Search for content in message boards

Gillespie in Ballydoo, Eglish, Armagh - early 1800

Replies: 0

Gillespie in Ballydoo, Eglish, Armagh - early 1800

Posted: 1549171605000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gillespie, Nelson
I descend from Gillespie's who came from Armagh and (supposedly) Scotland before that. I recently got a DNA match, admittedly not a close one, to somebody who descends from Ann Nelson and Edward Corrigan, both born in Eglish parish, west of the city of Armagh. According to other family trees, the parents of Ann Nelson were Edward Nelson and Margaret Gillespie. Edward died in 1856, and his will made his primary beneficiary his daughter, Ann Corrigan, who had moved back to Scotland at that point. The only record I find of Margaret is in Griffith's Valuation where there is a Margaret Nelson in Ballydoo.

This Margaret Gillespie is a bit of a mystery since my Gillespie's were known to come from other parishes in Armagh. Supposedly she was born in 1800, but I have found no record of that. But today, I did find a baptism record of one Jane Gillespie, born 1797 in Ballydoo, parents were James Gillespie and Eleanor Simonton! So now we have record of a Gillespie family living in Ballydoo, presumably also parents of Margaret Gillespie. Very interesting.

I would be interested to hear from anybody who might have some ideas where this Gillespie family came from and when. Of course, we believe they were from Scotland, but where? Ann Corrigan went to live in New Monkland, so perhaps she had Gillespie relations there, but on the other hand, her husband's relations might have been there too. Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks, Mary Ann

Find a board about a specific topic