Search for content in message boards

Lee County records at Illinois State Archives

Lee County records at Illinois State Archives

Posted: 1404392969000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Eason, Tippy
Good day,
I live in Canada and will be traveling to Illinois later this month to research a branch of my family tree. According to Census records, a sibling of my great-grandmother spent time in the Lincoln State School & Colony (1920 Census) and then the Dixon State Hospital (1930 Census). This individual's name was Katie (Eason) Tippy, and I believe she passed away in 1936, still in the Dixon State Hospital.
As I understand it, some of the records from these institutions are housed at the Illinois State Archives in Springfield (Case Files, Admissions Records, etc.). According to the Internet, "access to some of these records is restricted according to the provisions of the Mental Health Code and the State Records Act of 1957 as amended." What exactly does this mean? Can anyone tell me whether I might be allowed access to any of these records?
Thank you in advance,
Susan McLaughlin

Re: Lee County records at Illinois State Archives

Posted: 1404440086000
Hi Susan,
The Lee Co. Genealogical Society death index showed:
Katy Tippy b. 1 Jan 1879, died 2 Feb. 1936.
If you visit Dixon, go to the old Lee County Courthouse to ask for a copy of her death certificate.

The Lee County Clerk & Recorder's Office is located in the Old Lee County Courthouse.

Contact Information:

Address: 112 E. Second St.
PO Box 329
Dixon, IL 61021

The new fee schedule effective July 1, 2012:

Death Certfied Copy - $32.00
each additional copy - $12.00

It is located in town near the huge veterans' memorial arch which has DIXON on it. You can't miss is it on Galena Avenue. If someone wrote an obituary for her, you could check the Lee Co. Gen Society also in downtown on Hennepin Ave. between 1st and 2nd street or the Dixon Public Library nearby where they also have microfilmed records.

Where in Canada do you live? I have quite a few cousins there on my mother's side.

Good luck.
Elsie

Posted: 1404441443000
Name: Katy Tippy
[Katy Howard]
Birth Date: abt 1879
Death Date: 2 Feb 1936
Death Place: Dixon, Lee, Illinois
Burial Date: 4 Feb 1936
Burial Place: Dixon, Lee, Illinois
Cemetery Name: Dixon State Hosp.
Death Age: 57
Race: White
Marital Status: M
Residence: Dixon, Lee, Illinois
Father Name: Everet Howard
Comments: 10y 11m 19d of this place
FHL Film Number: 1765829

Posted: 1404445497000
Hi Elsie,
That's an excellent idea, perhaps I should start with a Death Certificate. Dixon wouldn't be too far out of my way at all, as we may be flying into Chicago. I'm not optimistic that anyone would have written an obituary for Katy Tippy, as there was almost no one left by 1936, or no one that knew she was there.
I live in Swift Current, Saskatchewan. Do you have any relatives on the Canadian prairies?
I'm going to comment on your second posting separately.
Thank you!!
Susan

Posted: 1404447631000
Hi again Elsie,
I'm not sure what to make of this information. All the puzzle pieces I've come across to date point to the probability that Katy Tippy is the sister of my g-grandmother. But their father is George W. Eason, who died in 1893. Not Everet Howard. So I'm wondering if this is an error of some kind? Even if the Death Certificate contains the same information, I'm still inclined to think there has been a mistake. Do you have any indication what or who the source for this information is?
Susan

Posted: 1404458560000
Her death just happened to occur during a period of time that showed up on Ancestry.com
under this title:
All Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947 results for Katy Tippy

What was the source of your information regarding the death date and place?
Maybe you are back to square one.
Elsie

Posted: 1404460821000
On my Dad's side:
Wilfred Laurence "Larry" Brink b. 4 Aug 1926, Swift Current, Died 21 Sept 2003 in Calgary. He had a career with the Medicine Hat police force and held all ranks in the criminal investigation branch, retired as an inspector in 1989 after 36 yrs.
His son Rick (Richard) has a website.
http://business.financialpost.com/2012/08/27/how-weddingstar...

Flora Ellen Brink Hedstrom lived in Swift Current, passed away in 1988.

Mary Brink Wiley's last place of residence was in Maple Ridge, B.C when her brother Larry passed away. She would have been 86 then.

Erma Brink Nerada was in Vancouver in 1974.

Raymond Martin Brink lived in Swift Current at one time but passed away Chilliwack, B.C. in 2008.

On my mother' side, I have a cousin in Harrow, Essex, Ontario and one in Guelph, Ontario. Those two I met online and we have been corresponding regularly. I found a lot of information about my family from them. They are closer to my age. One a 2nd cousin and one a 3rd cousin.

If you think of something else on Katy, let me know. It would save a hundred mile trip from Chicago to Dixon. When I say her father's name on that death record, I didn't know what to think. We hadn't talked about her father.

Elsie

Posted: 1404501574000
Elsie,
It probably helps if I give you some context? I have something written up about Katie. If you are interested, email me directly at mclaughlingc@shaw.ca and I will send it to you. If you live in the area, you may be able to make suggestions based on the details.
Susan

Posted: 1404681923000
I’m not related to any member of this family.

1940 is the last available census at this time.

Name: Katie Tippy
Birth Year: abt 1878
Birthplace: Kansas
Home in 1930: Dixon, Lee, Illinois
Marital Status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Inmate
Father's Birthplace: United States
Mother's Birthplace: Illinois
Occ> - kitchen worker
Dixon State Hosp.

1920 -
Name: Kate Tippy
[Katie Tippy]
Birth Year: abt 1879
Birthplace: Kansas
Home in 1920: West Lincoln, Logan, Illinois
Relation to Head of House: Inmate
Marital Status: Single
Father's Birthplace: United States of America
Mother's Birthplace: Illinois
Able to Read: No
Able to Write: No
Census date - 1/15/1920
no occ

1910 -
Katie (Eason) Tippy is not listed in KS or ILL.

WHO did she marry??
Need his 1st name + DOB + birthplace.

Suspect that Katie (Eason) Tippy is a nick name.

You wrote - "... a sibling of my great-grandmother spent time in the Lincoln State School & Colony (1920 Census) and then the Dixon State Hospital (1930 Census). .."
Need 1st and last name + DOB + birthplace for this sibling.

Posted: 1404693182000
The original message was from Susan. Katy/Katie was an Eason and Susan doesn't know who she married. I couldn't find her with a husband. One census showed she was married at age 20, so around 1900 or shortly before. Could have been in Kansas. Some of her siblings were adopted after they moved there from Williamson Co., IL. and she might have been also - see death record below which has a different father's name. However, an obit. for her sister Effie Eason in 1926 mentioned her sister Kate Tippy being in Dixon, IL.
Name: Katy Tippy
[Katy Howard]
Birth Date: abt 1879
Death Date: 2 Feb 1936
Death Place: Dixon, Lee, Illinois
Burial Date: 4 Feb 1936
Burial Place: Dixon, Lee, Illinois
Cemetery Name: Dixon State Hosp.
Death Age: 57
Marital Status: M
Residence: Dixon, Lee, Illinois
Father Name: Everet Howard
Comments: 10y 11m 19d of this place
FHL Film Number: 1765829

So we know she was buried in the cemetery beside Dixon State Hospital. She was b. 23 Aug 1880 the dtr. of George and Rhoda Eason, Williamson Co. birth records. Since their is a big gap between 1880 and 1900 it has been hard to locate her. I tried 1900 as a Howard, just in case; tried spelling first name many ways, birth year, birth state, etc. No luck there.
Katy's name did not come up in the pre-1948 Dixon newspaper index so probably no obituary

Thanks for jumping on board. Maybe you can help figure this out.

Elsie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic