A K Yancey and the Missouri Military Academy
The Missouri Military Academy is an all-boy college prep military school in the United States. The Academy is mainly a boarding school but also offers a day program, a summer school and a summer leadership camp. As a JROTC Honor Unit With Distinction (as designated by the Department of the Army), MMA has the privilege of nominating cadets to the United States Military Academy, the United States Naval Academy, the United States Air Force Academy and the United States Coast Guard Academy. MMA's mission is to empower young men to succeed through a program of academic excellence, character development and leadership training. The athletic teams are known as "The Colonels."
HistoryThe Academy was founded in November 1889 when the citizens of Mexico, Missouri donated funds and 20 acres (81,000 m2) of land for the purpose of establishing a military school. The task of building MMA fell to Col. A.F. Fleet, a US Civil War veteran, who erected the campus' first buildings southwest of the city. When fire destroyed the school's original site in the fall of 1896, Col. Fleet removed the cadets to Culver Military Academy (now the Culver Academies).
In 1900, the Businessmen's Association of Mexico and Col. A.K. Yancey of the Alabama Military Institute rebuilt MMA. The City of Mexico assisted the project with a contribution of $10,000, which was used to purchase the grounds on which the modern Academy is located. On Sept. 20 of that year, the doors of the Academy opened once more.
Upon Col. Yancey's death in 1901, his business partner, Col. William D. Fonville, assumed the office of school superintendent and oversaw the construction of additional barracks. After his retirement in 1911, Col. Fonville was succeeded by Col. W.R. Kohr and, three years later in 1914, by Col. E.Y. Burton.