Old Joe's name came from Mayhew a Norse softening of Mathew and his ancestors were not David Burke, but Mayo listed below:
William Mayo born of Poushot near Devizes, Wiltshire, Eng, married Joanne ____.
Colonial Families In the U.S., Vol. II, p. 506 Mayo to Trevillian.
2. i Joseph Mayo born Aug 1656.
2. Joseph Mayo (1.William1) born Aug 1656, Poulshot, Wiltshire, Eng, married Elizabeth Hooper, born of Frome, Selwood, Somerset, Eng, died 20 May 1740, Md. 2nd, ------ Styles of Somersetshire, Eng. Joseph buried: 10 Nov 1691.
VA Mag. of Hist. & Bio. vol 32 p. 55; may have been born in or near Frome, Sumersetshire, Eng
i Elizabeth Mayo born by 3 Dec 1682.
3.ii Maj. William Mayo born by 4 Nov 1684.
iii Sarah Mayo.
iv Mary Mayo born by 19 June 1689.
v Joseph Mayo born 25 Mar 1692, Frome, Selwood, Somerset, Eng, born posthumously.
3. Maj. William Mayo (2.Joseph2, 1.William1) born by 4 Nov 1684, ? Poulshot ?, Wiltshire ?, England, occupation Goochland, VA surveyor, married (1) pre 1712, in Barbados Island ? England ?, Frances (Gould) Gold, died by 1731, dau. of Enoch Gold, married (2) Ann Perratt of Barbados Island, ca 1732, in VA ?, Ann Perratt, born of Barbados Island, died pre Dec 1773, Cumberland, VA, dau. of John Perratt of Barbados Island.
Maj. died 20 Oct 1744, Richmond, Goochland ?, VA, 1740 Col. of VA Militia; in VA ca 1723. in Barbados 1717-21, in VA ca 1723, Laid out the city of Richmond, VA in 1737. Mayo River in VA named for him; 1st Justice of the Peace of Goochland, VA, surveyor 1728; resided at Powhatan, "Fine Creek", VA; laid out the city of Petersburg and ran the dividing line between VA and NC; may have been a Col.; Mayo families who were buried at "Powhatan Seat" were moved Apr 1894 to Hollywood cemetery, Richmond, VA.
VA Magazine of Hist. & Biog. Vol 32 p. 55; his wife Anne administrated his estate March 1746 Ann: administratress of Wm Mayo's estate March 1746; VA Mag. of Hist. & Bio. vol. 32 p. 55; will probated 27 Dec 1773, Cumberland co., VA
Children by Frances (Gould) Gold:
i Anne Mayo born 1712, Barbados Island, died 15 Feb 1785, Md. 1732 to George Carrington.
ii Sarah Mayo born ca 1714, Barbados Island, 9 children, alive 1743, Md. 2 times, 1. --- Jones; 2. Dr. Joseph Scott.
iii Mary Mayo born ca 1716, Barbados Island, died alive 1743, , Amelia, VA, Md. Edmund Gray.
iv Hester Mayo born pre 1723, Barbados Island, died post 1723, died young in VA.
v Elizabeth Mayo died young, Va.
vi William Mayo died young, Va.
Children by Ann Perratt:
vii Daniel Mayo born ca 1733, Va, died by 23 Feb 1761, Md. Mary ----, had issue.
viii Rebecca Mayo born 1735, Va, died pre 1762, Great Guinea Creek ?, Cumberland, VA, 4 children, Md. Henry Macon (d. 1785).
ix John Mayo born 1736/7, Va, married Mary Tabb. John died 17 Jan 1786/80, Powhatan Co? Henrico? Richmond?, VA, buried: "Powhatan Seat", VA, 5 children.
4. x Joseph Mayo born ca 1739.
4. Joseph Mayo (3.Maj.3, 2.Joseph2, 1.William1) born ca 1739, Va, married pre 1762, in Va, Martha Tabb, resided in Gloucester Co., VA. Joseph died post Nov 1802, Fine Creek ?, Cumberland, VA, buried: , Cumberland, VA.
Mayo families that were buried at "Powhatan Seat" were moved in April 1894 to Hollywood cemetery, Richmond, VA; Joseph's will is dated 26 Nov 1802; VA Mag. of Hist. & Bio. vol. 32 p.55
i Daniel Mayo born 29 Sep 1762, Va, 9 children, Md. Mary Carter.
ii Susanna Mayo born 22 Apr 1764, Va, died 1799, Va, buried: Va, never married.
iii William Mayo born 6 Jan 1766, Va, died 1851, 7 children, Md. his cousin, Catherine Mayo.
5. iv Mary Mayo born 3 Dec 1767.
v Philip Mayo born 31 Mar 1769, 3 children, Md. Susan Teackle.
vi Joseph Mayo born 21 Mar 1771, died 1 Oct 1820, Md. 28 Jul 1792, Md. Jane Poythress; 9 children.
vii Rebecca Mayo born 10 Nov 1772, died 1816, Mecklenburg, VA, 3 children, Md. Col. Grief Green (Duff?). Blood Royal, Vol. 5, p. 265; married grandson of Thos. and Eliz. Marston Green
viii Lucy Mayo born 27 Apr 1775, 2 children, Md. 1 -- Swann, 2. Col Robt Hyde Saunders.
ix George Mayo born 22 Oct 1776, died 20 June 1832, Washington, D.C., no issue.
x John Mayo born 17 Sep 1778, died 18 Mar 1779, Philadelphia.
xi Martha Mayo born 20 Oct 1780, 4 children, Md. 1 David Woodfin, 2 John W Bass.
xii MD. Edward Mayo born 10 May 1782, occupation Doctor, died 1847, 6 children, Md. Sarah Pleasants.
xiii MD. Robert Mayo born 25 Apr 1784, occupation Doctor, died ? Washington, D.C., 2 children, Md. Elizabeth Catherine Harbaugh.
xiv Sarah Ann Mayo born 19 Jan 1786, died ? Goochland, VA, no issue, Md. Dr. Thomas Peers pre 1815.
xv Thomas Tabb Mayo born 27 Nov 1789.
