Search for content in message boards

Dillon from Kildare Ireland

Replies: 36

Re: Dillon history by Michael J. Dillon

Posted: 1300027070000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1325427299000
Surnames: Dillon
I was fortunate to receive this information from Michael. I also added some of my own information to expand the Dillon Family Information.
I hope that some will help.
If you are interested, I also have information on the Dillon's from Ireland that goes back to 1176. I will need to scan it to be able to send it to anyone interested.
I also added some of my direct family tree.
I am still trying to find the link for my direct lineage from Canada to Ireland. Not sure where they came in exactly.

Marcel Dillon
Ontario, Canada

Dillon Coat of Arms
Dillon Coat of Arms
Dillon

View Dillon Family Name Products

Origin Displayed: Irish

Origins Available: German, Irish

Spelling variations of this family name include: Dillon, Delion, Dilune, Dilon, Dylon, Dillan, Dillen and many more.

First found in Drumrany, County Westmeath (Irish: An Iarmhí) in the Irish Midlands, province of Leinster, where they were the Barons of Drumrany.

Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: William Dillon who settled in St. John's, Newfoundland in 1796; John Dillon settled in St. John's in 1814; Moses Dillon settled in Harbour Grace in 1814.

(Above is a small excerpt from our 1800 word history)
Motto Translated: While I have breath I hope.

BLAZON OF ARMS
Argent,a lion passant between three crescents gules

Translation
In heraldry, argent (white or silver) denotes. Peace and Sincerity while the lion is a symbol of majesty and Kingship. The crescent is associated with Faith.

CRESCENT - A demi-lion rampant gules, holding in the paws an estoile wavy or

MOTTO - Dum spiro sprero

Translation
While I breathe, I hope
Origin - Ireland

From the book of Ellis Dillon, "Inside Ireland".
DILLON name, however, became Diolun , with the accent on the second syllable. She discovered the reason for this, that our name, the Lion
(lion showing boldly on the crest) was pronounced de Lioune in France until the seventeenth century.

Dillon

Although not native Gaelic in origin the name Dillon may now be regarded as hundred per cent Irish: when met outside Ireland it will almost always be found to belong to a person of Irish origin or with Irish connexions. The Dillons came to Ireland at the time of the Anglo-Norman invasion and during the well nigh eight centuries which have elapsed since that event Dillon has been an important name in Irish history and in modern politics. The family never lost the power and influence it acquired at the end of the twelfth century. The large tract of country covering most of the modern county of Westmeath, which was their main territory, became known as Dillon's Country. A branch settled in Co. Mayo. Many Dillons held high government office up the fall of the Stuarts. Their chief renown thereafter was won as Colonel-Proprietors of Dillon's Regiment, famous in French military annals. The Dillons were created Counts in 1711 and their descendants still live in France. Several holders of the sixteenth century earldom of Roscommon have been noteworthy, the best known being Wentworth Dillon (1633-1685) the fourth earl, a voluminous and at one time much esteemed poet. The present Lord Dillon is nineteenth Viscount of Costello-Gallen in Co. Sligo. Prominent Dillons of later times are too numerous to mention individually, but reference should be made to three generations of a Co. Roscommon Dillon family who have played an important part in Irish politics: John Blake Dillon (1816-1866), Young Irelander; his son John Dillon (1851-1927), M.P.; and his grandson James Dillon, Minister in the Government of the Republic of Ireland and a Leader of the Opposition.

The HIstory Place - Irish Potato Famine

Coffin Ships

During the Famine period, an estimated half-million Irish were evicted from their cottages. Unscrupulous landlords used two methods to remove their penniless tenants. The first involved applying for a legal judgment against the male head of a family owing back-rent. After the local barrister pronounced judgment, the man would be thrown in jail and his wife and children dumped out on the streets. A 'notice to appear' was usually enough to cause most pauper families to flee and they were handed out by the hundreds.

The second method was for the landlord to simply pay to send pauper families overseas to British North America. Landlords would first make phony promises of money, food and clothing, then pack the half-naked people in overcrowded British sailing ships, poorly built and often unseaworthy, that became known as coffin ships.

The first coffin ships headed for Quebec, Canada. The three thousand mile journey, depending on winds and the captain's skill, could take from 40 days to three months. Upon arrival in the Saint Lawrence River, the ships were supposed to be inspected for disease and any sick passengers removed to quarantine facilities on Grosse Isle, a small island thirty miles downstream from Quebec City.

But in the spring of 1847, shipload after shipload of fevered Irish arrived, quickly overwhelming the small medical inspection facility, which only had 150 beds. By June, 40 vessels containing 14,000 Irish immigrants waited in a line extending two miles down the St. Lawrence. It took up to five days to see a doctor, many of whom were becoming ill from contact with the typhus-infected passengers. By the summer, the line of ships had grown several miles long. A fifteen-day general quarantine was then imposed for all of the waiting ships. Many healthy Irish thus succumbed to typhus as they were forced to remain in their lice-infested holds. With so many dead on board the waiting ships, hundreds of bodies were simply dumped overboard into the St. Lawrence.

Others, half-alive, were placed in small boats and then deposited on the beach at Grosse Isle, left to crawl to the hospital on their hands and knees if they could manage. Thousands of Irish, ill with typhus and dysentery, eventually wound up in hastily constructed wooden fever sheds. These makeshift hospitals, badly understaffed and unsanitary, simply became places to die, with corpses piled "like cordwood" in nearby mass graves. Those who couldn't get into the hospital died along the roadsides. In one case, an orphaned Irish boy walking along the road with other boys sat down for a moment under a tree to rest and promptly died on the spot.

