History of Cooper County, Missouri By W. F. Johnson - page 1076
[LEIGHTON C. YANCEY]
L. C. Yancey, proprietor of "Locust Grove Farm," in North Moniteau township, was born on that farm, Dec. 26, 1851, son of Joel and Rosanna (Guyer) Yancey, both members of pioneer families here. . Joel Yancey was born in Howard County, in 1828, his father, a Kentuckian, having been one of the original land entrants in that county. When he was 21 years of age, he came to Cooper County and married Rosanna Guyer, who was born in Kentucky and came to Missouri with her parents, Williamson Guyer and wife, in the '40s. Williamson Guyer entered several hundred acres of land in Cooper County, including the place on which L. C. Yancey was born and now lives, and on that place he and his wife spent their last days and are buried. Sometime after his marriage, Joel Yancey settled on the farm now owned by J. W. Kinsey and engaged in farming until his retirement. He died in 1915, in his 88th year, and is buried at Lamar, Mo. Joel Yancey and wife were the parents of five children, all of whom are still living: L. C., the subject of this sketch; Mrs. Alpha Hurt, living in Barton County, widow of G. W. Hurt; Evan, of Lamar; Alonzo, of Clarksburg, and Rozzell, of Lamar.
L. C. Yancey received his early schooling in what then was known as the Yancey district (now the Greenwood district), the pioneer school house having been built on the Yancey farm and used both for school and church purposes. That was before the days of the public school and the school terms were arranged by private subscription in the neighborhood. For a time in those early days the Yancey school supported two teachers and among these Mr. Yancey recalls the names of Professor Buck and wife, Will Foreman, A. C. Fisher, Obediah Bailey and others. While in reminiscent mood, Mr. Yancey also recalls the names of persons who were engaged in business at Pisgah more than 60 years ago ; Richard Boughsfield, David Jones, Milton Mohan, and John A. Hickman. Joseph Bostwick and John St. John operated a chair factory many years ago, and Mr. and Mrs. Yancey have two chairs that were made at Pisgah 42 years ago. During those days, John L. Jones made wagons and plows at Pisgah, and Leander Reavis operated a carding machine, the motive power of which was a tread-mill operated by oxen. Mr. Yancey has followed farming at "Locust Grove Farm" all his life, and has been successful. In 1897, he rebuilt the old farm house along more modern lines, also built a new barn and other farm buildings.
Oct. 22, 1876, L. C. Yancey was married to Mary Jane Morris, who was born in this county, Oct. 6, 1858, daughter of Hugh B. and Juda A. (Davis) Morris, both now deceased, the former dying in 1907, and the latter in 1918. Mrs. Yancey is the fourth in order of birth of the 10 children born to her parents, and all of whom are still living. To Mr. and Mrs. Yancey one child was born, a daughter, Ada L., born on Sept. 29, 1883, married A. L. Rickman, and who died Sept. 8, 1913, and is buried in the Baptist Churchyard at Pisgah.