Trying to find Howland data. Resided in Illinois (Aurora, Elgin) but both Clark Howland and Louisa Wakefield Howland are from New York. Some data shown below:
A. Oral History
1. Louisa Wakefield (surname was known) married Clark Howland. Both were from New York. Clark Howland was supposedly married (5) times and had children by (4) wives.
Children whom we believe were born thru Louisa in Illinois include Henry, Mary, Ida, and (William or Wyman.)
2. Son Henry ran a tavern/saloon in Aurora, IL (Kane County)with wife Agnes Zimmerman. He died of TB at age 37. His children were Elsie, Ralph, and Harry. Ralph moved to Mishawaka, IN.
3. Confirming Clark Howland data has not been found at all.
B. Aurora, IL (Kane County) City Directories:
1. Louisa is shown as the Â“Widow of ClarkÂ” in years 1904 and 1905, she is listed as Â“WidowÂ” in 1880 Â– 1884, 1890, 1893
ï‚· Either Clark died before 1880 or she didnÂ’t claim he existed (the guy had 4 other wives in total).
2. LouisaÂ’s son Henry is shown at 116 Main St. (saloon)
C.. Census Records
1. 1870 Federal Census: Elgin, IL (Kane County) confirms Mrs. Louisa Howland as head of household.
age = 33 (therefore born abt. 1837)
2. 1850 Fed.Census, Adams NY (roll 526. P.253) shows a Ms. Louisa Wakefield at the home of Syman Mills in Adams, NY;
Syman Mills farmer age 30
ANN MILLS wife age 24 (* perhaps this is LouisaÂ’s sister?)
Will Mills son age 0.1
Louisa Wakefield (no rel. given) age 13 (* This is the only New York entry at the correct age).
1830 Census for Ellisburg NY lists a Wyman Wakefield (which is possibly the name of a son of Louisa). He has (9) children born before 1830. (1) daughter was born between 1825 and 1830 and this could be Ann (Mills) if related, but this is obviously too early to reveal Louisa since she was born 1836 or 1837.
H.D.Howland died 11jun1901 of Tuberculosis buried 6/13 age 37.5 section bw lot 158 owned by agnes m howland (4 lots, 3 empty)
Therefore born approx dec 1863 or jan 1864. *** This jives with 1870 census, which put also confirms Louisa's birth at 1837.