Search for content in message boards

Sylvester C. King, born Pennsylvania 1830s

Replies: 1

Sylvester C. King, born Pennsylvania 1830s

Posted: 1435067389000
Classification: Query
Surnames: King, Reed, Cunningham, Dunn
I am looking for ancestors or any relatives of Sylvester C. King, who was born in Pennsylvania and was living in the household of Samuel Reed in Beaver County, PA, age 15 (b.c. 1835), in the 1850 census. Samuel Reed's wife's name is said to have been Elizabeth King Cunningham, daughter of Archibald Cunningham and Agnes/Nancy King, so I suspect a relationship there, but I'm stuck there as well. Sylvester apparently went to Indiana and served in the Civil War there. In 1865 he was married to Mary Ann Dunn, whose parents were from Rhode Island. This marriage occurred in Porter Co, IN. From there the couple moved to Grundy and Wright Co, Iowa. They apparently had no children. Sylvester, a rancher, died in West Virginia in a railroad accident in 1899, and is buried in Clarion, Iowa. In the 1880 census, Sylvester's parents were said to be from PA.

There are two other Sylvester C. Kings who are sometimes confused with him. One is Sylvester C. King born in Maryland about 1835. He appears to have been the son of John L. King. The other is Sylvester C. King who was born (I believe) in Erie County, PA, in 1837, who served in the Civil War in Illinois, and who ended up in Michigan. This Sylvester's parents were born in NY according to the 1910 census. I believe his father's name was Alfred.

Any help appreciated. This may solve a long-standing problem for me, as I believe he may somehow be related to my gr gr grandfather John, who has been my brick wall for over 40 years.

Bill King
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
king2rook1 1435067389000 
lmarti21 1461695389000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic