Search for content in message boards

Tom Day

Posted: 963494942000
Edited: 994702269000
Tom Day B 1838, died 1924 Tx, marr 1882 Tx to Margaret Jane Meek B 1835 Tx, died 1929 Tx looking for his parents?
Also Octavia Day B 2/8/1842 Ill, died 7/22/1877 Tx Marr 7/21/1859Tx To Christopher C. Meek B 2/12/1838 Tn, died 8/20/1924 Ok.
I wonder if they could be sister brother?

Thanks

Re: Tom Day

Posted: 1142296279000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Meek, Day, Ethridge
Tom Day and Emily Octavia Day Meek were brother and sister. They were from the Day family which owned a grist mill in Vandalia, Illinois. The Day family originated in England. Tom and Emily Octavia were some of the younger children. I am not sure the parents' names. They had another sibling who settled in Bosque County, Texas, and a brother Peter Day, who bought a portion Great-Great-Great Grandfather John Meek's land when he sold out in Collin County, Texas and moved to Erath County in the late 1850s.

Tom Day died of measles in about 1863 in the Civil War. He had one child by Margaret Jane Meek Day.

Emily Octavia Day married Christopher Columbus Meek in Collin County, Texas and they migrated to Erath County with Grandpa John Meek. Emily died in the birth of their ninth child and the baby was lost as well. She is buried at Brooks Cemetery in Paluxy, Texas.

Posted: 1348340266000
Surnames: Day, Duncan, Meek
I was wondering where you found the info that Peter Day was the brother of Tom Day & Emily Octavia Day Meek? In doing research with other family members on the Day/Duncan families, I have never run across a son named Peter for Richard Day & Sarah Duncan. Would really like to have info on this Peter. Thanks.

Posted: 1369268595000
Surnames: Day, Meek
After further research, I now believe that Peter might have been another relative of Tom Day. They were both in Collin County, Texas at the same time and Peter Day moved to Somervell County, Texas very near where Tom Day and his wife, Margaret Jane Meek Day lived on the Paluxy River. At the time he moved there Somervell County was part of Hood County.

I have not been able to make a direct connection with Tom Day's family and Peter Day. He maybe a cousin or Uncle of Tom Day's father.

Hope this helps.

Janet Saltsgiver

Posted: 1369322989000
Surnames: Day, Graham, Meek
I haven't found any evidence that Peter Day was related to Tom Day. Peter isn't a common name handed down in any of Tom Day's brothers or uncle's families. We don't know any thing about Tom Day's father's family. We do know that Tom's grandparents, Henry Day & Hannah Graham married in Stokes co NC, moved to Logan co KY where Henry died. Hannah Graham Day moved to IL with most of her children. Census records show that Peter Day was born in VA as were his parents. Tom Day's father was born in NC, married in Logan co KY. There is an Family Tree entry on Ancestry, Titled Day Family Tree-Public Member with Photos. The owner is Rick Day. He has 8 attached records, 9 sources; This is under Joseph Powell Day b 1 Jun 1768 d Apr 1856 Carroll co VA, m/1 Rhoda Cock; m/2 Rebecca Dunn on 10 Aug 1796 Grayson co VA. Peter is listed a Simon Peter Day on this tree; b 18 Mar 1836 Grayson co VA; d 1899 TX. There is a PDF file on the descendants of Joseph Powell Day on this family tree. On the PDF, he does list both wives for Peter Day; 2 ch by 1st wife; 8 ch by 2nd wife {who was married before}. There is a listing for Peter Day on Find A Grave, under Farmersville IOOF cemetery, Farmersville, Collin co TX. There is no info that I have found that shows Peter Day is related to Tom Day who married Margaret Meek. Just a coincidence that these 2 Days were in the same counties at the same time; maybe became friends or because of the last name noticed each other. I am related to Tom Day's Day family 3 ways. Hope this helps.

Posted: 1369521951000
Surnames: Meek, Day, Blanton, Hudson, Osborne, Wilson, Mears
Thanks for answering about Peter Day. My Great-Great-Great Grandfather John Meek, sold 100 acres of the Lemuel Blanton survey, which he had purchased in Collin County to Richard Day in 1857, before he moved to Wise County and later on to Erath County, Texas.

Also, I looked back at my records, it was a Joseph and Susan Day who are buried in the Brazos Point Cemetery in Somervell County. He was a circuit riding Methodist Minister. He lived in Collin County before coming to Brazos Point. The Harrison Stanford family along with that of his father-in-law, Joseph Day, moved to Johnson County (which adjoins Somervell Co.)in 1866. They settled about 18 miles southwest of Cleburne on a section of land beginning about a quarter mile due west from what is now know as "Five Oaks, about a mile east of the old Brazos Point River bridge. The first public crossing on the Brazos in that part of the county was on their land. The first official map of Cleburne shows West Henderson Street to be known as the Day Crossing Road.

There also was a Jefferson A. Day who served as the first postmaster of Brazos Point. Are any of these families related to Peter Day or to our Tom Day?

This information comes from a cousin of mine, Ella Lee Hudson Osborne, who wrote a self published book "In Remembrance of our Ancestors" from a newspaper column she published in the Glen Rose Reporter Newspaper. She grew up in the Brazos Point Community and married one of my Osborne cousins. She was related to Joseph Day, through Alice Francis Day, a daughter of Joseph Day. Alice Day married Washinton "Wash" Hudson. Alice was born August 10, 1866, and died young on February 10 1896. Alice and Wash had three sons, Jessie, Elmer, and Rube, also three daughers, Ethel, Earl, and Dora. Wash later married Fannie Wilson Mears, and they had one girl Ruth "Sis" Hudson.

Hope this helps with some of the Day family history.

Posted: 1554995481000
Surnames: Day, Hudson, Duncan, Lansford, Watson, Howell, Graham
Tom Day wasn't related to Jefferson A Day. Nor to Joseph Day or Washington Hudson.

His parents (Richard Day & Sarah Duncan) moved back to Fayette co IL before the 1870 census. Some of their children who had also moved to Collin co, went back to IL. His brothers, Willis & William served in a TX Confederate unit during Civil War.

His sister Lucy & husband Wm. Lansford were in Collin co in 1860; went back to IL. His brother, George, was in Collin co in 1860; went back to IL.
His sister, Francis Julia, married Benjamin Watson in Collin co. Stayed in TX for awhile; died OK.
His sister, Elizabeth, married George Howell in Collin co TX; stayed in TX for awhile, but died in OK.

The Day family was from Stokes co NC, moved to Logan co KY. Father, Henry, died in Logan co KY about 1821. His widow, Hannah Graham, and most of their children moved to IL. The Day family had close ties to the Graham family & Duncan family in KY & IL.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic