Search for content in message boards

genealogy book: 'the hicks family of east tennessee' by evan hicks

Replies: 5

Re: genealogy book: 'the hicks family of east tennessee' by evan hicks

Posted: 1553451880000
Classification: Query
Sorry for the delay in responding but I just noticed your message last week.

I first saw a reference to "The Hicks Family of East Tennessee" by Evans Hicks several years ago in a story on the Internet was not sourced. It was one page that had some Hicks family histories, and the reference was at the top of the page in a Section 823: "The Hicks Family Pioneer." I am reasonably confident that Evans Hicks is Rev. Ira Evans Hicks (b. 5 Jan 1875 in Madisonville, Monroe Co. TN), son of Charles Wesley Hicks (1841-1923), grandson of Mark Moore Hicks (1811-1884), great grandson of Charles B. Hicks (1873-1836), and 2x grandson of John Hicks and Comfort Malone.

This reference and another on Shadrach Hicks was submitted by Dan Hicks Jr. There is a memorial on the Internet that describes Dan Hicks Jr. (b. 23 Oct 1921 TN, d. 4 Dec 2011 in Madisonville, Monroe Co. TN). He owned and operated a newspaper in Madisonville called The Madison County Democrat from 1967-1990.
Dan Hicks is a great grandson of George Milton Hicks (1817-1871), 2x grandson of Charles B. Hicks (1783-1836), and 3x grandson of John Hicks and Comfort Malone. In his memorial, Dan Hicks Jr. had a son Dan Hicks III. There is a Dan Hicks III in Crossville, Cumberland Co. TN. If he is a descendant of Charles B. Hicks, he may have some records from his father or others that would be of interest.

Last week, I found a Hicks family tree on Geni.com, managed by Patricia Norton Chong. In her research, she said she used the reference in question and relied on articles published in the Madisonville Democrat by Charles Wesley Hicks from 1921-1922. You can also access her family tree on John B. Hicks by googling "evans hicks east Tennessee." I'm not too familiar with Geni, but, other than the above, I didn't find any additional information on the reference in question. Last week, I sent a message to Patricia Norton Chong, manager of the Geni tree, but have not heard back from her or others listed there.

From my own research, I know that Charles Wesley Hicks (b. 13 Dec 1842 in Monroe Co. TN, d. 22 Oct 1923 in Madisonville TN) was a son of Mark Monroe Hicks, grandson of Charles B. Hicks. In a Civil War Questionnaire, C.W. Hicks, son of Mark Monroe Hicks, provides some very useful information on the descendants of John Hicks and Comfort Malone. So, it appears that Charles Wesley Hicks published articles on the Hicks families in the Madisonville newspaper shortly before his death.

I hope you find this information helpful. I've been extensively researching this Hicks line for the past few years and have quite a lot of records (land, court, Bible, etc.) that I have not seen listed in any Hicks family trees. I'm especially interested in collaborating with other Hicks researchers to share information, data, and thoughts. I've found this to be extremely helpful when I have researched other family lines.

I look forward to hearing from you or others. My email address is:
dmartin978@yahoo.com.

Best regards,

Dave Martin
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
darallen814 1546016218000 
gaframer 1546634049000 
darallen814 1546782588000 
gaframer 1546792882000 
darallen814 1547388396000 
Dave Martin 1553451880000 
per page