro-american side of the family. My mother is still living but does not know to much about our history except that greatgreatgrandfather was any only child and that his parents may have migrated to Virginia from Alexandria, LA

Posted: 948134176000
Edited: 1009596642000
Kenia: I am in contact with two Higginbothams, plus myself, working on the African-American Higginbothams. Both know a lot more than I do. In fact one carries the Morrison as a middle name. Do I have your permission to forward your request and information to them? If so, your Email address will make things move a lot faster than a posting.

MaryJPap@aol.com

Judge A. Leon Higginbotham

Posted: 955471523000
Edited: 1000048216000
Surnames: Higginbotham, Braxto
Just getting started in this. I came across your entry sying that Judge Higginbotham was your father's cousin. According to my mother Judge higginbotham was my fathers cousin. His name was Emmett Higginbotham born in Arrington, VA in 1914. His father was Ulysses Higginbotham born in Arrington, VA in 1892. From checking the message trail Arrington, VA is just up the road from Lynchburg, VA wich in in Amerst County?! If this is true we hvae some connection. My grandmother was Cruzetta Braxto also from Arrington, VA

My grandfather I think had a brother but I don't know yhe name. He had three sons and a daughter, Emmett E., Harrison, Ulysses, and Anna.

Hope to hear from you soon on this messge board or you can email me.

Nate Higginbotham
higgie@acd.net

Re: Judge A. Leon Higginbotham

Donna Davis (View posts)
Posted: 970776543000
Edited: 1000048341000
Surnames: Higginbotham, Davis
I just came across your entry, and the judge is my fathers cousin also. I had the pleasure of meeting him at Hampton University on Founders Day, Jan. 1994. My grandfather was Rev. Matthew W. Davis Jr. His mother was Mary Higginbotham, from Lynchberg, VA. I don't know much else because she died when my grandfather was a young child and his sister's raised him. I do however have photos of Mary Higginbotham and her parents, but my family is not sure of their names.

Re: Judge A. Leon Higginbotham

Posted: 971048750000
Edited: 1000048433000
Sorry I have not been able to reply sooner. Thank you for your information and I have been trying hard to back track the family tree. A lot of my information has come from my mother and various records found on the net.

My father and hi two brothers are both deceased and I understand that they had a sister but I have no luck tracking her information down. My grandfathers information is no complete as far as brothers and sisters and is harder to find.

Will keep you posted.

Brooke McDaniel (View posts)
Posted: 997761399000
Edited: 1000048066000
Surnames: Higginbotham, McDaniel
I am african-american, researching my grandfather's line. He was born Elmer McDaniel in Amherst, VA. His oldest sister Amanda (middle-name Sarah) married a man listed as "hig D." Higginbotham.

Amanda Higginbotham lived in Lynchburg and died in the mid 1970's.

Any connections?

Posted: 999730802000
Edited: 1104432123000
I just had a family reunion and a couple of us found some more information on the Higginbothams of Amherst Co, VA. My great-grandmother is Mary Elisa/Eliza Higginbotham. Her parents are Reed/Reid and Jenny Higginbotham. I know she had brothers, but how many is unknown right now. If you found anything else out, let me know. I might go to Amherst Co. to look at records sometime soon.

Posted: 999743886000
Edited: 1000049307000
Surnames: Higginbotham, Key
Things are getting a little confusing. My grandfather's brother was born in Masseys Mill, Nelson County, VA in 1890. It appears that Nelson Co. and Amherst county are right next together. My unclce and my father are from Arrington, VA in Nelson County. My grandfathers parents James Higginbotham and Anna Key are still an unknown as far as date and place of birth.

Thank you

Posted: 999810385000
Edited: 1104432123000
I was on higginbothamfamily.com and found my great-grandmothers name among the brides from Amherst Co. I am going to get in touch with Misterhigg@aol.com and see what else I can find. Have you searched familysearch.org? I found a lot of information there. I just can't find Mary Eliza Higginbothams parents.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic