Search for content in message boards

Wyoming County Almshouse

Wyoming County Almshouse

Posted: 1004941799000
Classification: Query
Can anyone give me some information on the Wyoming County Almshouse. I have a death certificate from 1912 for my great-grandmother's brother that says he died there after suffering a compound fracture in a fall and having his leg amputated. He had a wife & 5 children so I am wondering why he was there. Could it have been also used as a type of nursing home?

Re: Wyoming County Almshouse

Posted: 1375717936000
I recently acquired the following info on the poor house as my GGG Grandfather died there in 1884.

hope this helps:

Information about the Poor Farm is sketchy at best. It was something not written about that much.

The census have a separate listing and from what I can tell they were listed by the time that they were institutionalized. The Poor Farm is in the Town of Orangeville.

The Poor Farm changed over the years. Sometimes people came and went, sometimes they stayed until they died. I even found one person who seemed to wander from Poor Farm to Poor Farm.

The earliest Poor Farm was where the indigent could be taken care of. Towns were assessed money for the care of every inmate from their Town. (A Town in NY is a subdivision of a county; a village is where the grocery store and post office are located.) A section of it was the mental asylum.

Later on the stigma of the Poor Farm lessened and you read in the paper how someone had sold their house and were going to live at the Poor Farm as a paying customer..... basically assisted living. In the later years it was basically a care facility. In the papers you read how some church group entertained at the Poor Farm. I think it closed in the 1950s or so. It is now a huge dairy farm.

Posted: 1375740967000
Edited: 1555118561000
There are some awesome pictures of the Wyoming County Almshouse, if you look online; search for Harvard Art Museums, or Harvard University Library Open Collections Program, Social Museums Collection, Charity, Public: United States. New York. Varysburg. Wyoming County Almshouse: Almshouses of Wyoming County, N.Y. I would give you the website but I don't think we are supposed to put them here. If you can't find it, put your email here and I will reply with the website and some copies of the pictures. There is a small graveyard and I think the graves are numbered, without names. Maybe the Wyoming Co. historian would know more. Today the spot is not only on a huge dairy farm, it borders the Hidden Valley Animal Adventure.

Posted: 1375745183000
Thank you. I will definitely look for those photos.

Posted: 1414450794000
Hi, who was the person? I have a few records

Posted: 1414451316000
His name was Patrick Maloy.

Posted: 1454967265000
Hi b_hoffman_durfee.

I'm curious about the records that you have. What information is available? Where are the records physically located? Is it possible for me to view them?

I'm looking for evidence that Fred Moltrup may have been there around 1940.

Posted: 1463100430000
hi, I don't know anything about the Almshouse other than what was written in this thread, but I grew up in the area and I won this postcard on ebay years ago. Here's what it looked like.
Attachments:

Posted: 1527865931000
Was there a date associated with the posted picture of the Wyoming County Almshouse that was purchased on eBay?

Posted: 1559137105000
I am looking also in the same one Jacob Bauer died in April 1921 at the age of 91 - Would you have anything on him?

Does the Almshouse kept archives or patient/inmate records, do you know?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic