I looked through my stuff and don't have a Charles or Mary Carther/Cather. Sorry! My relatives left Quebec in a hurry in the mid 1800's to go to New Hampshire and eventually Manitoba.
The main line goes like this:
1. Fleury Asquet Vermet married Marie Leblanc. They were from the North of France, possibly Arras.
2. Antoine Vermet dit Laforme (1644 Ile d'Orleans to ?) married Barbe Menard (1653 LaRochelle, France - 1685 Quebec,dau of Rene and Judix Veillon)married 26 Oct 1669.
3. Antoine Vermet (b. 11 Oct 1678 Ile d'Orleans, PQ - d. 12 Dec. 1763) married in 1730 to Francoise Seguin.
4. Joseph Vermet (b. 19 Mar. 1738 in Terrbonne, PQ - ?) married Marie Lajeunesse in 1760.
5. Paul Vermet (b. 1 Sept 1762 at Ste-Rose, PQ - d. 11 Feb. 1811 in St. Benoit, PQ), married Genevieve Lesage.
6. Joseph Vermet (b. 1793 in St. Benoit, PQ - d. 30 May 1883) married in 1817 to Marie Claire Desnoyers.
7. Joseph Vermette (b. 13 Aug. 1821 in St. Benoit, PQ - ?) married Theotiste Paquette. They had 12 children: Theotiste, Joseph, Adele, Paul, Pulcherie, Rose de Lima, Elise, Dina, Napoleon, Ardoire, Wilfrid, and Marie-Louise.
Joseph Paul established homesteads in St. Jean Baptiste, Manitoba.
Joseph married Sophie/Sarah Verdon in 1872 and their eldest daughter, Maria Sarah Vermette was my g-grandmother.
Does this help you or anyone out there. Please let me know.