Search for content in message boards

Eli and Sarah Asa Moore; Enoch and Jane Davis Moore

Replies: 0

Eli and Sarah Asa Moore; Enoch and Jane Davis Moore

Posted: 1555426716000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1555515986000
Surnames: Moore, Poling, Davis, Asa
I'd like to ask a couple questions about the Moores (I realize most people either run or their eyes "glaze over" when the surname "MOORE" is mentioned...there must be 50 Moore family lines in PA/WV/VA/MD, and it doesn't help that there are many intermarriages between them.

However, this marriage is on record at "Harrison, Charles, Virginia." First question: Is "Charles" one of the ancient "Districts" in Harrison County? Secondly, the record:

Name Eli More
Spouse Sarah Asa
Marriage Date 18 Jul 1798
Location Harrison County, Virginia
Household Members
Eli More
Sarah Asa

Eli Moore was born 26 Sep 1782, Sarah "Sally" Asa 10 Apr 1782. They both died at Barbour County, Eli 15 Jul 1859, Sarah in Dec 1870.

The marriage date seems to have been duly recorded and is trustworthy; Eli was 15, Sarah was 16 accouding to the record (there's no debate as to their births or the marriage date).

"Enoch Moore" (of New Jersey) is listed as "Guardian" for Eli, and on the Marriage license Enoch and his wife, Jane Davis Moore are given as Eli's Legal Guardians.

Family Tree builders have traditionally given Eli's parents as Daniel Moore (born about 1764, died about 1842) and Deborah Poling (born abt 1771, died Aug 1842).

This doesn't make sense, as both Daniel and Deborah were alive when Eli and Sarah Asa Moore were married at Harrison County, yet Enoch and his wife Jane Davis Moore are given as Eli's Legal Guardians.

Can anyone tell me the best way to go about finding a copy of that marriage certificate? That's probably the first step in trying to find Eli's parents. Thanks so much!

I'm a 4th great grandson of Eli and Sarah "Sally" Asa Moore
Attachments:

Find a board about a specific topic