Search for content in message boards

JOHN MILAM (ca 1720 - 1789), LOUISA COUNTY, VA: Deeds ??

Replies: 0

JOHN MILAM (ca 1720 - 1789), LOUISA COUNTY, VA: Deeds ??

Posted: 1532625277000
Classification: Biography
Edited: 1532803599000
Surnames: Milam, Mileham, Millam, Milum

This post is in response to Robert Wilbanks IV assertion: "John Milam is found as early as 1757 in Louisa County, Virginia." in the previous post. The alleged evidence for a John Milani in Louisa County is based upon an internet transcription ( by an unknown person ) of the April 1757 Will of John Dixon, made in Bristol, England, stating that he bought land from John Milani in Louisa:
http://www.colonial-settlers-md-va.us/getperson.php?personID...

“To my son Cornelius Dixon all my land in Louisa County which I bought of Major John Lee and all the land which I bought of Henry Graves, John Saunders, John Milani, and John Howlett, which are near Taylers Creek, Newfound River, and Little River, and all my land I bought of Richard Holland and Robert Estes on Beaver Creek near Louisa Court House."

This is simply not true; there is no evidence in Louisa records that a Milam or Milani owned land in Louisa! It is an error in transcription.

I have looked at the abstracts of Louisa County deeds, court orders and wills and found no “Milam” or “Milani” or similar. Next I specifically reviewed the abstracts of John Dixon's purchase deeds. None of the grantors (sellers) to Nixon were a Milam, Milani or similar – nor was a Milam a witness to any deed.

Next I went to the actual Louisa deeds’ index for grantees (buyers) which also lists the grantor (seller). All of John Dixon's purchases are on page 121 of the index and no “Milam” or “Milani” was a seller to John Dixon! Finally, I looked at the index for a Milam purchase of land in Louisa and found none under any spelling.

The internet transcription of John Nixon's British will is obviously incorrect!

CONCLUSION: The Deed Indexes and abstracts of deeds for Louisa County, Virginia, have no evidence to support the claim that a Milam or Milani owned land or specifically that John Milani sold land to a John Dixon between 1742 and 1825.

Thus, there is absolutely no justification to continue to write that "John Milam is found.....in Louisa County".
Attachments:

Find a board about a specific topic