Schedule on L'Estrange Branch of Family Tree
Place of Origin: County Offaly, Ireland
James L'Estrange b.1800 in Cloghan. Died 1876.
Married Bridget (Colgan?) b 1805. d 1874
Children: Thomas b.1829; d. 11/10/1912
Martin (?) b. 2/10/1838
James (?) b. 18/4/1840
Mary b. 18/9/1842 (?)
a.n.other (?) b. 17/10/1844.
Joseph b. 1845 d. 12/4/08
Patrick Donoghoe b.? Died ?
Married Who? When? Died?
Children: (1) Mary Josephine b. 1850 (2) others?
Thomas L'Estrange Mary Josephine Donoghue
of Ashgrove, Lusmagh of Coolross, Lorrha
(son of James and Bridget (daughter of Patrick
b. 1929. d. 1912 b. 1850. d.1923
Married 17/11/1868 at Rathcabbin R.C. Chapel in the
Parish of Lorrha.
Buried: Kilmacthomas Churchyard, Lusmagh
10 Daughters and 5 Sons
Name DOB DIED Spouse/Religious name
1. Joseph 28/10/1869 married Betsy Galvin 15/10/95 Went to USA
2. Maria 8/12/1870 Born 28.8.1951
Died 28/8/51 in Banagher, Co Offaly
(i) married Kieran Grogan (b. 1840) on 30/11/1893
(1) John (b.30/9/1894; d. 23/5/1966;
(2) MaryAnn (b. 3/6/1899)
became Sister Kieran of the Sister of
Mercy in St Louis. Died 6/6/1982.
(3) Mary ...........
(ii) married Bill Moran on 30/4/1903. He died on 17/11/1915 aged 48.
4 Children: (1) Patrick b.1904, d.10/1/1976
(2) Thomas b. 6/9/05
3. Delia b. 27/1/1872 Died 7/8/1941 in Buenes
Was Mme Angadreme
Sisters of La Sante
Union des Sacre Coeur,
4. Gretta Born 10/4/1873 Died 1941
(i) Married John Madden 17/2/1898
One Child: Thomas DOB 23/5/1899, died 1975
(ii) Married Joseph Wistart born 19/3/1866;
5. Anna 9/4/1874 married Joe Barry
6. (son) 4/4/1875 Died at birth
Children of Thomas and Mary J L'Estrange (continued)
7. Katie Born 14/3/1876 Died 29/5/1960 at Erith, Kent
(Catherine) Was Mme Thomasine
Sisters of La Sante
8. Helena 26/8/1877
married Peter Tooher 2 Children: 2 sons
who married twice again who died young.
after Helena died.
He sold the farm in Ashgrove, Lusmagh, in 1939.
9. Charlotte Born 2/4/1879
Died 29/3/1965 in Oklahoma City
Was Sr M Charles
10. James b. 2/4/1880 d. 2/3/1958.
"went to USA where he married an Irish girl and now lives iin Des Moines."
Children James, Caroline and Jackie
According to 1901 Census, James was at that time
unmarried and residing with Kieran Grogan and his wife, Maria (nee L'Estrange).
11. Sophia 15/5/82 married William Decker
3 Children: Catherine, Agnes Louise & Thomas
12. Susan Louise Born 25/4/1884
Died 5/5/1953 in St Louis
Was Sr M Evangelist,
13. Thomas 9/12/1886 Died 3/1/1890
14. Caroline Born 13/8/1888
Died 13/4/1917 in Des Moines
Was Sister M Baptista of the Mercy Order
15. Dan Born 30/9/89 Died 21/2/1977
married on 17/9/1919 Sarah Farrell from
(she died on 21/8/67) Castlecomer
Children: 4 sons + 5 daughters
- Mary Josephine b.22/6/1920 married 22/12/47
Francis de Deckker
4 sons, 1 daughter
- Caroline Josephine b. 29/7/1921 married 22/6/59
- Patrick Kieran 18/1/1923 Married 4/4/60
2 sons, 1 daughter
- Ellen Louise 23/8/1924 Married 19/7/1948
- Thomas Joseph 11/3/1927 Married 3/7/54
Died 24/5/1957 Barbara Hollins
- Helena Victoria 1/11/1928 Married 23/2/53
2 children (stillborn)
- Daniel Ambrose Born 30/8/1930
- James Gerald 30/1/1932 Married 4/10/59
Died 10/7/1983 Mary Abigail Porter
2 daughters, 1 son
- Trinette 25/6/1935
* Possible Scenario: James L'Estrange born in 1800, married Bridget Colgan, probably circa 1828. Child Thomas born (in Cloghan) c.1829, Martin born 1838, James born 1840, Mary born 1842 and Joseph born 1845.
Bridget died 1874 at Loghan, Lusmagh and husband James died also at Ashgrove in 1876: both buried in local RC churchyard.
On the death of his father (ie James), eldest son Thomas inherits the farm at Ashgrove. In 1868, Thomas married Mary Josephine Donohoe. Their first child was born in 1869. Thomas's tenth child, born in 1880, is named for his father, James.
Mary L'Estrange married a Mr Kearns of Ferbane who was on the County Council.
Note: Year of birth of children Martin, James and Mary L'Estrange extracted from Reynagh RC Parish Baptismal Records. Parents given as James L'Estrange and Brigid Colgan.
No record traced of baptism of children Thomas and Joseph.