Search for content in message boards

Eliza Minix (wife of Isaac Jehu Jackson)

Replies: 0

Eliza Minix (wife of Isaac Jehu Jackson)

Posted: 1508310369000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Minix, Minick,Minnick, Jackson, Coy
I'm trying to find information about the ancestors of Eliza Minix. She was born in 1855 or 1856 (it seems to be 11 Nov. 1855) in MO and married Isaac Jehu Jackson on 15 Oct 1874 in Bolivar, Polk Co, MO. Family lore says that Eliza's parents were a mixed race couple, with one of her parents being Native American (Choctaw). The story is that her parents were murdered while living in Missouri when she was quite young and passersby found her a few days later in the cellar where either her parents had hidden her or the murderers had put her. She said she was adopted by a couple, but we don't know if this was a formal adoption or if she was simply taken in by a family to raise. Eliza also said that her adoptive father spent some of his time as a Methodist minister.

Eliza was illiterate, so the spelling of her last name is uncertain. While her marriage record says Minix, there are some other surnames we've seen (Minick, Minnick, etc.). She apparently never mentioned any previous marriage, but the marriage record to Isaac Jehu Jackson lists her as Mrs. Eliza Minix. Of course, mistakes happen (especially in records this old), so it's very possible there was no previous marriage.

If anyone has information on Eliza's parents and other ancestors, I would love to know about it. I've seen one source that says they were Peter Minick (1790-1880) and Rachel Coy (1814-1860). Peter would have been about 65 when Eliza was born which isn't out of the realm of possibility, and some other information seems to support Peter and Rachel being her parents of record. As I can't find any birth records for Eliza, I haven't been able to determine if they are her biological parents.

I would also love to have any information on Eliza's possible Native American heritage. During her lifetime, many people considered it shameful to have Native American blood and didn't talk about it much. Eliza never tried to get her name on the Choctaw rolls and the family didn't have enough information to be able to get it done, either.

Thank you to anyone who is able to enlighten me on Eliza Minix. My mother and her sisters would love to be able to nail down some information on her ancestors as it has been something the family has tried to do for some time.

Find a board about a specific topic