Search for content in message boards

Children Of Eleanor or Ellie Krull

Replies: 11

Father Vattman

Gary Fresen (View posts)
Posted: 943951844000
We would like to know if you have any historical information about Father Edward J. Vattman, who was a US Army chaplain in the 1800's. Our Boy Scout Troop is collecting some history information about Wilmette, specifically about Wilmette Parks.

Vattman Park at 15th and Lake Street was named after Father Edward J. Vattman, a retired Major US Army Chaplain who lived from 1841 to Oct. 2, 1919.

On an US Army website, we found some information about his service in the Indian wars:

A Brief History of the United States Army Chaplain Corps

http://160.150.55.11/HISTORY/shorthistory.htm#Chap2

UNITED STATES ARMY CHAPLAIN CENTER AND SCHOOL FORT JACKSON, SOUTH CAROLINA

Compiled by William J. Hourihan, Ph.D. Chaplain Branch Historian

... Chaplain Edward J. Vattman, a Catholic priest ministered to the Indians both in religious and secular matters. He conducted special church and song services, taught catechism classes and baptized those who requested it. He blessed marriages and conducted funeral services. Among his secular duties, Vattman compiled a Sioux Soldier's Vocabulary, translated a geography and a United States history into the Sioux language, and started a school for wives of enlisted Indians. We have found the following information about Our Lady of Consolation in Carey, Ohio and it indicates that Father Vattman was the church's first priest.

Reference: Norton, Herman A. Struggling for Recognition: The United States Army Chaplaincy, 1791-1865, Washington, DC: Office of the Chief of Chaplains, Department of the Army, 1977.

We have found other information about Father Vattman:

http://www.genweb.net/~leesue/Wcrawf1.htm

CRAWFORD TOWNSHIP - 737

CHAPTER III.

CRAWFORD TOWNSHIP

INTRODUCTORY-THE TOWNSHIP A HUNDRED YEARS AGO-THE CRAWFORD MONUMENT-THE STORY OF MATTHEW BRAYTON, THE LOST CHILD

EARLY SETTLERS-EXTRACTS FROM WILLIAM BROWN'S DIARY INHABITANTS OF THE TOWNSHIP IN 1845-0RIGINAL IMPROVEMENTS, ETC-ST.

JOSEPH'S ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH-OFFICERS SINCE 1866-HISTORY OF

The Church of Our Lady of Consolation at Carey, Ohio, was established in 1868 by Rt. Rev. A. Rappe, Bishop of Cleveland. The principal early members of the congregation were Joseph Roll, John Goetzinger, N. Steinmetz, Valentine Henige, H. Fetter, Joseph Pahl, Catharine Logsdon, K. Fuchs, George Noel and Jacob Fuchs.

The foundation of this church edifice was laid in the summer of 1868, under the supervision of Rev. E. Vattman. Work was then suspended until 1870, when Rev. L. Bihn, of Tiffin, pushed forward to completion the framework. The building was finally finished in 1873, under the supervision of Rev. Joseph P. Gloden, the present pastor. It is situated in Straw's Addition to the village of Carey, and is erected upon grounds which were donated by David Straw and his wife. It is 30x65 feet in dimensions, and cost $3,000.

The first pastor was Rev. E. Vattman, who resided at Findlay, Ohio. Then came Rev. L. Bihn, of Tiffin Ohio, who was succeeded in July, 1872, by Rev. J. P. Gloden, the present pastor. The present members of the congregation are thirty-three in number. The Board of Trustees or Councilmen is composed of the pastor, Joseph Roll, Valentine Henige and N. Steinmetz.


http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/view/VV/...

The Handbook of Texas Online

VATTMAN, TEXAS. Vattman is at the intersection of Farm roads 626 and 772, sixteen miles southeast of Kingsville in Kleberg County. In 1907 Theodore F. Koch,qv a land developer from Minnesota, purchased a large tract of land from the King Ranch.qv Shortly after acquiring the land he established the town of Riviera on the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway, five miles southwest of the site of Vattman. The Koch Land Company ran trains once or twice a month to Riviera carrying persons who were shown the land and encouraged to buy it.

In his search for prospective buyers, Koch approached Father Edward J. Vattmann, the secretary of the Catholic Colonization Society of America, to try to interest him in sending Catholic families to the Riviera community. A committee of the Catholic organization visited Koch's land and was impressed with the Riviera area.

As a result the society began encouraging Catholic families to move there. The first German Catholic family came from Westphalia, Texas, and purchased land. Edward J. May came in 1908 and bought forty acres. Then several German-American Catholic families from Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio came. Among these were Jacob and Edward Hubert and Leonard L. Huff.

In 1909 the Koch Land Company and the Catholic Colonization Society constructed a frame building as a place of worship. Following the 1916 hurricane the citizens built Our Lady of Consolation Church and a parish school. The social life of inhabitants centered mainly around the church and school. The settlers named the community Vattmannville after Father Vattmann, who accompanied them to the site.

A one-room public school that offered classes through the eighth grade was constructed and was expanded from time to time to accommodate the growing number of children. In 1948 the public school was consolidated with the Riviera school. In the early days vegetable growing and dairying were the main industries of the people living around Vattmannville. During the 1920s May supplemented his farming income by operating a store. Annually, on Thanksgiving Day, the members of the church serve a dinner prepared by the women of the community, and people from all over the area come to celebrate. Except for one year during World War II,qv this event has occurred every year. By 1989 it attracted about 2,000 people. From 1939 to 1948 the population of Vattman was estimated at twenty. In 1989 it was fifteen.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Sterling Bass, History of Kleberg County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1931). Leah H. Crocker, Riviera (MS, Riviera Historical Museum, Riviera, Texas). Kleberg County Historical Commission, Kleberg County, Texas (Austin: Hart Graphics, 1979). Theodore F. Koch Collection, Riviera Historical Museum, Riviera, Texas. Frances Marie Schroeder, Theodore F. Koch and the Founding of Riviera (M.S. thesis, Texas AI University, 1975).

By George O. Coalson

On the Internet, we read about Father Vattman's service to Teddy Roosevelt in connection with an article about the Masons.

http://members.xoom.com/gllrrp/index10.htm

FULL MASONIC RESTORATION © (1900-1912)

by MW Bro. Reynold S. Fajardo, PGM

Â…After the departure of Chapelle, the difficulties of the Masons with the friars cooled down. The friars failed to gain the support of the US Government which politely refused to help them get back their parishes and flatly turned down their request for the use of the military in suppressing the agrarian unrest in their vast landed estates. On the contrary, some official attempts were made to remove the friars from the Philippines.

The Americans were thoroughly scandalized by the immorality of the friars. When reports begun circulating in the American press about the wrong doings of the Spanish friars, President Roosevelt called on Father Vattman, a Catholic Chaplain in the U.S. Army, to make an investigation. Father Vattman spent three months in the Philippines returning with what amounted to dynamite in a small notebook. H.H. Kohlstaat, Chicago newspaper publisher, wrote that Vattman, "came into my office and showed me a little memo book giving details of towns he had visited and the dates. He told me he did not know there was so much wickedness in the world as was practiced by the Spanish friars. He said they kept from two to four women apiece in their parish houses, and one friar with whom he stopped several days became very friendly and knowing the captain was an army man `hail-fellow-well-met' suggested that if he saw any woman in the congregation that pleased his fancy, he would send her to his room. He also told me the natives despised and hated the Spanish friars, and had killed some seventy of them in the last few years . . ."

Kohlstaat then writes that it was decided to "buy out the friars" to avoid a scandal. In 1903, the Taft administration bought over 400,000 acres of friar lands; most of which were, in the first place, illegally acquired.

So ended the temporal powers of the friars in the Philippines.



Thank you for your help.

Regards, Gary Fresen
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mary Andrus 940941297000 
Devon Bailey 942577207000 
Mary Andrus 942604899000 
Gary Fresen 943951844000 
Mary Andrus 943958576000 
Gary Fresen 943959617000 
Angela Mrozin... 1493360142000 
Larry G Krull 952546096000 
Hans Juergen ... 1205356931000 
Mary Andrus 964863614000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic