Search for content in message boards

Alexander & Andrew Huston of Bedford Co, PA: NEW Information

Replies: 0

Alexander & Andrew Huston of Bedford Co, PA: NEW Information

Posted: 1482277146000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1535996670000
This "paper" addresses the identity of Andrew Huston d. 1820 in Nelson Co, KY and his relatives.

Three of Andrew’s children stated they were born in PA:
1. Nancy m. Defever ca 1770 in PA (1850 census; she died in 1859)
2. Elizabeth “Betsy” ca 1783 in PA (1850 and 1860 censuses; she died in 1861)
3. Jonathan “John” ca 1785 in PA (1850 census; he died before 1860)

Andrew had a daughter Margaret m. Logsdon. She stated in one census that she was b. in MD and 2 children who survived to 1880 also stated the same. Additionally, Andrew had a son Jesse b. ca 1766. Jesse’s daughter Hannah m. Wardrope stated in 1880 that her father was born in MD.

Interim Point: Based on the above, Andrew Huston almost certainly lived in PA from ca 1770 to ca 1785. He probably lived very close to the PA/MD border and may have lived in MD for a period of time. Land and tax records next place Andrew in Ohio Co, VA (adjacent to PA and OH) in 1787, 1788, and 1789. The family then migrated to Madison Co, KY where they lived from 1790- early 1794. Later in 1794, Andrew moved to Hardin Co, KY and settled in that area.

Since Andrew was an adult in PA for at least 15 years from ca 1770 to ca 1785, he was surely captured in PA records. Between the Pennsylvania Tax and Exoneration List and the Septennial Censuses, these are the options:

1. Andrew Huston of Paxton, Lancaster Co in 1773, 1779, 1781. We can eliminate him because he died in May 1782 and left a will; no direct descendants.

2. Andrew Huston of West Cain, Chester Co. in 1781. West Cain Township was in the NW part of Chester close to Lancaster and Berks. We can eliminate him because he was still in the county as of 1789.

3. Andrew Huston of German, Fayette Co in 1785 and 1786. We can eliminate him because he was still living in Fayette Co. in 1790.

4. Andrew Huston of Bedford Co, PA from bef. 1771 to ca 1786-7. By process of elimination, he is the only possibility.

Interim Point: Proving that two men (Andrew Huston of Nelson Co, Ky and Andrew Huston of Bedford co, PA) were the same person by process of elimination is a basic tenet of the genealogical proof standard. But I can also positively affirm that the two Andrews were one and the same. First, Andrew lived on Wills Creek in the far southwest part of Bedford close to the MD border. Second, he was consistently on the tax list in Bedford through 1786 and then disappeared. There are no indications that he died, so he most likely migrated. Third, both yDNA and autosomal DNA show a close link between descendants of Andrew Huston and Alexander Huston Sr. Note: when I say “autosomal DNA,” I’m not referring to the junk DNA performed on Ancestry but expert analysis as described here: https://sites.google.com/site/bryantsofrockislandcreek/2-eur...

Because this paper involves a merger of two Huston lines, I invited Donna Croy-Wright, a researcher for the Alexander Sr. lineage, to review this document and my tree. The latter (my tree) has an entry, showing that Andrew purchased land from Benjamin Tomlinson in Ohio Co, VA in 1789. Donna pointed out that Tomlinson was a land developer/speculator on Wills Creek, Bedford Co. (Indeed, a 1778 land tax record for Bedford Co. shows that Andrew and Alexander rented to Ben Tumblson – no doubt Benjamin Tomlinson.)

The final -- and very important -- piece of evidence was a 1786 Bedford court record located by Cissy Rose. This record indicates that 3 Hustons were asked to testify in a felony trial against a John Hauger/Hanger in Bedford accused of stealing: Jesse Huston, son of Andrew; a John Huston, probably the son of Alexander Sr. (males could testify at age 14); and Robert Huston, brother of Andrew and Alexander.

More Key Points:

1. The combination of all the data I’ve provided in this document proves that Andrew Huston of Nelson Co., KY was the same man as Andrew Huston of Wills Creek in Bedford Co, PA.

2. Bedford Co was formed from Cumberland in 1771, and that’s when Huston men began showing up in tax and other records. By 1774, there were 3 Huston men in Bedford Co., all over 21: Alexander, Andrew, Robert. By 1777, the same men plus Edward had enrolled in Samuel Paxton’s 1st Battalion. (Andrew was enlisted in a different unit in 1781) An entry in the 1779 Bedford tax list indicated that Robert Huston was a son of “an” Andrew Huston. There are several reasons this was probably wrong. First, another 1779 Bedford tax record incorrectly listed Edward as the son of Alexander. We know he wasn’t the son of the Alexander on the tax list, because Alexander son’s Edward later stated in a lawsuit that he was 21 in 1794 or b. ca 1773. Second, even if the statement was correct, Robert’s father could have been a different, unknown Andrew living nearby on the MD side of the border. Third, Robert did not follow the same migration path as Andrew. He remained in Bedford Co, PA and then migrated to Belmont and Harrison Co. OH. Fourth, Andrew’s last child Charity was b. 1788. Since Robert was b. bef. 1753 and Charity was b. ca 1788, that’s a 35-year child-bearing span – a very rare event, which I’ve only seen occur when a man was married multiple times. Fifth, additional data presented below indicates that the DOBs of Alexander, Andrew, Robert, and Edward were consistent with siblings. In my tree, I list them as siblings.

2. Let’s discuss the DOB of Andrew Huston d. 1820. His oldest proven child (marriage record) was Nancy b. 1770 m. John Defever, so Andrew was certainly b. bef. 1748. Since he was clearly the father of Jesse b. ca 1766, then Andrew’s DOB was bef. 1744. A 1784 land warrant in Bedford Co. stated that Andrew had lived on Wills Creek since 1763. The wording may have been boilerplate associated with an Indian treaty, but if it’s correct, it pushes back Andrew’s DOB to bef. 1742. That’s the date I’ve used in my tree.

3. DOB of the siblings:
Alexander Sr. b. bef. 1739 based on 1761 DOB of daughter Mary as stated on her gravestone. Alexander married Mary Ann Johnson and d. Feb 1814 in Montgomery Co, OH. Alexander’s children are well documented due to a lawsuit.

Andrew b. bef 1742 d. 1820 in Nelson Co, Ky m. Martha unknown. Her family may have lived in the Wills Creek area. All of Andrew’s proven and likely children are discussed in this document; however, there could have been additional children.

Robert b. bef 1753. Wife unknown. Per the bio of son Alexander, he migrated to Belmont Co, OH ca 1800 and then to Harrison Co, OH. He had at least 9 sons and 3 daughters. See my tree for more info.

Edward b. ca 1755 d. 6 May 1828 in Columbiana Co, OH m. Winnifred Grate. Based on estate records, their children are documented.

Possible Rachel b. ca 1760 m. Tobias Oswalt. Some have speculated she might have been a Huston. I haven’t seen any evidence.

5. Rev War service: Surviving records show all 4 men enlisted in Paxtons 1st Battalion in 1777 and 1778. Andrew was a sergeant. Another record shows Andrew enlisted in 1781 in McCall’s 7th Company, 3rd Battalion.

6. Some have listed Andrew as the father of Alexander. There has never been any basis for that claim, and the new data presented in this document should clarify that they were brothers. If you are still skeptical, then consider this: To be the father of Alexander, Andrew must have been b. bef. 1717. (Men during his time frame were almost always over 21 when they married and usually in their mid to late 20’s) This translates into an age of 64+ in 1781, when he served in the Rev War, 71+ when his last child was born and 103+ when he died. Clearly, whoever originally identified Andrew as the father of Alexander made a major, unwarranted error -- but one that we can now correct.

7. Land records in Ohio Co, VA, Madison Co, KY AND Nelson Co. KY indicate that Andrew’s wife was Martha Unknown. There are no records of any other wife.

8. The 1783 Bedford Co, PA tax list stated that Andrew’s household had 9 residents, so he and Martha could have had 7 children living with them -- or part of the household composition could have been relatives. Let’s assume for a moment that all were all children. Here are the likely options:

• Jesse b. 1766 m. Margaret Unknown.
• Isaac b. 1769 m. Elizabeth Unknown.
• Nancy b. 1770 m. Defever
• Margaret m. Logsdon
• Joseph b. 1775 m. Carter
• Ruthy b. 1779 m. Jackson
• William b. ca 1780 m. Reynolds

(Other children -- Elizabeth "Betsy" m. Carter, Jonathan/John m. Harp, and Charity m. Carter) were probably born after the 1783 tax list)

9. A 1784 land warrant indicated that Andrew may have lived on Wills Creek as early as 1763. As previously noted, Wills Creek is in far southwest Bedford adjacent to Frederick Co, MD until 1776, then Washington Co, MD until 1789, and finally adjacent to Alleghany Co, MD. This is the western panhandle of MD adjacent to what was originally Hampshire Co, VA and is now Hampshire Co., WV. If the parents of Alexander, Andrew, et. al. were from Virginia, rather than MD, they might have lived in Hampshire or one of the counties from which it was formed (Orange, Frederick).

Research Needs:
1. There are two yDNA tests from the Alexander Sr. line and both appear to be via his son Alexander Jr. Testing at least one more descendant of Alexander Sr -- by a different son -- is necessary to prove the yDNA signature of Alexander Sr. (It would also be helpful to have a test by a descendant of Edward Huston m. Elizabeth Grate.) If you are a candidate or know of a candidate, please contact me.

2. Efforts should be made to research possible PA bounty land claims by our Huston ancestors for their Rev War Service.
http://www.phmc.pa.gov/Archives/Research-Online/Pages/Land-R...

3. Since our Huston men lived on the border of PA and MD, it’s possible that one or more might also have served in a MD unit. This should also be investigated.

4. Finally, research in the neighboring counties of MD and VA could provide leads about the identity of the father of Andrew, Alexander, Robert and Edward. This unknown Huston was born before 1722 and very likely b. bef. 1712. Some preliminary work has been done but more is needed.

Find a board about a specific topic