Search for content in message boards

Johns in Wilkinson Co. GA

Replies: 4

Johns in Wilkinson Co. GA

Posted: 1246973779000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Johns
I need some help, since it seems I have hit a wall here.
I have been trying to trace my husbands paternal line, and I am stuck at his great grandfather. This is what I have so far.
My husbands grandfather was Perry T Johns b.1910 in Macon, GA d 1972 in Pensacola FL.
I have found him on the 1920 Census living in Wilkinson Co. GA
with his mother and siblings.
Siblings were Annie P Johns b. abt 1913, and Bartow L Johns b. abt 1909.
I am assuming they were living with their mother, since on the census it lists them as sons and daughter. On said census she listed age as 33, making date of birth abt. 1887. It also lists her as a Widow. Her name is hard to make out on Census, but it is either Oplelia C Johns, or Ophelia (Ophelie) C. Johns. She is also listed as Ophelie I John. This is where I hit the brick wall.
The story goes that her husbands name was Archey T Johns. The only Archey T Johns(in that area), I have found was born to William L Johns and Phoebe S Johns who lived in Wilkinson Co. GA as well. I have only found one Archey T. Johns(in that area) on the 1880 and 1900 Census (they are the same Archey) on the 1900 census he is listed as single and he was 30 years old. He was born abt 1969.
I searched for people buried on the Wilkinson Co. GA cemeteries and found Ophlia Johns and A.T Johns buried at Nunn- Wheeler Cemetery. We took a drive out there.
There are no tombstones for Ophlia or A.T, But on the top of the slab on the same small square tiles(looks like tiles)
It is spelled on both At (a cross design) Rest and below it the names. Ophlia Johns and A.T. Johns.

I also want to point out, I think A.T. Johns is Archey T Johns, because he is buried on the same lot as William L, and Phoebe S Johns who were his parents, as well as other members of the family listed on the Census along with him.
There is the lot where he is buried, and before his lot there is another lot, and then there's Ophlia's lot where she was buried. I am just wandering if that Ophlia is the same one listed on the 1920 Census, and where did she come from. Also is the Archeyburied there the father of my husband's grandfather, and what happened to him?
Doing some research I found that Archey had married a Carrie Patterson (not entirely sure about this). In the 1900 Census, William L. Johns (Archey T Johns Father) was the head of the household, and Archey lived with him. On the Census of 1900, their neighbors were the family of Andrew Patterson, who had a daughter named Carrie O Patterson. She was born abt 1887. It doesn't say what the middle initial O stands for. Could Carrie, and Ophelia be the same person as well? I am so confused trying to figure this out. Any help would be great.
I know this is a long message, but I figured the more info I could share of what I found the greater the chance someone else might know something.
Thank you so much.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
gpjohnsjr 1246973779000 
gpjohnsjr 1246974298000 
ladybaldwin66 1247284212000 
MaryBeth_Wood... 1247536984000 
Tjohnsonfam 1248804089000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic