Search for content in message boards

Sattes Cemetery, Charleston, WV

Sattes Cemetery, Charleston, WV

Posted: 1344958900000
Classification: Cemetery
I have very sad news if you are looking for friends or loved ones at Sattes Cemetery. The public access is completely blocked by fallen trees. I reached it by a private route and found it to be completely overgrown. I was searching for my grandfather's and grandmother's graves, but that is now impossible. I'm afraid that the cemetery has been reclaimed by Mother Earth.

Re: Sattes Cemetery, Charleston, WV

Posted: 1352876640000
Classification: Query
I was at Sattes Cemetery this past weekend. You can now go through most of it, but it is highly overgrown. My family and I intend on cleaning as much of it up as we can as soon as the weather permits.

Posted: 1352922940000
That is wonderful news. I will go back and try again. Thank you for the update and for your work to clean it up.

Posted: 1352958635000
Everyone is more than welcome. We would love to find our family members who are there. Hope your next trip is much better.

Posted: 1372570071000
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Miller
Hi, I saw your earlier posts. My great grandfather is buried there, per his death certificate. Charles R Miller, 1872-1938. That is wonderful that you would do some work to clean it up! I am in California, or I would be very happy to help. I am very interested if there are still any markers, especially my gr grandfathers, of course. If there is something that I can do from out here to help, please let me know. Grateful for your help. Nancy S., Lancaster CA

Posted: 1382841484000
Could you please tell me where this cemetery is located. I can't seem to find any information on it. My grandmothers sister is buried there. She died in 1909 at the age of 9. Her name was Georgia A. Mundy

Posted: 1396225737000
Please let me know if you plan to clean up the cemetery anytime soon. I would be more than happy to assist you! My 3rd great grandparents are buried there. My name is Donny Jones and my email is JacksonCoRebel@gmail.com if you would like to arrange a time to work up there. I am on here daily, also, if you'd prefer to just talk through messages on here.

Posted: 1430532457000
I have able bodied sons that will clean it up if someone can show me how to get there! I have family buried there and would love to get it cleaned up. My dad used to do it but he is in bad health now.

Posted: 1432293572000
Surnames: Waugh, Smith
According to a map I found on Google, it is in Charleston. Washington Street West (or alternate 7th avenue), to Hannah Street to York Street. I went there years ago with my grandmother but I don't know if these are correct directions or not. I can't clean up trees etc., but once the really bad part is cleaned up, we can help keep it maintained. My great grandfather and others are buried here.

Posted: 1507205921000
Sattes Cemetery Restoration Project: My husband and I visited the Sattes Cemetery in September this year and due to ongoing restoration were able to find the graves of his ancestors Joseph and Almira Lewis Taylor. The cemetery was accessible from the York Avenue entrance and is being looked after by a young couple living nearby. They helped us find the graves we were looking for and told us about an article in the Sunday, September 3, 2017, Charleston "Gazette" outlining the restoration project. That Sattes-Parrish Cemetery Association has obtained a grant to assist in the restoration of this cemetery. There are over 640 burials in the cemetery. If you are interested in joining the Sattes-Parrish Cemetery Association and in helping with the restoration please call 304-941-9223.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic