Search for content in message boards

George Moore of Prince Edward Co., Va., died 1798, wife Mary Evans

Replies: 0

George Moore of Prince Edward Co., Va., died 1798, wife Mary Evans

Posted: 1168212061000
Classification: Query
This George is very connected to the Charlotte County and probably the Halifax Co. group. He is a wealthy man and I believe he is he George who owns the mill and ordinary. He leaves us a great list of his children and grandchildren. He only had 1 son, but that son had several sons, so hopefully today there are male Moore descendants who could be DNA participants. Please contact me if you have any information on this line.

Bobbi Estes

George Moore of Prince Edward County, died 1798

There is a group of Moore families who seemed to originate in Virginia at a very early date. This particular group of Moores may be descended from a James Moore and wife Elizabeth Caldwell Moore who arrived Dec. 10, 1727 aboard the ship Eagles Wing with a group of Scotch-Irish immigrants and settled for some time in Chestnut Level, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
This group was headed by Capt. John Caldwell, and Elizabeth was his sister.
Two other sisters with their husbands were with that same group, Jane and Alexander Ritchey (Ritchie) and Catherine and John Dudgeon.

Land was expensive in Pennsylvania and in short supply. In 1738, Governor Gooch of Virginia passed the Tolerance Act which effectively open the Virginia frontiers for religions other than the Anglican Church. This Presbyterian group petitioned the Virginia Governor and upon his positive reply, immediately moved with a group of about 200 people to first Albemarle County and then by 1738, the Cub Creek area in what would become Charlotte County. The pioneers were granted 30,000 acres, free muskets (to protect themselves from Indian attacks) and exemption from taxes for 10 years. John Caldwell died in 1750 on Cub Creek. His mother, who did not immigrate, was Jane McGhie (McGeehee).

The Cub Creek settlement borders the northern border of Halifax County near Cole's Ferry Road and the peninsula of Halifax County known as the Cove that protrudes northward into Charlotte County bordered by the Roanoke (Staunton) River.

George Moore was initially assumed to be a son of John, but these two men appear to be instead contemporaries. Their land abutted, so they are likely brothers.

George was born in 1720 or earlier, and died in 1798. His widow, Molly, was listed as deceased in 1815, but the land on the tax list was listed as 15 miles Southeast of the Prince Edward Co. courthouse which was located at Worsham until 1871 which puts this land on the Prince Edward/Lunenburg County line.

British Mercantile claims indicate that George's wife's name was Mary Evans and that he moved to Prince Edward in 1783 from Lunenburg County.

George's will was quite explicit and provided us with a huge amount of information about his children and family.

Will written Oct. 11 1798. Wife, Mary, tract of land I purchased of my son Thomas Moore and George Walton (George Walton's daughter marries Thomas
Moore) containing 500 acres.Anderson's old house.along a line to Sarah Moore's corner (appears to be Joseph Moore's widow).to George Smith's.Henry Watkins corner, his mill..Moore's corner to George Smith's line.Evan's Creek.Randall's old line. Wife half tract land and half profits of mill in Lunenburg Co. purchase by me of Jacob Farguson, Thomas Ellis and John Ellis.
Also 5 negroes Anthony, Old Sam, Little Sam, Ruth and Judy, 1/3 of stock, riding chair and harness and 100 pounds in money. Grandson Jesse Hamlett 200 acres on the north side of road beginning on Anderson's line.Doctor Masters, also negroes Milly and Aggy and after his death they go to his daughter Nancy Hamlett. 100 pounds to Jesse Hamlett. Granddaughter Martha Hamlett 2 negroes Rachel and Little Bob and after her death to her natural child Eliza Hamlett, also 1 feather bed and furniture. Sell tract of land on which I now live and divide money between grandsons George Moore, Jesse Moore, Thomas Moore, John Moore and William Moore, the children of my son Thomas Moore. Thomas Moore 100 pounds. Daughter Nancy Ferguson my land in Ky. Daughter Frances Hamlett negro Jerry and after her death to Thomas Moore Hamlett and he to educate his sisters Peggy and Anny and brothers Robert and John. Daughter Nancy Farguson 100#. Son-in-law John Watkins other half of the tract of land and of the profits of my mill in Lunenburg.
Remainder of estate to be divided between all my children except Elizabeth Malone and Frances Hamlett and that Elizabeth's Malone's share be divided equally among her children James Daniel Cole and Polly Whitter Smith and that Frances Hamlett's share be equally divided among her children Thomas Moore Hamlett, Peggy, Anny, Robert and John Hamlett. Executor to sell 100 acres in land upon Crosders, Collears and Ellice's lines to Paul Redd for paying said Redd for building a stone dam to my above mentioned mill and that mill not be sold until dam is complete provided it can be done in a convenient space of time. Wife Molly, John Watkins, Jesse Hamlett executors. Witness Alexander Guill Jr, Pleasant Moore, Martha Evans.
Probated Dec. 17, 1798 and securities were Thomas Flournoy, Samuel ?, Charles Scott and RC Masters.

Note that the Fargusons and Watkins are both found closely associated with James Moore who appears in Prince Edward County in 1745 adjacent to the Rice family and who married Mary Rice, the daughter of Joseph Rice. They move to Halifax County about 1770.

George's children were:

* Thomas born before 1754, presumed deceased in 1798 although his
father's will does not specifically say so, married Nancy Walton daughter of George Walton in 1774 in Prince Edward County.

* Frances Moore married James Hamlett who was dead by 1791 and left
her with 13 children, so she was born about 1745, meaning her father George has to be born 1725 or earlier.

* Nancy married a Ferguson. George left them his land in Kentucky.

* Mary Moore married John Watkins in 1762 in Lunenburg Co so she was born about 1742. She inherited the other half of the tract of land and profits from the mill in Lunenburg until George's wife dies. John Watkins is executor of Joseph Rice's will in 1766, father-in-law to James Moore who married Mary Rice. John is also the executor of George Moore's will, his father-in-law, if this is in fact the same John Watkins.

* Elizabeth Malone is referenced as his daughter and her two children
James Daniel Cole and Polly Whitter Smith.

Find a board about a specific topic