Search for content in message boards

PHILLIPS

Replies: 2

William D. Phillips m. Mary Spratling

Karen Heggen (View posts)
Posted: 941198400000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Phillips, Spratling, Spradling, Robinette, Callaway, Avery, Gorton, Monday, Munday, Mundy
The William Phillips in my records shows the same 8 children.

Was your William Phillips b. 1768, resident of Wilkes Co GA, d. 1848, Troup Co GA? Do you know what the middle initial D. stand for? (I have seen it transcribed a "O" in some places.)

Are the parents of your Mary Spratling shown Winny or Winnefred Monday or Munday and James Spratling who d. 18 Jul 1812, supposedly in Indian Territory, his will was in Wilkes Co GA.

That Mary Spratling had a sister Winny or Winnefred who married a Phillips (whose first name is unknown to me.) Their other siblings were Jesse, James, John, Henry, Sarah, and Eliza (Elizabeth?) who married a Callaway.

More information on their parents:

Spratlin, James, of Wilkes Co GA listed in a Franklin Co GA will (of unkn person) 1790-91, pp 97

James Spratlin & Winifred Spratlin, Grantors in Deed Bk C 1786-1792 or H 1792-1793 Franklin Co GA.

Spratlin, James, of Wilkes Co GA listed in a Franklin Co GA will (of unkn person) 1790-91, pp 97

James Spratlin & Winifred Spratlin, Grantors in Deed Bk C 1786-1792 or H 1792-1793 Franklin Co GA.

Some "James" information developed by Andrea Horton Fitche:

From WILKES CO GEORGIA (not NORTH CAROLINA)... from the book "Ceded Lands" Records of St. Paul Parish and Early Wilkes, Co., GA, p 150, an extraction of James Spratlin's will...

Wilkes Co, GA, Will Bk HH, 1810, p 67...SPRATLING, James. Wife: Winny; sons: Jesse; James; John; Henry; dau Sarah Spratling, her property in care of son James; daus: Winny Phillips; Mary Phillips; Eliza Callaway. Exrs: son James; Wm. Johnson; Christopher Orr. Wit: John and Sylvanus Gibson;
Thomas McLaughlin. Signed April 6, 1812, probated Sep 7 1812.

In old issues of GA Gen Magazine (1971 v 39-42, p 149), is a land transaction as follows.

FRANKLIN CO GA, DEED BOOK C, p 70, 70b
16 July 1790 James SPRATLIN and wife, WINIFRED to John Helms, both of Franklin Co, for consideration of 100 pounds conveys 460 acres in Franklin Co, on waters of Marburies Creek, granted to said Spratlin by the government, 24 May 1787.

In a 1967 issue (v 19-22), show some Georgia Courthouse records.

FRANKLIN CO DEEDS, Bk LL p 100, Nov 13, 1797. Philemon Martin, Tax Collector of Franklin Co GA to Thos. Smyth. 1000 acres granted to Perry Osborn and sold for arrears in taxes
of James Spratten...recorded 13 Nov 1797.

Dec 14, 1838 Issue of Southern Christian Advocate, Charleston, SC. re death of a Spratlin girl in
Georgia: Died 30 Sep in Meriwether Co, GA, Mary M. dau of Judge Spratlin, age 13 yr, 7 mo.

Do you have birth, death, or marriage information for Winny Winnefred Mundy/Monday/Munday and this James Spratling?

If you have any Robinetes in your lines, there could well be Spadling connections there,too.

I am also interested in finding whether these Spratlings tie to those in what became Chambers Co. AL, including one William Philip Spratling b. 5 Oct 1836, d. 1912-1914 m. Mary Ann Avery 21 Oct 1856.

Their plantation, known as Oakbowery, was said by his grandson to once have been worked by 600 slaves. This William Philip Spratling was father of over 20 children including William Philip Spratling, M.D. b. 13 Oct 1863 (m. Annie Gorton in Brooklyn NY 1900/1901.) He counted Theodore Roosevelt and Mark Twain among his friends.

Their son William Philip Spratling b. 22 Sep 1900, d. 1967 in Mexico. This last Wm. taught architecture at Tulane University in New Orleans then moved to Taxco, Guerrero , Mexico in 1929 and became a famous silversmith. His many friends included author William Faulkner. He had a brother David b. 1902-02.

William Spratling the silversmith wrote a book called File on Spratling published in 1967 after his death (memory says Little Brown was the publisher. I found it in my local library). In that book he says that Blind Philip Avery, who had been a slave on Oakbowery plantation, said that William's grandfather was his (Philip's) natural father.

Looking at a photo and a painting of the author (by David Siquieros), the back and front book covers, it would be easy to believe that Indian blood was also to be found in the family, which might also be suggested by their early move in to ceded Indian lands.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Ronda Schutz 930484800000 
Wendy 932731200000 
Karen Heggen 941198400000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic