Search for content in message boards

James and Bolin Savage-Missouri & Texas

Replies: 7

Re: James and Bolin Savage-Missouri & Texas

Joseph Luther (View posts)
Posted: 1137088020000
Classification: Query
The Baptist church was also early represented in the colony of Sterling C. Robertson. In December 1835, Z. N. Morrell, a Baptist minister of Tennessee, arrived in Texas. He had promised to meet David Crockett on Christmas day at the "Falls of the Brazos," and have a bear hunt. During the latter part of the month, he and five companions were marching up the Brazos River to that point. On December 30, they arrived at Little River where they found about forth Tennessee land hunters encamped near one lone log cabin. Captain Goldsby Childers and family were the occupants of this cabin. After supper that night, it was decided to have a sermon. Z. N. Morrell preached his first sermon in Robertson's Colony to this family and the land hunters.[320]

Morrell returned to Tennessee for a time, but before the close of the year 1836, he was back at the Falls. He had returned to Tennessee to bring his family to the colony. There were "five or six" families living at the Falls, and "thirty or forty" soldiers were encamped nearby. Morrell preached to these once each week when circumstances would permit. The confusion resulting from the Texas Revolution and the Indian disturbances made it difficult to maintain a congregation.[321]

The great distances between settlements caused Morrell to confine his preaching to the few families at the Falls. Mr. Morrell explains a part of his difficulties as follows:

"There were no Baptists at the Falls, except myself, wife, and daughter. Cut off thus from all communication with churches or ministers, the situation was by no means a pleasant one. It was thirty miles to the nearest settlement on Little River. A few families were at Parker's Fort, thirty-five miles distant, near the present locality of Springfield. It was unnecessary to make appointments at these places, with any prospect of filling them. Thus cut off, I did what I could for the spiritual welfare of those by whom I was immediately surrounded."[322]

http://www.rootsweb.com/~txrober2/StClairThesisChapterVII.ht...
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Peggy Nowell 1131310586000 
JosephLuther 1136389389000 
Peggy Nowell 1137086443000 
Joseph Luther 1137087107000 
Joseph Luther 1137088020000 
Joseph Luther 1137088330000 
JosephLuther 1137129341000 
donna tuton 1537886502000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic