Search for content in message boards

Holleys in Alabama/Florida fighting in World War 2

Replies: 0

Holleys in Alabama/Florida fighting in World War 2

Posted: 1525810062000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Holley, Lolley, Weeks, Ezell, Hall
Hi,

I am looking for information and possible descendants of the Holley brothers from Florida/Alabama, as follows -

James Hosea Holley (born approx. 1917)
William Hill Holley (1918)
Houston Duncan Holley (1923)
Holland Columbus Holley (1925)
Hubert Holley (1927)
Howard H Holley (1929)

I believe they were the sons of Thomas Columbus “Little Lum” Holley (1888) and Sallie Weeks (1894). Little Lum was the son, I think, of James Hosea Holley (1867) and Martha Ann Mattie Weeks (1864). I’m also aware of a cousin, Sidney MF Holley (1907), son of Godfrey William Holley (1885), who it seems was Little Lum’s brother.

Following a DNA test taken by my dad, it’s possible that one of these guys is my paternal grandfather. I would generally like to learn more about them, therefore, to see whether this is likely. I have a particular interest in any information regarding what they did in World War 2, as my dad was a war baby born in England in 1944 to an English mother and an unknown American father - most likely a GI, possibly an airman.

Following several months’ research, trying for figure out how my dad’s various DNA 3rd and 4th cousin matches are connected to each other, I have come to a fairly confident conclusion that he holds DNA independently from both the Weeks and Lolley families from Alabama, and that there are only a couple of places where these families crossover relative to my dad’s strongest DNA matches.

Specifically, I think he is a descendant of James Allen Weeks (1834) and Nelly Janie Lolley (1845), who had several children, including Martha Ann Weeks, discussed above (who married James Hosea Holley). I think Martha also married twice more to Tom Hall and John Ezell, with whom she also seems to have had additional children - which complicates things.

Naturally, I am also looking at the descendants of Martha’s other siblings - Mary Jane Weeks, Nancy Ann Bessie Weeks, Celie Ann Weeks, Nora Jane Weeks, Blanch Weeks, E.C Weeks, so any information about them would be good too. I was particularly drawn to the Holley brothers, though, as they all seem to be blue-eyed and over six feet tall, just like me!

Would love to hear back from anyone that can offer information and help.

Kind regards,
David

Find a board about a specific topic