I'm seeking info. on Solomon Stoddard (and family), who lived in Fluvanna Co. around 1810. I'm thinking he could be my 5th grandfather (father of Avery Stoddard).
The 1810 census shows him (probably b. 1765-1778), a woman (presumably his wife) about the same age range, 2 males under 10, 1 male 10-15 and 4 females under 10. They are living in Fluvanna Co., but no town noted. However, other names on the census form near Solomon's are Thomas Farrar, Richard Sclater, John Cox.
These 2 items are probably about him:
- In 1811, a Solomon Stoddard owed $8 to John Hartwell Cocke (or vice versa), who built Bremo Plantation (source: Cocke papers collection, U.Va.).
- In 1815, a notice in a Richmond newspaper requested that co-defendants Solomon Stoddard and Chiles Brand (a building contractor) appear in court in a suit brought against them (topic not noted) by William Garner in Albemarle Co. The notice seemed to suggest that Stoddard was no longer living in the area or even in the state.
These 3 items *could be* related to him:
- In 1816, a Sarah/Sally Stoddard (daughter of a Solomon Stoddard) married John R. Garland in Bedford Co., Va. (She could have been one of the 4 girls under 10 in the 1810 census mentioned above.)
- In 1817, an Eliza Ann Stoddard (daughter of a Solomon Stoddard) married Samuel (or Laney) Gentry in Montgomery Co., Va. (Again, she could have been one of the 4 girls under 10 in the 1810 census mentioned above.) (A familysearch.org tree has a Solomon Stoddard b. ~1767 in Montgomery Co., Va., but there is no source.)
- In 1829, a Solomon Stoddard had mail being held for him at the Liberty p.o. in Lynchburg (source: a Lynchburg newspaper).
Any assistance in tracking down facts about any Stoddards in Fluvanna would be truly appreciated! (BTW, I've consulted Ancestry.com, familysearch.org, Chroniclingamerica and genealogybank and Google.)