Search for content in message boards

Wm. Moody/Moodie b.1754 who m. Jean Johnston of Carriden, Scotland

Replies: 0

Wm. Moody/Moodie b.1754 who m. Jean Johnston of Carriden, Scotland

Posted: 1543095527000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1543096030000
Surnames: MOODY, MOODIE, MUDIE, MODDI
I found a 5th cousin dna match to someone who had this couple in their family tree. While I don't know if the dna match is somewhere within this family tree, I still found it interesting that it popped up. My remaining brick wall has been for nearly 20 years, my 5th grt. grandfather James Moody b.c1745 (where???)
I have found with Primary Source records that this Wm. Moodie and Jean Johnston had the following children:
Elizabeth Moody/Moodie b. Apr. 9, 1788 Carriden, Midlothian, Scotland. This child must have died young as they named a 2nd child Elizabeth a few years later.
Helen Moody/Moodie b. April 13, 1789 same place
Elizabeth Moodie b.May 9, 1790
Agnes Moody b.May 3, 1791
William Moodie/Moody b. Aug. 11, 1792. This child must have died young, they later named another son William.
Jean Moodie b. Oct. 28, 1793 at Carriden
John Moodie b. June 28, 1795 Carriden
William Moodie b. April 25, 1798 at Carriden
Isaac Moodie b. May 12, 1800 at Carriden
Robert Moodie b. Sept. 6, 1801 at Carriden, Midlothian, Scotland (sort of near Edinburgh).

These were all the children I could find in the O.P.R.'s from Carriden Birth's and Baptism's.

Here are a few more tidbits from orig. records...
At Carriden- William Moody and Jean Johnston were married the 6th April 1787.

William Moodie husband of Helen Nimmo died Oct. 1, 1735 Carriden, Scotland, the record says - "Best big Mort cloth & bell rung". They had to pay the church for this if I am reading the record correctly.

William Moodie married to Helen Nimmo in Carriden on Nov. 18, 1708 (Scotl. Select Marriages 1561-1910)

O.P.R.'s from Carriden - William Moodie and Elizabeth Eason had a lawful son born Nov. 9, and baptized Nov. 17, 1754. Son named William. Witnesses - William Drummond and James Birch.

Marriage records - William Moodie and Elizabeth Eason both of this parish gave up their names for proclamation in order to marriage Nov. 20, 1736, a side bar note stated they were married on Dec. 10, 1736 in Carriden.

Death records of Carriden- O.P.R's. (Old Parish Records)
1751 William Drummond died Oct. 11,
" Walter Moodie d. Oct. 11 (given that William Drummond was a witness to William Moodie's sons William's birth, is it possible that this Walter Moodie was a brother to William, son of William and Elizabeth Eason MOODIE, and that they both died together on Oct. 11th, 1751??
William MOODIE - to his mother Helen NIMMO'S corps. Nov. 15, 1751.

William Moodie and wife Helen Nimmo had the following children:
William Moody b. Nov. 4, 1709 Carriden bapt. Nov. 13, 1709 (Wm. died at age 3 yrs. old on Dec. 20, 1712)
Jean Moodie b. July 6, 1711 bapt. July 12, 1711
William Moodie b. Oct. 27, 1715 bapt. Oct. 30, 1715 (he's the one who married Elizabeth Eason I do believe).
Agnes and Joanet Moodie b. Apr. 7, 1718 (Twins??) at Carriden, bapt. April 13, 1718.
and John Moodie b. May 15, 1720
That was all I could find for them.

Elizabeth Eason MOODIE died Aug. 16, 1768 at Muirhouses, Carriden, Midlothian, Scotland, a daughter of John EASSON and Janet Wilson. Elizabeth was born Nov. 1, 1711. (I don't have a Source cited for Elizabeth's parents, my apologies).

An old book online about Borrowstouness, Midlothian, Scotland -
mentions a William Moodie as a smith (blacksmith? its not specific) of Muirhouses.
Archibald NIMMO and Elspeth Sleigh his wife.
A Walter MOODIE and Alexander MOODIE both of Carriden were coal grieves and to the best of what I could see in the text, they were in that area around March 1696.
There was also mention of a James Wilson of Carriden.

For my Ydna cousins there was a John MILLER who was married to an Elspeth DICK, of this same area. Other surnames I noticed were Casilis, Bryce, Paton and several others who have been found to intermarry with our Nor. Ireland families....Alexander MOODY/Moodie/Mudie? and his wife Priscilla DICK of Magilligan, Co. L'derry, for instance.
There was a Marion MOODIE daug. of Matthew MOODIE who married a Henry ERSKIN
Aug. 27, 1756 at Inveresk, Midlothian, Scotland.

There was also a Marriage entry from Carriden for a William MOODIE that married a Cristian (spelled that way) KNOX on Dec. 26, 1706.
(Source as it was for most all of this info -
Scotland Select Births, Baptism's, Marriages and Death's from the O.P.R.'s of Carriden).
I should say that while this line may have absolutely no connection to my Moody's whatsoever, the fact that these lines go back so far, might hold some possibilities. This match at 5th cousins was from an autosomal dna test I took a few months back). My particular family ydna is frought with mutations. No one seems to know why, but that's my situation, so when I see a 5th cousin link, I don't discount it. The link is most likely on the female side, but perhaps an admixture of husband and wife from way back in these lines, something is showing up in my dna. Also, my test results showed that one of my most common surname links was Johnson/Johnston, also Smith if that's any help. I doubt it, that's about the most common surname on the globe, anyway.....
I hope this helps someone and that I didn't make any typo's.

Find a board about a specific topic