My family's 138-year-old "brick wall" is Joseph Tate (1746-1821) of Rockbridge County, Virginia, later Warren County, Ohio http://jliptrap.us/gen/tate.htm
He does not fit into any known position in the Augusta County Tates, but is obviously one of them. Same situation for his wife and the Augusta County Pattersons.
From the work of Ann Blomquist, the Augusta County Tates seem to go back to:
John(?) Tate (c1693) married a McClure? North Ireland; Chester/Lancaster, PA 1730-1744. Augusta, VA 1744-1769
His children (unproven list! - not ready for publication)
1. John Tate (c1718-1801) married Mary Mitchell (NOT Doak!).
11. James Tate (1742-1781) killed commanding Augusta Co Regiment at Guilford Court House, including his brothers and Mitchell and Doak cousins.
12. Thomas Tate (1744-1833) m. Jane Campbell, Washington/Smythe Co, VA
13. Eleanor Tate (1747) married Benjamin Stuart
14. John Tate (1749-1802) married Jane Berry (or Steele) VA State Legislator
15. Robert Tate (1723-1832) married Margaret McClung, stayed in Augusta County
16. William Tate (173-1830) married Nancy Mitchell, physician, Washington/Smythe Co, VA
2. Samuel Tate (c.1720) returned to "The Kingdom of Ireland" son William
3. Thomas Tate (c1722) wife Ann, sold his land in Augusta in 1780, apparently moved to Botetourt (Possibly my line???)
4. James Tate (1724-1818) married Nancy Campbell; Pendleton SC, then Franklin, GA
5. Robert Tate (1726?-1776) m(1) Margaret; m(2) Rebecca; in Rowan County in 1753
6. William Tate (1728-1792) married Elizabeth; Kershaw, SC, no children
7. Anne Tate (1730-aft.1808) married William McConnell
8. Elizabeth(?) Tate married Edward McClure; Pendleton, SC.
All I have on Samuel was that he went back to Ireland, no information on a return. Do you have anything on this family?