COURT RECORDS - Madison Co., TN

Replies: 0

COURT RECORDS - Madison Co., TN

Posted: 1308228772000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Yancey

State of Tennessee
Madison County

On this the 14th day December 1849 came Howard G. Bledsoe Esqr. before me Stephen Sypert an acting Justice of the Peace for said county & state and made oath that he was well acquainted with John Yancey late a private in Capt. T. P. Jones company of volunteers; in the second Tennessee Regiment. That he knew said John Yancey about three years; that they were fellow soldiers in the same company & that he saw said John Yancey die near Camargo while in the service & of disease contacted while in the line of his duty as such volunteers. That he knew him in Madison County Tennessee before he volunteered & continued to know & see him up to the time of his death. That said Yancey at the time of his death was about twenty one or twenty two years old: that he was of a fair, but freckled complexion; that his hair was sandy or reddish & his eyes were blue or gray. That his occupation had generally been that of a laborer on a farm in Madison County, but at the time he volunteered he was keeping grocery for Frederick W. Yancey his brother in Jackson in said county.
Affiant thinks he knows all the brothers and sisters of said John Yancey & he also knows that said John died without ever having been married & without bearing any child or descendant. The brothers and sisters of said John Yancey are Layton Yancey of Missouri, Napoleon Bonapart Yancey of Texas, Frederick W. Yancey of Jackson Tennessee, Martha Teague wife of Abner Teague of Jackson Tennessee, Elizabeth Stanley widow of John Stanley of Jackson Tennessee, Nancy Carter wife of Thompson Carter of Madison County Tennessee.
There was also another brother named Romulus who died as affiant had heard some two months ago in Missouri. Said Romulus was never married. There was also another brother named Thomas who died leaving a wife & two children in Missouri.
Affiant has known the family of Yancey's for many years. They moved out from Virginia about 15 years ago & affiant has always understood from them that their parents died before they came out. They came from Halifax County & affiant has been there neighbor & associate for many years. Affiant does not know of his own knowledge that they came from Halifax, nor that their parents are dead; but he has often heard them say so in times long past and has never heard it disputed and he fully believes the fact to be so.
Affiant is not interested in this application in any shape or form.

Sworn to & subscribed before me the 14th Dec. 1849 and I certify said H. G. Bledsoe to be a respectable credible witness. Stephen Sypert JP

State of Tennessee
Madison County

On this the 14th Dec 1849 came Thomas Beverage a respectable credible witness residing in said county, before me Stephen Sypert a Justice of the peace for said county and made oath that he was well acquainted with John Yancey before he volunteered in Capt Jones' Company 2nd Regt Volunteers. Had known him several years. Affiant has known the family for many years; one of them (Frederick W.) married affiants daughter several years ago, and affiant has lived neighbor to several others of the family for many years. Affiant concurs in the description of the person of said John Yancey given by Horace G. Bledsoe whose affidavit has been read to affiant. He also concurs with said Bledsoe in his account of the family the names of the dead & of the survivors. And affiant believes those named to be all of the family.
Affiant is in no wise interested in this application.
Sworn to & subscribed before me Dec 14th 1849 His
Stephen Sypert (JP) Thomas X Beverage
mark
State of Tennessee
Madison County

On this the 4th day of September 1849 before me Stephen Sypert an acting Justice of the Peace for the county & state aforesaid appeared Capt. Timothy P. Jones a commissioned officer in the 2d Regiment of Tennessee Volunteers commanded by Col William T. Haskell, who being sworn according to law declares & says that John C. Yancey was a member of Capt Timothy P. Jones' company known as company (F) attached to the said 2d Regiment of Volunteers commanded by Col. Haskell, that he enlisted on the 4th day of June 1846 for twelve months, and that he died at Camargo in Mexico between the 15th & 20th days of November 1846 of disease contracted while in the line of his duty in the service.
Sworn to & subscribed the date first above written
Stephen Sypert (JP) Timothy P. Jones

State of Tennessee
Madison County

On this the 4th day of September 1849 before me Stephen Sypert an acting Justice of the Peace for said county & state, appeared John B. Cross & H. G. Connelly two credible witnesses with where I am personally acquainted, and who being sworn according to law do declare & say that John C. Yancey who was a member of Capt T. P. Jones Company of Volunteers in the Regiment commanded by Col Haskell, & who is same Yancey described in the foregoing affidavit of Capt. T. P. Jones, died without ever having had a wife or child, and that at the time of his death neither his father nor mother was living; and that he left at his death the following brothers & sisters & that the same except Romulus who has since died without having wife or child are now living, to wit - Napoleon B. Yancey, Layton Yancey, Frederick W. Yancey, Martha Teague wife of Abner Teague, Elizabeth Stanley widow of John Stanley, and Nancy Carter wife of Thompson Carter & Romulus Yancey. That the same were the only brothers & sisters of said John C. Yancey living at his death & that the same except Romulus Yancey are still living.
And they further make oath that they have no interest whatever in the application, or in the estate of said John C. Yancey.
Sworn to & subscribed the date first above written John B. Cross
Stephen Sypert (JP) H. G. Connelly

Find a board about a specific topic