Search for content in message boards

SHAW, George

SHAW, George

Chris Wilson (View posts)
Posted: 1014693844000
Classification: Query
Surnames: SHAW
Ok, since I last posted I have tracked down a little more information. I've been looking for my ggGrandfather George Newton Shaw. He's been located in Duncan Cemetery. However, now I've hit a brick wall of sorts. I know that his fathers name was George SHAW and his mothers first name was Barbra. Supposedly they were from Kentucky. Information I've gathered indicateds George Sr. died around 1875 and T.D. Calvin of Nashville was appointed guardian of George Newton SHAW.

Here is an excerpt from the Brown County Court Records:

Shaw, George, dec'd - Application for Letters of Guardianship, dated February 13, 1875. George N. Shaw, minor heir of decedent, was 19 on August 6, 1874. Being over age 14, he is permitted to elect his own guardian. He elects T.D. Calvin to act as his Guardian. Final Report dated January 20, 1880: Mr. Calvin informs Court that he took out Letters of Guardianship in order to obtain $500.00 (belonging to his ward) from Kentucky. Ward now (1880) has reached legal age and has received the money due him. No money has come into the hands of the guardian who says he cannot pay administrative fees. He resigns. Box 53, file 18.

Does anyone out there know how much more information would be in the Court file? Would the letters of Guardianship be in that file indicating where Mr. Calvin obtained the $500? If I could locate a town/county that George Sr. was from it might help me. I can find NO death records or birth records for George Sr. so I don't know where to go from here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks!

Re: SHAW, George

Posted: 1014763844000
Edited: 1014842798000
Surnames: Wise, Watts, Lane, Hatchet, and many others from Brown Co.
Hello Chris,

I have George Newton Shaw married to Ellen Higbie, March 29 1879, Brown County, Indiana,.Her mother married second my gr grandfather John B. Hatchet, January 19, 1858, BrownCounty, Indiana,. I have both George and Ellen buried at Duncan,. I also have my gr aunt Catharine Wise, married to Robert Shaw not much on this family. Would be interested in finding out more.
Regards Lee

Chris Wilson (View posts)
Posted: 1014815357000
Surnames: SHAW, HIGBEE, WEBB, HATCHET,
Lee,

Thanks! You just filled in a major gap for me. I was almost certain that Lavinia Webb, Ellen's mother, had remarried a Hatchet.

I do know where George and Ellen are buried. George also has a half brother, Charles W. Shaw buried a few rows back from he and Ellen. The research I've done thus far indicates that he was married to Mary Hatchet and also to Anne Higbee. I still haven't sorted out all the information I recovered over the weekend so I'm not exactly sure of timelines.

I have quite a bit of information on the Higbee's but not alot on Lavinia. What I've found thus far is that Lavinia was born sometime after 1794 in Higbeetown, Atlantic County, New Jersey. She married Edward Higbee on March 19, 1846 near Madison, Jefferson County, Indiana. They had two children (that I know of) Anne b. 1851 and Ellen Edward Higbee b. 9/26/1855.

Many thanks for your reply. If you would like me to pass on any more information about Lavinia (or the Higbee's for that matter) as I find it out, just let me know!

Chris

Posted: 1014816963000
Edited: 1014842798000
Surnames: Wise, Watts, Lane, Hatchet, Hatchett, Conder, Reddick, and others
Chris, there were four girls all born Indiana, Mary, abt 1845, Harriet, abt 1847, Anna abt 1849, and Ellen, abt 1853. Mary married: Charles Bradley October 24, 1864, Brown County, Indiana. I do not have anything further on them. I am interested in most of the families who lived in and around Brown County. I have been researching since 1962. I have over 3,500 in my files, related directly or indirectly to James Wise Sr. of Maryland, Kentucky, Indiana, Missouri, Iowa, buried in Duncan with many others of his decendents. Interested in any information you may have.
Lee

Posted: 1022955850000
Edited: 1034537267000
Hi:'

I hope you do not mind my jumping in here. I have a Charles Shaw b ca 1847 where? married Belle Thomas Damrell a widow from Monroe Co Indiana.He was her 2nd husband. Charles listed as a Civil War Veteran in Belle's Obit.

Charles buried Duncan Cemetery Brown Co Indiana did 12 Jan 1929
Who was his first wife any chidlren?

Belle Thomas was born In Ky but lived Bloomington Indiana.
Apprecaite any help if any of this sounds familiar.
Must have married Brown County as no record in Monroe Co Ind.
Thanks
Lynn

Kristine J. Polton (View posts)
Posted: 1060217257000
Surnames: Shaw/Higbee & Belle Thomas Damrell
I am the GGGranddaughter of Charles W.Shaw and he had my GGrandmother,Ella Mae Shaw,by his 2nd wife.
Ella Mae married to Robert Christopher Higgenbottom,Ella
Mae was also a 2nd wife too.They had many children,one of
them was my Grandmother---Alice Mary.my Grandmother
married to Wallace Benjamin Lyons of Lin Co,Iowa.Her family
moved to Iowa in 1913,she was 13 when they moved.
Please feel free to e-mail to me.I have never been to get any thing on the Shaw family before, THANK-YOU

Re: Brown Co,Vincennes,Ind --Shaw/Hatchet/Webb/Damrell

Kristine J. Polton (View posts)
Posted: 1115483753000
The family or families I am looking for came to Brown Co,Ind or they were born and died here of Charles Willam Shaw and his 3 wives--Mary J.Hatchett,Anna Higbee and Belle Damrell. I also happen to be looking in the same place for the Higgenbottom Side of my family, The daughter of Charles Shaw ---Ella Mae married to Robert Christopher Higgenbottom.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic