Search for content in message boards

Joel Wooten of Georgia (Montgomery/Telfair/Wheeler), slaves, African-American, looking for Hannah's descendants/Rubin & Amy

Replies: 0

Joel Wooten of Georgia (Montgomery/Telfair/Wheeler), slaves, African-American, looking for Hannah's descendants/Rubin & Amy

Posted: 1399964511000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1400647815000
Surnames: Wooten, Clements
Hi,

Hannah Wooten (1820-xxxx) of Montgomery County, Georgia, is my 4x great-grandmother. She would have been born into slavery and was likely owned by Joel Wooten. Joel's widow, Elizabeth, sold Hannah to their son, Henry, for $250, in 1826. By 1830, there are no slaves listed in Henry's home. However, he did own slaves later on. I believe that Hannah remained a part of the family.

Hannah had a son, Rubin Wooten (1842-xxxx), who married Amy. These are my 3x great-grandparents.

Rubin and Amy had a son, Charlie Anton Wooten, who married Estella Johnson. These are my 2x great-grandparents. Rubin and Amy had at least seven more children. The ones I've documented are Margaret, William, Clayton, Floyd and John. It is believed that the two I have not located are daughters because Charlie's grandchildren recall that their grandfather had four brothers and three sisters.

Charlie and Estella had a son, Charles Odum Wooten. This was my great-grandfather, whom I knew and have memories of.

The above families were based in and around Montgomery/Telfair/Wheeler counties, Georgia. Of course, descendants have branched out to numerous areas of the country.

The annual family reunion for descendants of Charlie and Estella alternates between Brunswick and Scotland, Georgia.

I am VERY interested in corresponding with anyone who can provide more information on Hannah, or perhaps any information regarding slaves owned by Joel Wooten and descendants, as I am looking to make connections.

It would be wonderful to learn perhaps where Hannah was born, the names of any other children (which would allow me to track their descendants, of course), whom she married (the 1880 census indicated she was a "widow"), etc.

I've researched numerous lines for the last 15+ years. Yet Hannah is the only great-great-great-great grandparent I have been able to confirm. Naturally, due to slavery, there is great difficulty with obtaining information prior to 1870. A considerable amount of information is permanently lost to time. But if there are any descendants of the white Wootens that could assist with enlightening me on slaves owned by the family, it would be greatly appreciated.

If ANYONE recognizes any of the names above and thinks our lines intersect, please reach out accordingly and maybe we can make a connection.

I'm writing all of this from memory but off the top of my head I know that our Wootens connect to the Clements (may be various spellings) from the above noted areas. In 1870 there is a 12-year-old female Frances Clements living with Hannah, Rubin and Amy and their children, in Montgomery County.

Also, just as an FYI, I have tested at 23andme and Ancestry (awaiting results on this one), also have a kit at GEDMATCH.

Peace and blessings to all.

Sincerely,

Sara

kiaray22 at yahoo dot com

Find a board about a specific topic