Search for content in message boards

MOON--Cannon Co, TN, to TX

MOON--Cannon Co, TN, to TX

Posted: 1013022367000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1052110355000
Searching for families/descendants of Britton MOON, Alexander MOON, Richard MOON, Templeton MOON, and Smith MOON who appear on the 1840 & 1850 Cannon Co, TN, census. What is the family connection between these men? Several of these families and descendants moved to TX between abt 1860 to 1900. Am trying to place John Britton MOON within one of these families. Thanks.

Re: MOON--Cannon Co, TN, to TX

Vivian Pappas (View posts)
Posted: 1021523517000
Surnames: Moon, Wiliams, Elmore,Totten, Akins, Jones, Potroff, Bryant, Starr
My grandfather was Alexander Samuel Moon, b. 1814 in TN according to my mother's bible. Information I have gotten but not confirmed have eight brothers, sons of Richard (2) Moon and Mary?. Jacob-1780, Simon-1782, RichardIII-1784, James W.-1788, Doctor-1790, Britton-1793, Lewis-1795 and Templeton-1797-1799. As far as I can figure one of these brothers is the father of Alexander Samuel. Britton had a son Alexander but the date is wrong. I have been told my g. grandfather married Sarah Stroud and had numerous children, they moved to MO in 1858 then on to Arkansas. Sarah died and A.S. married my g. grandmother, Malinda Williams. As far as I know they had two sons, Charles and my grandfather John Hall Moon. At some point John moved to Texas where he married my grandmother, Anna Elmore in 1894. They had eleven children and my grandfather disappeared sometime after the last child was born. My grandmother moved to Colorado with her children and as far as I know there was never any contact with my grandfather. I knew nothing about his family other than the names of his parents. It was a surprise when I found there was another family, my generation was not told of this. I have a file on the ancestors of Richard(2) itmust be gedcom because I tried to send it to someone else and she couldn't open it. She said she can't open gedcom. I'm a computer neophyte and a geneology newbie but if I can give you any information I would be glad to.

Sincerely

Vivian Pappas

Barbara Moon Dorsey (View posts)
Posted: 1022472528000
Surnames: Moons and Morgans in Tennessee and Texas
There is a John Britton Moon in my family background. I'll find out more about it, if you like, and be back in touch with you.

Donna Moon Tardiff (View posts)
Posted: 1023774655000
I am looking for a William Moon who was the Sheriff in Commerce Texas for 23 Years One of his sons was Edward Douglas Moon.

Posted: 1032195337000
My husband's gg grandfather was Alexander Samuel Moon, b. 13 Aug 1815, Cannon Co., TN, wife Malinda Ann Williams, b. 1839-1845 in Cedartown, GA. I am searching for the ancestry for either person. Charles B. Moon, b. Feb 1867, Bennett Bayou, Baxter Co., AR (f. Alexander & Malinda Ann), wife Mary E Minge/Mingue/Meangie, b. 17 Jan 1869, Baxter Co., AR are the next generation. James Richard Moon, b. 6 Apr 1891, wife Lena Bell Owens, b. 7 Mar 1894 have been difficult to trace as well. Please let me know if you have any information about these people.

Posted: 1032195352000
My husband's gg grandfather was Alexander Samuel Moon, b. 13 Aug 1815, Cannon Co., TN, wife Malinda Ann Williams, b. 1839-1845 in Cedartown, GA. I am searching for the ancestry for either person. Charles B. Moon, b. Feb 1867, Bennett Bayou, Baxter Co., AR (f. Alexander & Malinda Ann), wife Mary E Minge/Mingue/Meangie, b. 17 Jan 1869, Baxter Co., AR are the next generation. James Richard Moon, b. 6 Apr 1891, wife Lena Bell Owens, b. 7 Mar 1894 have been difficult to trace as well. Please let me know if you have any information about these people.

Posted: 1032410886000
My great-great grandfather was Alexander Samuel Moon born in 1815 in Cannon County Tennessee. I haven't done any of the research on the family tree but there are other family members who have. In fact, there was a geneology of the family posted here at one time by my distant cousin, Carl. My distant cousin, Marvin Moon, has also done some research on the family. My great grandfather was Garrett Marvin Moon who was born in Tennessee and then migrated first to Arkansas and then to Oklahoma after the Civil War. He died in Gould, Oklahoma in 1925. He was the son of Alexander and his first wife. I can put you in touch with some of the family members who have been doing the research if you would like.

Posted: 1032411562000
Here is the information that is posted on the Ancestry website. I don't think all of this information is correct, but it's a start. I know that Alexander married a second time and there were several children from the second marriage. I got that information from my cousin, Marvin, but I can't find it right now. Sorry.

ID: I813
Name: Alexander S. MOON
Sex: M
Birth: 1816 in Cannon County, Tenn
Death: UNKNOWN

Marriage 1 Sarah A STROUD b: in Cannon County, Tenn
Married: ABT. 1835 in Cannon County, Tenn
Children
Green B. W. MOON b: 1836 in Cannon County, Tenn
Benjamin MOON b: 24 JAN 1839 in Cannon County, Tenn
William J. MOON b: 1840 in Cannon County, Tenn
Elizabeth MOON b: 1842 in Cannon County, Tenn
Mary A. MOON b: 1845 in Cannon County, Tenn
Richard D. MOON b: 1848 in Cannon County, Tenn
Caleb MOON b: 1850 in Cannon County, Tenn
Sarah MOON b: 1852 in Cannon County, Tenn
Francisis MOON b: 1854 in Cannon County, Tenn
Martha MOON b: 1857 in Cannon County, Tenn
Garrett M. MOON b: 8 MAR 1858 in Cannon County, Tenn

Vivian Pappas (View posts)
Posted: 1034367997000
Surnames: Moon, Wiliams, Elmore,Totten, Akins, Jones, Potroff, Bryant, Starr
So much has been happening that I don't remember if I answered your message . Yes I would like to contact someone who has been researching Alexander Samuel Moon and the rest of the Moons. I corresponded with Marvin, my first cousin, but haven't heard from him in quite some time. Any help is appreciated.

Posted: 1108372805000
Alexander Samuel Moon was also my great great grandfather. I am descended through Garrett's son Bryan. The trees I have found online all list him incorrectly as Bryant. His full given name was William Jennings Bryan Moon and he was always called Bryan. He married Mardie Angeline Locke in 1920. My father, Thomas Lee Moon, was their oldest child. Bryan was born July 21, 1900 in Oklahoma. He died in 1977 and is buried in the cemetery at Gould, OK. My grandmother died in June, 1972 in Hobbs, NM. She is also buried in the Gould cemetery. There are a large number of Moon relatives buried there. My Aunt Winona could give you more information if you would like. You can contact me at PJackTAC@yahoo.com if you would like to exchange information.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic