While researching the Flick family of New Orleans I came upon information regarding the Hartdegen name. While not directly related to me I have amassed quite a bit of information. John Flick married Anna Augusta Hartdegen, July 29, 1871 in New Orleans. They had 5 children; John (b. 1872), Charles Edward (b.1873), Anna Elizabeth (b. 1875), Gertrude P. (b. 1877), and Ellinora J. (b. 1887). All the children were born in New Orleans.
Anna Augusta Hartdegen had at least 1 brother, Andrew William or William Andrew Hartdegen. William Andrew was living with John and Augusta Flick on the 1880 federal census. He was listed as a cabinetmaker. William andrew married Caroline "Lena" Bayer on Sept. 19, 1882, and they had at least 6 children: Leonora (b. 1883), George (b. 1892), Gustave (b. 1896), Charles Conrad (b. 1893), Emile William (b. 1897), and Frederick Wilhelm(b. 1888). William Andrew was born about 1858 and died August 22, 1922. He is buried in St. Roch Cemetery in New Orleans.
Anna Augusta Hartdegen Flick was born January 30, 1852 in Hessen, Kassell, Germany according to her death certificate. She died February 12, 1931 in Los Angeles, California and is buried in Inglewood Park Cemetery. Her parents were listed as Edward Hartdegen and Elizabeth Estein. Her husband, John Flick, died in 1889 and somewhere between 1892 and 1893 she moved to Columbus, Ohio with her son Charles Edward. In 1919 she moved to California and lived with her daughter Ella Meidroth, wife of William Meidroth (b. 1881 Illinois),in 1930 she was living with her other daughter, Gertrude P. Burke (wife of Dr. Carey A. Burke).
As for the children of William Andrew Hartdegen:
1. Leonora (aka: Ella), was born July 24, 1889, and died March 8, 1957. She married Leon Lucien Verges, son of Jean Marie Verges (b. 1845 d. July 30, 1894), and Marie Louise Eymas. They were married November 10, 1913.
2. Frederick Wilhelm, was born March 4, 1888, and died July 12, 1957. He married Conchetta Imbesale, born March 23, 1894 in Italy, and died July 1977 in New Orleans. Her mother was Mary Impastato, born 1871 in Italy. The family immigrated in 1889.
3. Emile William, was born April 8, 1893 or December 2, 1897, and died April 25, 1957. He married Thelma Lafontaine. They had at least 1 child, Malcolm. Malcolm is buried in St. Roch cemetery in New Orleans. Vault #45
4. Gustave, was born July 22, 1896 and died March 11, 1955. He married Mercedes Latapie, born 1904, and died December 22, 1943. Gustave and his wife Mercedes are buried in St. Roch Cemetery in New Orleans. Vault #45
5. Charles Conrad, was born March 4, 1897
6. George, was born 1893 and died unknown. He married Hazel P. Stann, born 1899 and died unknown. They had at least 1 child: George, born 1913 in Louisiana, and died December 7, 1983 in Riverside, California.
I believe Anna Augusta Hartdegen immigrated to the U.S. in 1871 as she was on a ship's passenger list. The ship was the "Hannover" and arrived in New Orleans April 1, 1871 from Bremen, Germany. Also listed was a Louis Hartdegen, age 17 (b. 1854).
Other Hartdegens are:
1. August Hartdegen, born 1860. Married Anna M. Wagner December 28, 1885. She was born 1865.
2. George Henry Hartdegen, born January 19, 1864 in Germany, died July 23, 1941 in Beaumont, Jefferson County, Texas. He married Julia Susan Siebert, born October 3, 1850 in New Orleans, and died May 11, 1934 in Beaumont, Texas. She married George Hartdegen on January 4, 1893 in New Orleans. It was her second marriage, the first being to Joseph Weixel (d. 1891 in New Orleans). George and Julia had at least 1 child: Catherine, born January 16, 1897 in New Orleans, and died June 1978 in Beaumont, Texas. Catherine Hartdegen married John Joseph Frank.
3. William Frederick Hartdegen, born July 1860 Germany, and died 1911. He immigrated in 1882. He married in 1887 to Marie Johanna Damm, born May 18, 1861 in Germany, died October 18, 1944 in Contra Costa County, California, daughter of Johann George Damm and Elizabeth Weber. William and Marie had at least 2 children: Henry William Hartdegen, born February 2, 1891 in Los Angeles, and Max Hartdegen, born October 9, 1889 in Los Angeles, and died October 3, 1960 in Napa County, California.
4. Emile Adam Hartdegen, born March 20, 1873 in Dusseldorf Stadt, Rhineland, Prussia. Son of Adam Hartdegen and Maria Christina Weigel. Adam and Maria were married February 4, 1870 in Dusseldorf.
5. Amelia Hartdegen, born December 21, 1869 in New Orleans, and died August 13, 1924 in Beaumont, Texas. She married Frederick Hartdegen, born 1869 in Germany. She is buried in the Magnolia Cemetery, Beaumont, Texas.
Fromn the death index of New Orleans comes the following: Elizabeth Hartdegen, born 1884, died May 2, 1885
Edward Henry Hartdegen, born 1886, died May 7, 1887
As for the children of John Flick and Augusta Hartdegen:
1. John Flick, born about 1872 in New Orleans,died unknown.
2. Charles Edward Flick, born March 16, 1873 in New Orleans, died April 14, 1958 in Springfield, Clark County, Ohio. Married October 19, 1911 in Clark County, Ohio, to Isabella Lavinia McCormack.
3. Anna Elizabeth Flick, born August 15, 1875 in New Orleans, died sometime before 1910.
4. Gertrude P. Flick, born December 4, 1877 in New Orleans, died February 28, 1964. Married about 1896 to Dr. Carey A. Burke.
5. Ellinora J. Flick, born August 16, 1887 in New Orleans, died April 5, 1963 in West Covina, Los Angeles County, California. Married William Meidroth, born August 25, 1880 in Peoria, Illinois, and died September 3, 1942 in Los Angeles County, California. They had at least 2 children:
William Meidroth, born 1916 in Indiana, and Marilyn J. Meidroth, born June 12, 1922 in California.
This is about all I have on the Hartdegen family. It is such an unusual name and it seems very little is known about them, I thought I would provide what I knew to anyone researching them.