Search for content in message boards

Layton/Letten?

Replies: 0

Layton/Letten?

Posted: 1495038649000
Classification: Query
Surnames: LAYTON, LETTEN
A couple of years ago I wrote that my Layton branch goes back to an Abraham, who married in 1627 in Lyng, near Norwich in Norfolk (UK), and died there in 1675. We have a pretty complete documented family tree of his descendants and BigY (FTDNA) tests reveal that our present terminal SNP is I-Y7426, a thus far 'unique' branch of I-CTS6433, way down the line from I-M223 (I2a2a) and haplogroup I-M170.

It has become increasingly clear that Abraham Layton may well have descended from a Flemish refugee (Jan Letten) who arrived in Norwich in 1567. Y-DNA analysis at 111 markers suggests that Abraham's genes probably arrived from the Continent around the mid 16th century which would fit well the Flemish hypothesis. I have found an Abraham Letten born 1606 in Norwich, but he moved to Delft and Leiden in the 1620s. It seems likely, however, that he had an older cousin of the same name born around 1595, and this is the most likely candidate for my Abraham Layton who appears in the Lyng parish registers.

The lines of inquiry are now (1) to find the baptism of this older Abraham Letten in Norwich (probably the grandson of the immigrant wool comber Jan Letten (and son of his son Jacob/James) and (2) to test the Y-DNA of living male LETTENs to see if there is any connection!

I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who might be able to contribute to this quest for early Layton/Letten origins.

Good hunting,
Ian Layton
(Sweden)

Find a board about a specific topic