John O’Hail, son of Hugh and Elizabeth O’Hail, was born November 3, 1827. His great grandfather, John O’Hail, came from Ireland and settled near Dillsburg in 1754. The family were Covenanters, and the grandfather of our subject, Edward O’Hail, was an elder in the Presbyterian Church. Our subject was reared on the farm, and educated at the public and private schools. He became a teacher, and from 1846 until 1866, taught at various points in this and Cumberland Counties. In 1867 he clerked for the Trindle Spring Paper Mill; in 1868 he resumed his profession as teacher, and from 1874 to the present time he has conducted the O’Hail School. His professional certificates were received in December 1859, from Dr. A. R. Blair, county superintendent, and December 30, 1870, from S. G. Boyd, county superintendent; his permanent certificate, dated August 28, 1871, was received from J. P. Wickersham. Mr. O’Hail has served as inspector of elections, and is a stockholder in the Harrisburg & Potomac Railroad. From 1846 to 1871 he was a member of the United Presbyterian Church at Carlisle, and is now a member of the Presbyterian Church at Dillsburg, and has been a Sunday-school teacher and superintendent since 1848. In politics he is an ardent Republican.
Taken from the book, “History of York County, Illustrated 1886” by John Gibson, Historical Editor