Search for content in message boards

Former Slave Alfred Yancy

Replies: 1

Former Slave Alfred Yancy

Posted: 1334006822000
Classification: Biography
Surnames: yancey
Newspaper queries posted by former slave Alfred Yancey in New Orleans, LA

Southwestern Christian Advocate (New Orleans, LA).

January 15, 1880:
DEAR EDITOR – I wish to make an effort, through your columns, to find my relatives from whom I have been separated many long years. My name is Alfred; I was owned by Lawyer Abraham Venable, Granville Co., North Carolina, 15 miles from Oxford, the county seat. My mother’s name was Pinkey; brothers’, Monroe, Madison, William, Doctor, Alexander, Joshua and Daniel Russell. Sister’s name was Julia Smiley. I left them in 1838, moved with Jackson Gilmore to Chatham county. Jackson Gilmore married Phoebe Chandler and I married her maid, Agnes, who was a widow with two children named Sallie Ann and Eleanor. I left these children in Moore county, Pinkie, William Monroe in 1844, Erasmus, Overby, Alvis Grosse, then I went to Randolph county with Billy Laughlin, and there were born unto us Josiah Greenbury, Doctor Edward Clark, William Postell, Julia Ann Panthea. In In [sic] 1854 I moved to Lexington, Davidson Co., N.C. There Milton Wolf was born unto us. In 1859 I moved to Mississippi, leaving all behind me except Milton. Address me at Yazoo City, Miss., Box 52.

ALFRED YANCEY
July 8, 1885:
I have seven brothers and one sister. I left them in Granville county, North Carolina, in 1839. We all belonged to a lawyer named Abraham Venable. Mother was named Pinkey and father Joshua. My brothers were Monroe, Addison, William, Dock, Alexander, and David Russell, and sister was named Julia Smiley; she was named after a northern school teacher. I married Agnes Channellton, at Mr. K.D. Channellton’s, in 1837. Our first child was named Pinkey. The we moved from Randolph to Cheatham co., North Carolina. Our young mistress married Jackson Gilmore and carried us there. My sons are named William Monroe, Razamus Oglby and Alvis Cross. We were then sold to a speculator. My wife and I left our children in Moore county, North Carolina, and went back to Randolph county in 1844, and lived with a man named Billy Lamfens. There was born of us sons named Josiah Greenberry and Dockery Clark; one daughter named Julia Ann Phancillar; another son, named Postilla, who died. We were sold again to a speculator by the name of Spruce McCurry, in Lexington, Davidson county, North Carolina. When the old white people died the estate divided and Greenbury, my son, fell to Mr. Aroy Lawfens, who sold him to Mr. Jerry Addison, a speculator, a partner of McCurry; there was a partner with McCurry and Addison named Add March; these men carried off my son Greenbury and sold him in Memphis, Tenn. The last I heard of him he was in the army and discharged. My name was Alfred Venable when I lived in Granville county, North Carolina. I now go by the name Alfred Yancey. Pastors will please read this to their congregations. Address Alfred Yancy, Yazoo City, Miss., or Rev. C.L. Crump, Benton, Miss.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
dyancey1965 1334006822000 
Candace Gray 1345610206000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic