Search for content in message boards

WARWICK....Andersonville, Anderson, TENNESSEE

Replies: 10

Re: WARWICK....Andersonville, Anderson, TENNESSEE

Posted: 1189823021000
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Warwick
Warwick, William "Willie" C. (b. 1779, d. ?)
William "Willie" C. Warwick was also known as "Wiley".

Full name is William Calloway WARWICK

Origins of the WARWICK Family

The information and succeeding material on the decendents of William C.
Warwick was in large part supplied by Mr. Harry Dennis Hatcher of Chicago,
Illinois, to whom I gratefully acknowledge his hard work for the supplements
of the Warwick family history which is included here. He has been researching
the WARWICK surname for years.

Family tradition states that the Warwick brothers, William and John, came to
America from England. The date and place of their arrival are uncertain -
but by the late 1730's they had settled in the lower Shenandoah Valley in the
newly formed Augusta County, Virginia. An early historian, William T. Price,
stated that the first Warwick in the area was a Lieutenant and surveyor for
the Crown, sent to the area from James City. But the Augusta records make no
mention of such an officer or surveyor. After a great deal of research it
seems more plausible that the WARWICKs were tradesmen from a merchant family
in Brunswick. They are early on referred to as leathersmiths and cobblers
and probably came to America to raise cattle for their hides and trade for
forest furs.

The Immigrant WARWICK Brothers

The eldest brother, William, married Elizabeth DUNLAP of Middlebrook sometime
around 1737 in Orange County, Virginia. The following year John Lewis'
frontier settlement was removed from the jurisdiction of Orange and the new
eminence Augusta County was formed. Elizabeth was the daughter of Alexander
DUNLAP and his wife Janet Ann McFARLAND (sometimes referred to as "Jenot" or
"Jeani"). Alexander is said to have been the son of a soldier who was at the
siege of Londondarry. Mrs. DUNLAP was a ! descende nt of Calan McFARLAND.

Alexander & Ann McFARLAND DUNLAP had originally settled near Philadelphia
before moving to Middlebrook, a settlement at the head waters of the Middle
River in Virginia.

In the early 1740's the DUNLAPs moved west over the Great North Mountain and
settled on the Calfpasture River. It is said that they were the first to
live on the "Pastures" (the area around the Calf, Cow & Bullpasture Rivers)
and at that time the farthest most western settlers on the Virginia frontier.

In 1743 Alexander DUNLAP was appointed Captain of horse in the militia, but
the following year, 1744, he died. His widow later married Robert BRATTON.

Captain Alexander and Ann DUNLAP are known to have had at least four
children: John, Robert, Alexander Jr. and Elizabeth, wife of William

It is uncertain whether William and Elizabeth WARWICK joined Capt. DUNLAP
when he ventured into the pastures or raised their family in Middlebrook,
However all their children were born in Augusta County - Janet or Jean,
James, Martha, William Jr., John and Jacob, the latter being the youngest
born in 1747.

In 1750 William WARWICK patented land on Jackson's River which lies just east
of the crest of the Allegheny Mountains - border between present day "old"
and West Virginia in what is now Bath County.

William's brother John WARWICK came with him to the area. It is known that
the younger WARWICK worked on the farm of William Wilson from 1757 to 1758
and may have been married into the family.

William WARWICK saw service during the French and Indian War under Capt.
George Wilson - and appears on this Company's Muster Roll of 11 August 1756
as a private. The ever present danger of Indian attack during these years
prompted the WARWICK's and other settlers along Jackson's River to retire
eastward over Jack Mountain and resettle on the Cowpasture River. William
Warwick patented 216 acres there in 1759. ! His brother John also moved to the
Cowpasture at this time and took a three year lease at 4 L (Lira) annually on
149 acres that belonged to James GAY. Mr. GAY had married William &
Elizabeth WARWICK's eldest daughter Jenot (Jean). Sometime soon after the
last move, William WARWICK left the Virginia Frontier bound for England. He
never returned.

In 1763-64, his brother John, his daughter Janet married to James GAY and
another daughter Martha who was married to Major John STEVENSON were killed
by the Shawnee. (Kerr’s Creek massacre).

The WARWICK Brothers of West Virginia

Joseph BELL was made guardian of the WARWICK children - "until William's
return". Nineteen year old John WARWICK joined the punitive Boquet Expedition
against the Shawnee in 1704 and was awarded 80 acres in 1780 for his

In 1779, after the family had been nearly twenty years with no word from
William - he was "given up for dead" and Elizabeth DUNLAP WARWICK married
long time friend Andrew SITLINGTON. Andrew died 15 April 1804 and Elizabeth
was still living on 3December 1805.

James WARWICK, the eldest son - his exact birth date is unknown but, was
probably circa 1740 - married Elizabeth CROUCH.

The CROUCH brothers - John, Andrew and James had moved to America from Wales
in the late 1740's. They are first found in Virginia in 1750 and settled on
the North Branch of the Potomac River in far North Western Augusta County.
The French and Indian War forced them to retire westward to the Pastures,
where James and Elizabeth met and married. After the Treaty of 1764 the
CROUCH's again headed west. settling this time in Tygart's Valley. The
settlement had been founded in 1754 by David TYGART and Robert FOYLE on a
branch of the Monongalia River that now bears the former's name - Tygart
Valley River.

The war with France had temporarily destroyed the settlement, but as soon as
the hostilities ceased the settlers returned. By 1772 nearly all of the landin th e Valley was settled, but none of the occupants had clear title or
official patents to their claims.

When Andrew CROUCH and his brothers moved to the area in the late 1760's his
daughter Elizabeth and son-in-law James WARWICK came with them. Near the Old
Brick Church in the Huttonsville District, present day Randolph County, West
Virginia, James WARWICK cleared the land, built a cabin and planted his crops
- by virtue of this he claimed the surrounding creek bottom. It seems that
one John S. William WHITE also claimed the land.

The White brother's proposed to settle the matter by a "resort to a fight,
fist and skull". James WARWICK, fearing the result, traded lands with his
father-in-law, Andrew CROUCH, who was to clear his new title by attempting
the challenge of the other claimants. Mr. CROUCH met and vanquished William
WHITE who accepted the result with satisfaction. WHITE and CROUCH became
close friends. John WHITE was killed in the battle of Point Pleasant.
William WHITE fell a victim to Indians in what is now Upshur County, West

In 1857, historian William T. Price interviewed one Major Andrew CROUCH,
nephew of his above namesake. This aged man related: "When he was six years
old (circa 1773) his father (John CROUCH) took him to the cornfield and while
he worked the little boy sat on the fence. One of his uncles came up in
great haste, bringing the news that Lewis KINNAN and three of his children
had just been killed by Indians. The CROUCHs hurried their families to the
home of James WARWICK, not far from where the old Brick Church stood. In
their hurry the CROUCH brothers and WARWICK seized their guns to go help the
families exposed to the Indians farther up the river, (but) they neglected to
barricade the fort, and so the little boy and the two little girls went out
to the branch. While the little boy was washing the blood from his face,
caused by his nose bleeding, the little girl! s became frightened and without
saying anything, ran back into the fort and left him alone. When his
bleeding stopped he went back and found the fort barricaded. The CROUCH
brothers had been met by some persons from the lower fort, took them along
and so their wives their wives and children were left to themselves at
WARWICK's to make out the best they could. When the boy came to the fort he
heard his aunt in a loud voice giving orders as if there was quite a number
of men in the fort. When in fact the force consisted of three white women,
one black man & his wife and some children.

An Indian climbed to the roof of the fort building after night and set it on

The black man put it out, then the stable was fired. The black man said they
should not burn the horse, he went out and carefully approached the place,
seeing an Indian by the light, shot at him and let the horse out and safely
returned to the fort. He dared the Indians to come on and as there seemed to
be but two or three that showed themselves it seems they were not disposed to
storm the loud but little garrison. When the barn burned down and it became
dark the black woman insisted on leaving the fort and giving the alarm
farther down. She was allowed to do so and the next day the men came up and
moved all farther down. Then the little boy and eight others went to bury
the dead - Lewis KINNAN and his three children. After the burial, the men
seeing no signs of Indians, believed they had withdrawn and so they
disbanded. But late in the evening an Indian killed Frank RIFFLE near where
the Brick Church stood and burned two houses not far away belonging to James

The black man in WARWICK's fortified cabin that night of the siege was a
slave of James WARWICK and according to the elderly Major CROUCH, James,
"rewarded his faithful negro with his freedom for saving the fort".

The old Major CROUCH also related that his uncle James WARWICK ! was a sm all
man and this was the reason he felt he could not take on the WHITE brothers
in a fight. Others relate that James WARWICK was a school teacher and a very
pious man. His early education was under the tutorage of the Rev. John
CRAIG, the compassionate Presbyterian minister of the Western Virginia
frontier. It is also said that the WARWICK brothers (sons of William) were
converted to that faith by him.

If James WARWICK was a small and quite man, his youngest brother Jacob, born
in 1747, was the exact opposite. According to historian Price, he was tall,
muscular and quite aggressive.

In 1765, while still a teenager, Jacob WARWICK married Mary VANCE (1750-
1823), the daughter of Colonel John P. VANCE and his wife Martha ___?___.
During the early years of their marriage they lived at Dunmore in present day
Pocahontas County, West Virginia - all of their children were born there.
Jacob WARWICK was a cattleman and Indian fighter. He joined the punitive
expedition against the Ohio tribes known as Lord Dunmore's War in 1774, as a

On October 10th that same year at Point Pleasant he was among a group of men
who quite by accident were credited for turning the tide of battle that day.
Jacob and several other men had been detailed to kill deer for the army and
were returning from the hunt that day and were mistaken by the old Indian war
chief, Cornstalk, as re-enforcements, swaying his decision to surrender.

Jacob spent a lifetime fighting the Shawnee but he related "was never sure
but killing one Indian". Soon after that affair at point pleasant, Jacob
went among the Shawnee on a trading excursion to secure skins and furs. While
there he saw that many white captives had not been returned as required by
the treaty. At first he attempted to buy a young boy's freedom from his
adopted Indian parents but they refused to relinquish him. He dropped the
matter and waited until their guard was down, stol! e the ch ild, and returned
him to Augusta County.

There are many accounts of white captives being returned by Jacob in the
history of Western Virginia and some believe that he was driven and
discovered others while searching for some of his own missing children and

Warwick's During the American Revolution

With the outbreak of the Revolution, Indian hostilities encouraged by the
British broke out on the Virginia frontier.

On December 7th 1777, during an unexpected snowstorm, twenty three Indians
penetrated the Tygart's Settlements and attacked Darby Connelly's house.
Darby was at the time on the roof removing snow. They killed him, his wife
and several children, taking three prisoners. They then proceeded a short
distance down the river to the next cabin, that of John Stuart. They killed
John, his wife and child and took Miss HAMILTON, his wife's sister, prisoner.

John HADDEN discovered the bodies the following day and notified Capt. Ben
WILSON. A group of settlers pursued the raiders but lost the trail. It is
related that in time Jacob WARWICK returned Mary HAMILTON to the settlement.
Administration of John STUART's estate was granted on March 7, 1773 to
William HAMILTON. The estate of Darby CONNELLY was appraised by William

At the same point, probably around 1774 to 1775, James WARWICK relocated
further south to the Greenbrier River, leaving his land to his eldest son,
John WARWICK. John was probably bornsometime around 1759 or 1760. He
married a Miss Nancy HAMILTON (as of this writing, I have been unable to
determine who her parents were, though it seems to be either John of William

William HAMILTON Sr. and his wife Else (Alice) had immigrated from England
via Pennsylvania to Augusta County, Virginia prior to 1749. They first took
up residence in an old Indian camping hut on Back Creek, a branch of
Jackson's River. Sometime a! round 17 67 they moved to Tygart's Valley with
their sons: John, James, William Jr., Andrew and Alexander HAMILTON, all
mature men in the 1750's.

John WARWICK, (son of James, and later of Warwick's Cross Roads) married Miss
HAMILTON circa 1775 in Tygart's Valley. In the first year of the Revolution
the area, then part of West Augusta, was formed into Monongalia County. On a
list of contributors to the Continental Army housed in Monongalia County
Court House appears the name John WARWICK. It is related that John WARWICK
on several occasions drove large herds of cattle to both Virginia and
Pennsylvania to help feed Washington's Army.

His Uncle William WARWICK Jr. served three years as a sergeant in the
Virginia State Artillery for which he received a land bounty warrant # 839,
for 200 acres on Deer Creek.

Uncle Jacob WARWICK was commissioned Lieutenant of the Augusta Militia under
Capt. William KINCAID and held that rank and position throughout the war.

John WARWICK's great uncle Robert DUNLAP was killed at Gulford Court House.

During the early years of the war John and Nancy WARWICK had the following
children: Delilah born circa 1777 and William, called Willie born circa

John does not appear on any known Militia list; nevertheless, he is known to
have participated in several Indian fights during the war years.

In March 1780 a neighbor, Thomas LACKEY observed moccasin tracks in the path
near Fort Hadden and while examining them he heard someone in an undertone
say "Let him alone. He will go and bring more." LACKEY went to the fort and
reported what he had seen and heard but it was not believed. There were at
the time several men from Greenbrier staying all night in the fort, intending
to start home the next morning. Among them was Lt. Jacob WARWICK who had
been visiting his nephew John. When they set out a few of the men belonging
to the area, including John, accompanied them a short d! istance.

Although warned of the danger, they approached the spot carelessly and were
fired upon by the Indians. Lt. WARWICK's horse was hit and sank to the
ground as if dead, but as Jacob was in the act of throwing off his cloak to
fight, the horse rose and WARWICK darted off at top speed. WARWICK promised
his horse that if he would carry him to safely away that he need never work
again. Though wounded in the thigh, the horse did as Jacob wished. The ball
was extracted and Lt. WARWICK kept his promise.

The footmen from the fort were surrounded and their only chance for escape
was to cross the shallow river and climb a hill on the opposite side. John
McLAIN was killed 30 yards from the crest, James RALSTON still nearer the
top, James CROUCH (John WARWICK's uncle) was wounded as he reached the crest
but made his way to the fort the next day. John NELSON, after crossing the
river, attempted to escape down the bank, but was met by an Indian and was
killed after a desperate hand to hand battle, as was evidenced by his
shattered gunstock, the uptorn earth and the locks of Indian hair in his
still clutched hand. John WARWICK, though shaken, reached the fort

During this time, John's father & mother, James & Elizabeth CROUCH WARWICK,
were residing in the newly formed (1778) Greenbrier County. In 1780 the
court there ordered James to be appointed constable in Capt. Hugh MILLER's
company. In 1781 James was summoned to the next court to show cause why he
"does not qualify as a constable." Perhaps he was too short and shy to
shoulder such a responsibility. On 24 April 1783, James was called as a
witness along with several women, Mary Ann MASON, Ann WILLIAMS, Ann CRAIG,
Mary PRICE, Sarah CARLISE and his wife in the case against Amy BRATTON on
suspicion of murdering her illegitimate child. The court found enough
evidence of guilt and Amy was jailed, awaiting trial in Richmond.

The Migration from West V! irginia< BR>
Just prior to the American Revolution the DUNLAP's, GAY's and WARWICK's had
made several exploratory trading trips through Kentucky to what is now Ohio.
In 1780 James GAY Jr., was in the process of settling on the Elk River near
present day Lexington, Kentucky when word of the Indian raid on Hadden's
Fort prompted him to return and enlist in the Militia there. In 1782 James
DUNLAP, at age 15, the first cousin of James WARWICK, patented 1, 200 acres
of land on the Elk River in what is now Woodford County, Kentucky, for his
father, Alexander DUNLAP Jr. During Lord Dunmore's War in 1794, little James
at age six was mounted on a black stallion, whose back had been tarred so as
to enable him to stick to his stead, and sent with a message through Indian
lines from Clover Lick to Warwick's Fort on Deer Creek to bring assistance.

In 1784 a large wagon train of kinsmen was formed intent on settling these
lands on the Elk River. James GAY Jr., Col. Alexander DUNLAP Jr, John WARWICK
(son of William Sr) and his brother Lt. Jacob WARWICK all headed westward
with their families. While crossing the mountains, the advance scouts
were killed by Indians and left in the path scalped and naked. The sight was
too much for Jacob's wife Mary and she refused to proceed further.

Alexander deeded over his DUNLAP lands at Clover Lick to Jacob and they
returned to Virginia. Brother John WARWICK continued on to the Elk River
where his sons and daughters grew to adulthood and married. His eldest son
Jacob (II) married Jane MONTGOMERY and later moved to Indiana where he was
killed at the Battle of Tippacanoe while serving under William Henry HARRISON
as a Captain. Capt. WARWICK's bravery in this action of 1811 won him the
esteem and admiration of his General and later President HARRISON. WARRICK
(the spelling of the family name at the time) County, Indiana is named for
him. Lt. Jacob WARWICK returned to Virginia, lived at Clover Lick! for som e
time, then settled on his Jackson's River lands. When Bath County, Virginia
was formed in 1791, he was among the first Justices of the Peace. Old Lt.
Jacob WARWICK died January 11th 1826 and is buried on the west bank of
Jackson's River near Fort Dinwiddie.

James CROUCH, who had been wounded at the raid at Hadden's Fort had - had
enough of Shawnees and moved southward and settled in Washington County,
North Carolina (now Tennessee). It is uncertain whether he long survived his
wounds but his sons appear on Washington County Tax Lists as early as 1787.
John WARWICK (son of James) for the time being remained in Tygart's Valley.
Daughter Nancy WARWICK was born there in 1783. In the summer of 1784 he
purchased the lands of William HADDEN, who had moved to Fayette County,
Virginia (now Kentucky), 186 acres in Monongalia County.

That same year Harrison County was formed. Sometime before 1785 John
WARWICK's grandfather Andrew CROUCH died leaving his grandmother Judy to be
cared for.

In 1787 Randolph County was formed from Harrison. That same year John
WARWICK reported several of his horses had been stolen by Indians. A Tax
List of that year shows John with: seven slaves, 15 horses and 69 head of
cattle. Also in 1787, son Willis WARWICK was born, the following year
daughter Mercy WARWICK was born.

Due to the lack of good records, what happened during the next decade, 1790
to 1800, has been a very difficult segment of the WARWICK history to uncover,
nevertheless there are enough bits and places to assemble a somewhat vague
understanding of the events that transpired and how some of the WARWICK's
came to be in East Tennessee.

In 1786 the first wife, Mary, of "uncle" John WARWICK passed away at their
new home near the Elk River in what is now Clark County, Kentucky. It seems
arrangements were made to take a second wife, the "old maid" daughter of John
CROUCH, Sr., who has just recently died of ! a snake bite. The elder John
CROUCH, now deceased, was, of course, one of the original Welsh immigrants
and brother of James WARWICK's father-in-law.

Eleanor CROUCH was escorted to Kentucky, to her new home and husband by two
of her first cousins children: Jacob and Wyatt, sons of James & Elizabeth
CROUCH WARWICK. After their mission had been accomplished, Jacob and Wyatt
chose not to return to Virginia but remained in the Lexington area with their
uncle and other kinsmen.

A daughter of James and Elizabeth WARWICK, whose first name is unknown as of
this writing, is believed to have married James BOGGS. Mr. BOGGS became a
renowned Indian tracker and an early explorer of Southern Ohio.

Sometime around the mid 1790's, James WARWICK and his wife's brother Joseph
CROUCH, probably encouraged by good reports from Wyatt, Jacob and Mrs. BOGGS,
decided to relocate in the North West Territory. They probably stopped and
stayed for a while in Kentucky but of this I am uncertain. Regardless, by
the turn of the century they had settled in Ross County, Ohio in Concord

James Warwick made his home at Old Town, once sacred capital of the Shawnee
Nation, and it was here that he died sometime between 1810 and 1820. He had
been accompanied to the area by his youngest son William born circa 1760-
1770. Son, William had cleared a farm in Paint Township and had at least
four sons: William Jr., James, John and Alexander WARWICK. According to Old
Major CROUCH in 1857 one of these grandsons of James became a congressman
from Ohio, but he did not indicate which one.

James WARWICK's sons, Jacob and Wyatt, did not accompany him and their
youngest brother, William, to Ohio but remained in Kentucky. Details of
their lives there have thus far been impossible to ascertain. Wyatt WARWICK
appears as a witness on a document dated 28 Dec 1795, concerning the transfer
of lands on Elk River in Fayette County. Jacob WARWICK! , son of James, is
found on a Montgomery County, Kentucky Tax List dated 1797. Curiously, among
the men on this same list are: John HAMILTON, James LANE and James HINDS.
The next time their names are found in the records are 1807, living on Hinds
Creek in then Knox County, Tennessee.

There is probably a connection here, but I am uncertain as to what it is.
Perhaps in your investigation of the Hinds Family, you may have more of an
idea than I. The John HAMILTON which appears on the list is the son of James
HAMILTON, uncle to John WARWICK of Randolph county's wife. He had moved to
Kentucky prior to 1774 when the area was still known as Fincastle County,

This same John HAMILTON is also an early settler of Ross County, Ohio. As of
this writing, I have very limited knowledge of the Hamilton's that settled
Hamilton's Cross Roads now Union County, Tennessee. The earliest mention I
have found concerning them is in a Knoxville newspaper dated August 12th
1794, when 15 Indians attacked the Bull Run Blockhouse, stealing Hind's,
Barton's and Hamilton's horses. Whether William, Peter and Alexander HAMILTON
of Hind's Ridge are in-laws of John WARWICK of Warwick's Cross Roads of this
I am not certain. Regardless of whether there is or is not any HAMILTON or
HINDS connection that may have influenced the WARWICK brothers move to
Tennessee, the prime motivation was the following:

As stated earlier the children of John WARWICK's uncle, James CROUCH, moved
into upper East Tennessee as early as 1787. In a contemporaneous account of
the area, an early historian makes mention of WARNICK traders and also add
that they must have been part Indian. I can find no other records of
WARWICK's in East Tennessee at this time other than this brief passage. (It
should probably be noted that there is one Martin WYRICK who settled briefly
in Sullivan County before relocating in Lee County, Virginia, and it is
perhaps his son Willi! am WYRIC K that settles in Grainger County, but there is
no known connection between the two families).

It is my belief that John WARWICK of Randolph, like his uncle Jacob (or even
with him) made trade excursions among the Tennessee settlement and the
Cherokee for furs and other forest products. Particularly prior to the
Revolution, Western Virginia settlers made many friends among the Cherokee,
the of course, shared a common enemy, the Shawnee.

I can find no evidence that any WARWICK ever had an Indian bride.
Nevertheless, it is possible that John WARWICK may have been married more
than once and that one of those wives could possibly have been a Cherokee,
perhaps from the villages Northwest of Wall's Station ? Yet it is probably
more plausible that the old historian made his deduction based on appearance

It would not have been unusual for white men on extended excursions into the
wilderness to adapt the attire of the local inhabitants, some perhaps going
so far as to let their pony tails down and the wearing of feathers. A third
possibility is that John Warwick had been held captive as a young by the
Shawnee, perhaps rescued by the Cherokee, and on visits dressed like them and
spoke their language so well that he could be mistaken for part Indian.
There are, of course, only possible explanations for the above "Indian"
statement, and the real reason behind it may never be known. What is
important is that John WARWICK and probably his sons were in and out of
Tennessee in the late 1780's and early 1790's and remained in contact with
the CROUCH's there - first cousins and childhood friends of John WARWICK -
Joseph & John CROUCH and their sons - James, John Jr, Jesse and Elijah

In 1786 John CROUCH, Sr. married the widow of John Fuller LANE. The LANE
family had been in America since the mid 17th century and originally hailed
from Maryland. John Fuller LANE was born around 1727 near Baltimore and was!
the son of Richard LANE and Sarah Fuller.

In 1746 John F. LANE married Elizabeth CLOUD, daughter of Isaac CLOUD and
moved to Pittsylvania County, Virginia where they lived during the early
years of the Revolution.

Around 1779 John Fuller LANE, accompanied by his brother, Tidence LANE, moved
to Washington County, North Carolina (now Tennessee) and settled on Boone and
Cedar Creeks.

In 1785 John Fuller LANE was killed by a female slave who put poison from a
"scorpion" .... his drinking water.

John and Elizabeth CLOUD LANE's children were: Dorcas, Sarah, Jemima, Isaac,
Tindence, Rhoda & John Dutton LANE.

Widow Elizabeth CLOUD LANE, though considerably older, married widower John
CROUCH, Sr. This union brought the LANE and WARWICK families into close
contact. Soon after the marriage the family moved to the Clinch River area
into what is now Claiborne County.

On October 16th, 1800 in Grainger County, Tennessee, William "Willie"
WARWICK, eldest son of John WARWICK of Randolph County, married Margaret
"Peggy" LANE, eldest daughter of Isaac LANE and his wife Sarah RUSSELL. This
union is the earliest record of the WARWICK family in what is now Union
County (Tennessee).

The LANE's, who had been in Upper East Tennessee through the "King's
Mountain" years had become good friends with John Sevier and his cohorts and
it appears that they in some manner aided him and Stockley DONLESON in the
notorious Indian "land grab" of the 1790's and 1800's.

The LANE's wound up with title to so much land that where was a LANE Land
Company. A quote from the Grainger County Deed Book of 1813 will best
explain the scope of the situation. William TYRELL traded Donelson's Cove "in
the middle district of Tennessee on Roaring Spring Creek a large branch of
Obby's River, North Side of Cumberland Mountain - Overton County, Tennessee"
to John Dutton LANE in exchange for "40, 000 acres of land in the Eastern
dist! rict Nor th side of the Tennessee River at the mouth of the little
Chicamaga Creek."

The court decided the scope of this land transaction far extended the bound
of the Grainger County Court and perhaps they felt, the jurisdiction of
Tennessee itself. Isaac LANE began land transactions along the Clinch River
in the early 1790's, on both sides of the river, "along the main road to

John & his son Willie "WORRICK" first appear in Anderson County in 1802, both
on a tax list and the former included in road orders from the court. On the
Tax List there is no property indicated. In the Grainger County Court on Feb
1804, James LANE (brother of Margaret LANE WARWICK) attests that a deed
exists between the LANEs and John WARWICK.

It is my contention that the bulk of the WARWICK land in what is now Little
Valley, Union County and in particular Warwick's Cross Roads was a wedding
gift to the Warwick's from the LANE family.

On Feb 6th 1805, John WARWICK purchased an additional 100 acres on Hind's
Creek in Anderson County from Stephen LEWIS. In 1816 John WARWICK purchased
two more tracts (108 and 200 acres) in Grainger County from John Sally
(SALLE) extending the WARWICK holding from Hind's Creek to beyond Crooked
Creek. John WARWICK made his home on Hind's Creek near Well's Station - the
area would soon be known as Warwick's Cross Roads.

Like his father, James, John WARWICK was a pious man, and became an ardent
Baptist. It is uncertain exactly when this conversion occurred. Tindence
LANE, John's daughter-in-law Peggy's uncle was perhaps one of the most
prominent Baptist Ministers in early East Tennessee and is said to have been
converted and ordained by the Rev. Shubal Stearns himself. John CROUCH, Sr.
and his second wife Elizabeth CLOUD LANE CROUCH were early members of the Big
Springs Baptist Church in Claiborne County.

Yet it is more likely that the main influence on John WARWICK was the Rev.
Rich! ard NEWP ORT, who had been sent to East Tennessee from North Carolina in
the late 1790's to win converts and organize churches.

According to the War of 1812 pension records, John WARWICK's daughter Nancy
was married to George TURNER, Sr, by the Rev. Richard NEWPORT in 1803. The
earliest mention of Warwick's Meeting House in Anderson County Records was in
1804. It became known as the Hinds Creek Baptist Church.

The Rev. NEWPORT, whose second wife was Hannah HINDS was also instrumental in
establishing other Baptist Churches in the area: The Davis Creek church in
Claiborne County in 1797; the Big Springs Baptist Church, also in Claiborne,
as early as 1802, and the Hind's Creek Church at least by 1804, if not
earlier. John WARWICK was joined in East Tennessee by his brothers Jacob
and Wyatt WARWICK, although I am uncertain as to the exact date.

Jacob WARWICK left his will in Knox County (both written and proved) in 1808,
leaving his estate to his wife Elizabeth and to his grandson Hartwell
BRUMMITT, son of Elizabeth BRUMMITT. He also left items to his nieces: Sarah
and Pheobe WARWICK, daughters of his brother Wyatt WARWICK. Wyatt WARWICK
lived on 60 acres on Hind's Creek, Knox County. His wife's name was Mary
"Polly" ____?_____. She was ten years or so his junior and may have been his
second wife. Their children (the early ones may not be Polly's) were:

1. Western WARWICK, married Fanny WALKER in Knox County in 1812 - then

2. Pheobe WARWICK, married Lewis EMBREE in 1826.

3. Sarah "Sally" WARWICK, married Samuel AILOR in 1827.

4. Haden WARWICK, married Catherine SHARP in 1833.

5. Nancy WARWICK, married James SHARP in 1834.

6. Orange WARWICK, married Dorcas Jane Johnson in 1837.

7. There could be more children as yet undetermined.

Wyatt WARWICK died on Hinds Creek sometime around 1845. John WARWICK of
Warwick's Cross Roads is last mentioned in official Anderson Count! y Court< BR>Records in 1819. He is last mentioned in the minutes of the Hind's Creek
Baptist Church in 1821 and he probably died circa this time. There is no
mention of his wife in either records and he may have been a widower
before coming to East Tennessee. Though it is uncertain, it is believed that
Miss HAMILTON was the mother of all his children, and there certainly seems
to have been more children than are known to me at this time. A John WARWICK
who married Elizabeth MARKWELL in Kentucky in 1790 may have been a son that
did not move to Tennessee or perhaps a son of Jacob or Wyatt ? In the 1830
Grainger County census there is a widow Mary Warwick who had probably been
married to a son of John WARWICK whose name is now lost. The known children

A. Delilah WARWICK, born 1777, married John JAMES.

B. William WARWICK, who always used his nickname "Willie", often spelled
"Wiley", was born in 1779 and died sometime between 1853 and 1860. His first
wife was Margaret "Peggy" LANE, who died sometime between 1830-1840. His
second wife was Katherine ____?____. Willie WARWICK and his brother-in-law
John JAMES were instrumental in establishing the Zion HillBaptist Church
(originally called Equality) in 1848. Willie WARWICK is believed to be
buried there.

The children of Willie and Peggy WARWICK were:
1. J. (John) Elias WARWICK, born 1801, married Mary MONROE.

2. William WARWICK, born 1802, married Tempy ___?___, one time squire of
Anderson County. He died of a nose bleed in early 1850.

3. Nancy WARWICK, born 24 Nov 1811, died 2 Sep 1881, married James W. TURNER.

4. Patsy WARWICK, married Archilus SMITH.

5. Calloway WARWICK, born circa 1820.

6. Willis WARWICK, born circa 1824.

7. Volena WARWICK, born circa 1825, never married, died of consumption in
1850. There are probably more children. It does not seem that there were any
children by the second marriage.

C. Nancy E! lizabeth Warwick, born 1783, died circa 1868, married on 1 Apr 1803
to George TURNER, Sr.

D. Willis WARWICK, born 1787, died 14 Nov 1866, married Elizabeth TURNER,
both are buried at Old Zion Hill Church. Their children were:

1. Edwin WARWICK, born 12 Nov 1806, married Elizabeth

2. Lewis WARWICK, born 13 May 1808, married Elmira "Myra" LEWIS.

3. Berry WARWICK, born 16 Oct 1809, married Lurana ___?___.

4. John WARWICK, born 1 May 1812, never married.

5. Delilah WARWICK, born 24 Dec 1813, never married.

6. Preston WARWICK, born 20 Sep 1816, married Charity C. HANSARD.

7. Willis WARWICK, Jr., born 4 Dec 1818, married Elizabeth LEWIS.

8. Ewell Dee WARWICK, born 20 Dec 1820, married Lucy Jane HANSARD.

9. Emanuel WARWICK, born 3 April 1823, married Dicy NELSON or JACKSON.

10. Sarah WARWICK, born 3 Sept 1828, was never married.

E. Marcy WARWICK, John's youngest daughter who was born 1788 and seems to
have taken care of her father in later years, never married. After her
father's death she remained in the old cabin and in her old age was cared for
by her nephew Calloway WARWICK.

This concludes the history of the early WARWICK's.

The article above including the source page, was hand-written (printed) as
Cliff Manis received it in February 1991. Address for Mr. Harry Dennis
Hatcher, 712 W. Bittersweet Place #2, Chicago, IL 60613

Mr. Hatcher had sent the article to Mrs. DeBusk, and she mailed a copy of it
to me.

This article was sent to me by: Mrs. Betty DeBusk, 804 Hammock Road,
Brooksville, FL 34601

Since this article is of such importance, I, Cliff Manis, have retyped it,
and will make sure a copy of it gets stored with my WARWICK Family History
from the Union County, Tennessee area. Thanks so much to Mr. Hatcher.
Back to Main Page

W arwick, Temperance "Tempy" (b. ca 1806, d. ?)
Temperance "Tempy" was not married before her child John P. Warwick
was born. Her child out of wedlock was know as "Little John".
Temperance did later marry the father of her daughter-in-law
after the death of her mother-in-law Nancy had died in
the 1870's.
Mark Monroe and Tempy did not have children.

Warwick, Volena (b. 1825, d. 1850)
She died of "Cancer" in 1850. She is believed to have
been the daughter of "Wiley" Warwick, but not sure of this
as of 1992.

Anne these letters prove the connection between Lournei Bookout and the Warwick'sletter according to Cindy.
"E. W. BOOKOUT (Gordon Warwick went
to Jim Town shame )
(Married his second is coming
This years us all is in Tolible hap when this comes to hand it may find usse all well yess i want to see youa heaps wors now than when you came to see us. i should like to come to your countrey Well i see no chance for a year and Maw is not as stout as they was when you was here so i can not persuade them to move fore fear it might not agree with them so you must come and see us again as soon as you
can i wish you much joy with your Grand Son tell Leona to write to us and send me her picture please and her Boy tell Jane to write Lourany Warwick and family is well please curse me for this time i will try to do better this next.
E. E. Woods
M. M. Bookout".

Second Page:
" Well Jeen Ann has told you all the news and i dont no what to say i want to see you verry bad but you must not get home sick i think you must be doing as well their if not better than you could at home
syaw Mirt Chreup and play the Granger a while till you get tired and maby thin you can cam home Ann and i is scerying around putty shap we ware hats and carry pistols ea if we was to Marry you would
Lasse fenn. You must not be anesey about your their nags I will take good care of them
Well Fenny is here and i will send you a curl of her hair excuse lead writing F. F. Woods
Remaining Yours
E. E. Woods :
SOURCE: The early english used to compose it is recorded in the book "Early Ameican Handwriting" by Kip Sperry, pages 48, 49, and 51... 2007...dp.A

Hope this helps
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
chughey61 1189823021000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic