Search for content in message boards

HEALY'S Ardrea Ballymote Co.Sligo

Replies: 10

Healy/Flynn of Ballymote, Sligo

Posted: 983611189000
Edited: 993209304000
Dear Margaret,

I saw your message on the message board and may have a
suggestion or two on how to find information on the parents of John Healy
and Margaret Flynn. From their marriage date I would say John and Margaret
were born in the mid to late 1880s, which would give you a starting point at
least, to continue your pedigree backward in time.

According to Brain Mitchell's book, A Guide To Irish Parish Registers, and
another book entitled, General Alphabetical Index To the Townlands And
Towns, Parishes And Baronies of Ireland, by Ireland's Agricultural And
Emigration Statistics Office of 1861, Ardrea and Ballymote were served by
the Roman Catholic parishes of Emelfad and Kilmorgan, which have parish
registers of marriages going back to 1824, and baptisms as far back as 1856.
The Church of Ireland registers for the parish go back to 1831. See the
information below concerning the Catholic parish registers. This information
is taken from the Mormon's online Family History Library Catalog, which you
can access at


Marriages 1824-1902; Baptisms 1856-1901; Baptisms 1874-1909; Marriages
1909-1929; Film number: 1279232 Items 10-15

Marriages 1824-1875 Baptisms 1866-1881 Film number: 926016

The Catholic parish of Ballymote was formerly called Emlaghfad and
Kilmorgan. It includes the civil parishes of Emlaghfad and Kilmorgan.


As you can see from the above dates for the two films, there should be
baptismal and marriage records for John Healy and Margaret Flynn, and
baptismal records for their children as well, if they were Catholics. The records should also contain the names of any of John's and Margaret's brothers and sisters, too.

If Margaret was married in the Ballymote area for the second time, you will
also be able to search for that marriage in these registers.

One of the volunteers there can help you to order the films, which cost
about $3.25 each and can be rented for a three week period. Those marriage
and baptismal entries are important for your genealogical research as they
should contain the maiden names of John's and Margaret's mothers, and
perhaps names of other family members and friends who may have stood witness
at the marriages of John and Margaret, and the marriage of their parents. The parish registers may also contain the names of the godparents at the baptisms of the children born to these families.

The registers may even have references to John and Margaret's grandparents'
marriage or baptisms, depending on the dates for those events.

These microfilms can be ordered from your local Family History Center,
sponsored by the Mormon's Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. To
find the center nearest you please call 800-346-6044.

I also found at the FHL catalog online the name of a book that may interest you entitled: History of Ballymote and the Parish of Emlaghfad, by James Christopher MacDonagh. Unfortunately the publisher, the date of publication, nor the ISBN number were given, but I'm sure with the just the names of the book and the author, you would be able to order it from your library's interlibrary loan program.

I also checked the catalog for the 1901 and 1911 census returns for Ballymote, Sligo, but the films were not listed, which means the transcribers for the Mormon church have not filmed these records, or that the online version of the catalog has not been updated. If you go to your FHC check to see if there are census records for Ballymote for 1901 and 1911, as these may also give you information about your ancestors.

The County Sligo Heritage and Genealogy Centre has copies of the 1901 census. You could also contact them if you are interested. Their website is at:

The National Archives in Dublin is the keeper of the census returns for Ireland. The people at the archives won't do research for you, but you can hire a genealogist or better yet, go to the National Archives and search through the census returns yourself.

Birth, marriage, and death records for the time period you are interested in
are also available from the General Register Office, in Dublin. They have
vital records for all Ireland going back to 1864. But I would try the parish
registers first, as those entries may give you more information about your
ancestors than the civil records would.

One thing the civil records will have that the parish registers probably
won't, is the death record of John Healy, if he died in Ireland. The website for the GRO is:

Once you get to the home page, follow the prompts on the left side to see
how you send away for civil records, and how much it will cost.

Margaret, if you have any questions about the above information, or if the information is not clear, please email.

All the best,

Dave Boylan

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Margaret Davis 983000575000 
DaveBoylan 983611189000 
17oliver 1210027412000 
William Mcfad... 1253879388000 
William Mcfad... 1253880068000 
William Mcfad... 1285002585000 
Haley_Jeff 1004308791000 
Margaret Davis 1004368788000 
colinh45 1356244259000 
Margaret_Davi... 1356270018000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic