WILLIAM CURTIS YANCEY
SOURCE: Historical Encyclopedia of Louisiana by Ellis A. Davis. Page 687
WILLIAM CURTIS YANCEY, a resident of Shreveport since 1927, is one of that city's best known lumber men, realtors and builders and in association with his partner, Edwin Dickinson, has built and sold over five hundred moderate priced homes and a number of commercial buildings and apartment houses. The Dickinson and Yancey Real Estate Agency was formed in 1932 and the firm built a total of twenty-two homes on Claiborne Avenue and from time to time built and displayed to the public demonstration homes. Mr. Yancey conceived the idea of a "talking" house and at 147 Ockley Drive the firm erected a unique home which contained concealed microphones from which voices came as visitors approached certain spots in the walls and floors. In 1936 the partners organized the Highland Lumber and Supply Company which handles a complete line of lumber and building materials and are distributors in Shreveport for Sewell paints, Byrd Roofing and other standard building materials.
William Curtis Yancey was born in Ola, Arkansas, a son of J. H. Yancey, a planter, and Lena (Love) Yancey. He attended the public schools and after graduating from Hendrix College at Conway, Arkansas, taught in various cities in Arkansas for ten years. After coming to Shreveport in 1927 Mr. Yancey for some time was associated with the Love-Durham Realty Company as a salesman for a year and then went with the Lawhon and Dickinson real estate agency in a similar capacity, later becoming a member of the firm which is now known as Dickinson and Yancey, Realtors.
Mr. Yancey wag married in Ola, Arkansas, on the twenty-third of September, 1917, to Miss Ethel Finley, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Finley. Mr. Finley is a well known cattle man. The four children of Mr. and Mrs. Yancey are Harriet, now married to J. T. Carroll, Jr. who is manager of the lumber yard of the Highland Lumber and Supply Company, William Curtis, Jr., Martha Jean and Carolyn Yancey. Mr. Yancey built the home which the family occupies at 265 Ockley Drive.
Mrs. Yancey is a member of the Parent Teachers Association and Mr. Yancey is very active in the civic life of Shreveport, being a member of the Chamber of Commerce, Shreveport Real Estate Board and chairman of its program committee, and the National Real Estate Association. Mr. Yancey is an earnest student of building and real estate problems and has written many articles on these and kindred subjects for the local press and delivered innumerable addresses to luncheon clubs and other civic bodies. In 1939 he was named president of the Broadmoor Civic Club and is also a member of the Rotary Club and chairman of the Youth Service Committee.