Search for content in message boards

Catherine Vance of Fayette Co., PA

Catherine Vance of Fayette Co., PA

Richard Vance Wadding (View posts)
Posted: 969624000000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Vance, Shaw
I'm looking for information on my ancestor Catherine Vance, b. 1796; d. 4/24/1863 in Connellsville, Fayette Co., PA married to Nathan Shaw, b. 2/15/1790 in NJ; d. 7/2/1874 in Connellsville, Fayette Co., PA.

Re: Catherine Vance of Fayette Co., PA

Posted: 1369753939000
Surnames: Vance Shaw
I am searching for Catherine's brother Joshua Vance. I believe he is her sister because both Catherine Vance and Margaret Vance married Shaw brothers and in a 1904 newspaper article in the Daily Courier of Connellsville it mentions that Catherine Vance Shaw was the sister of the recently departed Joshua Vance. Joshua died late enough that his obituary would be in the Courier except that several days are missing that would contain the obit. This is one of may most frustrating Obits. Several family trees suggest that a son of Moses Vance was their father but he would have had to be too young to father the children.

Posted: 1369764148000
Edited: 1369765939000
(**Edit: In looking back, Crawford is probably who you were referring to who was too young to be their father - so you surely had seen all that first stuff already - sorry!)

The biographical annals of Fayette County say that Catherine (Katherine) Vance who married Nathan Shaw was the daughter of Crawford Vance (and Susan Clayton). Together with your newspaper article, that would imply that Joshua Vance was also Crawford Vance's son.

However, that seems impossible, since Crawford Vance was of the same generation - thought to have been born in 1806... perhaps he was actually Catherine and Joshua's brother? The biographical annuals are filled with many small mistakes as they were usually compiled from interviews with friends and relatives many years later and they usually never checked their stories. So it's possible someone knew they were connected to Crawford but forgot if he was the father or the brother... thin evidence but perhaps something to look into and see if there are connections in land deeds or other records.

In any case the link for the mention of Katherine Vance and her father in the annals of Fayette County is here: http://books.google.com/books?id=g1zYAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA552&a....

Crawford Vance connects into a known Vance family; he was the grandson of John Vance and Margaret White Vance who were early surveyers in Fayette Co. John was the brother of Hannah Vance who married Col. William Crawford.

Some information on Crawford and his Vance line is here: http://genealogy.jvans.co.uk/getperson.php?personID=I6418&am....

Sorry it's not much, but hope that helps. There ARE several active members of the Vance Family Association (VFA) researching these Vance lines, you might try contacting the association (www.vancefamilyassociation.org) and see if anyone has more up to date information.

Also if you know of any direct male descendants of the Vances in your family (that probably still have "Vance" as their last name) who might be willing to get their y-DNA tested, the Vance y-DNA project (www.vancegenealogy.com) could establish which of the Vance families in Fayette Co. they connect to. The y-DNA is passed only from fathers to sons which is why there has to be a surviving direct male descendant to test.

Dave

Posted: 1556037578000
Catherine Vance is my mother's mother's mother's mother's mother's mother's mother. That means I and my mother has the same mitochondrial DNA that Catherine had. My mother's mitochondrial DNA has been tested with Family Tree DNA and she has an exact match with a man whose parents were from Scotland. Based on this finding I think it is likely that Catherine's maternal line was probably Scots-Irish, a common ethnicity in Western Pennsylvania at the time.

There are several strategies in which we could use these mitochondrial DNA results to test theories on Catherine's parentage.
1. We could track Margaret (Vance) Shaw's mitochondrial descendants and ask one of them to be tested.
2. We could track the mitochondrial descendants of the sisters of the wives of other Vance men in the area who were old enough to be Catherine's father.

Don
per page

Find a board about a specific topic