5. Mary Mayo (4.Joseph4, 3.Maj.3, 2.Joseph2, 1.William1) born 3 Dec 1767, married (1) Benjamin Watkins, died by 1815, married (2) pre 27 Jun 1815, Col. John Trevillian, died pre 1820, of Goochland, VA. Mary 5 children.
Colonial Families of the U.S. page 506; Mayo family originally from Wiltshire, England; Some Emigrants To VA by Stanard p. 58 says Wm. Mayo (1684-1744) of Goochland, VA, son of Joseph Mayo and Eliz. Hooper from Selwood, Somerset, Eng "Richmond Standard" newspaper 17 July 1880; Cabells and Their Kin
Children by Benjamin Watkins:
i Martha Watkins died Missouri ?, Md. Samuel Dyer. moved to Missouri
ii Jane Watkins died Goochland ?, VA, Md. Dr. Thomas Curd.
Children by Col. John Trevillian:
6. iii Harriet Tabb Trevillion born 15 Feb 1801.
iv Lucy Ann Trevillian died Goochland ?, VA, Md. Thomas Baker (Baber?).
v Col. John M. Trevillian died , Goochland ?, VA, Md. Mary Argyle.
6. Harriet Tabb Trevillion (5.Mary5, 4.Joseph4, 3.Maj.3, 2.Joseph2, 1.William1) born 15 Feb 1801, Goochland?, VA, married 21 Sep 1820, in Johnson's Spring, Goochland, VA, Edward Osbourne Watkins, born 6 Mar 1800/01, Chesterfield, VA, (son of Robert Watkins and Mary "Polly" Osbourne) occupation farmer, died ? 1865, Chesterfield?, VA, buried: ?Presque'Isle?, Chesterfield?, VA. Harriet died 15 Nov 1858, "Presqu'isle", Chesterfield, VA, buried: "Presqu'isle", Chesterfield, VA.
Colonial Families of the U.S., p. 506; she resided before marriage at Fine Creek, Cumberland, VA; Presque'Isle is now a game refuge on the James River. her tombstone in 1993 reads "Harriet wife of E.O.. Watkins and daughter of John & Mary Trevilian of Goochland died at her residence in Presque Isle, Chesterfield Co. Nov. 15, 1858 aged 57 years and 9 months" Edward: resided at "Presqu'isle", Chesterfield, VA (now a wild bird refuge) - He took oath of allegiance to the Federal Gov't 17 May 1864 - Va. Gen. Vol 17 p. 253 Mayo family originated from Wiltshire, England; Watkins family sold the land to Dr. A. D. Williams who donated the island to the U.S. as a refuge in 1951. Mr. Wm Randolph immigrated to Presque'Isle in 1660, living here many years and called it "Curles Neck" (Turkey Creek Island).
7. i Mary Louise "Nannie""Sally" Watkins born 09 Sep 1820.
ii Robert Henry Watkins born 1826/27, Chesterfield, VA, died post 1863, Tennessee, no issue, Md. Lucy Anderson of TN.
iii Martha Jane Watkins born 1828/29, died alive 1864, ?Chesterfield, VA, never married. Age 21 in 1850; took oath of Allegiance 28 Nov 1864 to the Federal Government.
iv Ann Augusta Watkins born 1830/31, Chesterfield, VA, died Lynchburg, VA, 3 children, Md. "Waddy" Shelton.
v Edward Mayo Watkins born ? 1832, Chesterfield, VA, died 1874, Powhatan, VA, 3 children, Md. Ann Fitzhugh Lay (1829-1906). in 1870 he had 3 children
vi Sarah "Sally" Osbourne Watkins born c 1835/36, Chesterfield, VA, died 18 Jun 1858, Presque'Isle, Chesterfield, VA, buried: Presque'Isle, Chesterfield, VA, no issue, Md. Dr. David May (1825- )of Petersburg. her tombstone in 1993 reads "Sallie O. May, wife of Dr. David H. May of Peters burg and daughter of E.O. & Harriet T. Watkins, died at Presqu'Isle, Chesterfield Co. June 18 1858 aged 23 years"
vii Harriet Trevillian Watkins born post? 1835, ?Chesterfield, VA, died May/Jun 1847, Chesterfield, VA, buried: ?Presque'Isle, Chesterfield, VA, never married.
7. Mary Louise "Nannie""Sally" Watkins (6.Harriet6, 5.Mary5, 4.Joseph4, 3.Maj.3, 2.Joseph2, 1.William1) born 09 Sep 1820, ?"Presqu'isle", Chesterfield Co., Va., married 01 Dec 1837, in Presqu'isle, Chesterfield Co., Va, Paulus Aurelius Clay, born 11 Oct 1807, Bedford Co., Va., (son of Rev. Charles Green Clay and Editha Landon Davies) occupation Episcopalian minister, died 18 Sep 1880, Amherst Co. ?, Lynchburg ?, Va., ? Capt. CSA ?. Mary died 16 Jul 1855, "Pettygrove", Forest, Bedford Co., Va, buried: plantation, Pettygrove now "Ivy Hill" Golf Course.