The quarantine efforts were soon abandoned and the Irish were sent on to their next destination without any medical inspection or treatment. From Grosse Isle, the Irish were given free passage up the St. Lawrence to Montreal and cities such as Kingston and Toronto. The crowded open-aired river barges used to transport them exposed the fair-skinned Irish to all-day-long summer sun causing many bad sunburns. At night, they laid down close to each other to ward off the chilly air, spreading more lice and fever.

Many pauper families had been told by their landlords that once they arrived in Canada, an agent would meet them and pay out between two and five pounds depending on the size of the family. But no agents were ever found. Promises of money, food and clothing had been utterly false. Landlords knew that once the paupers arrived in Canada there was virtually no way for them to ever return to Ireland and make a claim. Thus they had promised them anything just to get them out of the country.

Montreal received the biggest influx of Irish during this time. Many of those arriving were quite ill from typhus and long-term malnutrition. Montreal's limited medical facilities at Point St. Charles were quickly overwhelmed. Homeless Irish wandered the countryside begging for help as temperatures dropped and the frosty Canadian winter set in. But they were shunned everywhere by Canadians afraid of contracting fever.

Of the 100,000 Irish that sailed to British North America in 1847, an estimated one out of five died from disease and malnutrition, including over five thousand at Grosse Isle.

Up to half of the men that survived the journey to Canada walked across the border to begin their new lives in America. They had no desire to live under the Union Jack flag in sparsely populated British North America. They viewed the United States with its anti-British tradition and its bustling young cities as the true land of opportunity. Many left their families behind in Canada until they had a chance to establish themselves in the U.S.

Americans, unfortunately, not only had an anti-British tradition dating back to the Revolutionary era, but also had an anti-Catholic tradition dating back to the Puritan era. America in the 1840s was a nation of about 23 million inhabitants, mainly Protestant. Many of the Puritan descendants now viewed the growing influx of Roman Catholic Irish with increasing dismay.

One way to limit immigration was to make it more expensive to get to America. Ports along the eastern seaboard of the U.S. required a bond to be posted by the captain of a ship guaranteeing that his passengers would not become wards of the city. Passenger fares to the U.S. in 1847 were up to three times higher than fares to Canada. The British government intentionally kept fares to Quebec low to encourage the Irish to populate Canada and also to discourage them from emigrating to England.

Dillon Family Name History
Those who have born or indeed who bear the illustrious family name Dillon, can trace their ancestry back to the time when Ireland was covered with large forests and lakes, where memorials were inscribed on Ogham stones and where there existed a complex society with clearly defined laws and religion whose people were expert in weaponry and who had a strong warrior tradition.
This was the Celtic Ireland, from the "Lebor Gabhala" ( Book of Invasions), written in Ireland in the ninth century at a time when the forebears of the Dillon family resided in fortified towns or rural communities, engaged in such professions as scribes, physicians, or employed as soldiers in Ireland before the birth of Christ. The last and the one who left the greatest legacy to Ireland were the Feni and the Gaeil. Some fifty years ago before the birth of Christ, while the proud ancestors of the Dillon family formed alliances with neighboring families through marriage and tribute, the final phase of the Geltic settlement of Ireland commenced, with the arrival of the Feni. These were call "Gaeil" by the Celts who were already in Ireland. By the fifth century AD, the Gaeil had come to dominate Ireland.
It was the Gaeil who were to bequeath to the Irish the beautiful and ancient Gaelic language, the language spoken in Ireland when St-Patrick came, first as a slave and then as a missionary. The Gaeil may be divided into two major groups, the "Eaghanacht" (people of Eagan) who were the South Gaels and the "Connachta" people of the Conn), the North Gaels. The latter were the larger and more powerful of the two. Thus, those spirited men and women of the Dillon family who lived in Ireland during this period of Irish history would have pledged allegiance to neither of the above clan, through blood line or through marriage. It is important not to associate Gaeldom in Ireland with the general decline of Geltic societies on the continent, for long after the Celts of the European mainland had seen their fortune wane, the Celts of Ireland were expanding their territory with all the vitality of their contemporaries, the fifth-century Germanic tribes of Europe.
In the tradition of the Gael members of the Dillon family have stood strong in the face of adversity. The Gael and their allies have always displayed pride, confident strenght, and expansion. This is reflected in the attitudes of the native Irish chiefs of the sixteenth century, as they were for the most part unrelenting and disdainful of english conquest. Indeed, according to the Geltic scholar C Thomas Cairney, "Foppish Elisabethan ways certainly elicited a boisterous reaction from members of the O'Neill's heavily armed bodyguard on his historic visit to London in 1562". Although the surname Dillon is not native Gaelic in origin, since the twelfth century the Dillons have been important in Irish life and a result of this the name can be considered to the almost exclusively Irish. The Dillon family, in fact, claim descent from Sir Henry le Dillon who accompanied King John, the Earl of Moreton, into Ireland in 1185.
From the English Prince this French soldier obtained extensive territorial grants in counties Lohgford and Westmeath, which became known as Dillon's Country. A branch of this family also settled in the county of Mayo. Through intermarriage the Dillon were integrated into the existing Gaelic culture and thus became thoroughly hibernicized. Many Dillon’s held high government office up to the seventeenth century, a period of Gaelic and Catholic submergence by the British Government. Following this, some Dillon’s were forced to flee the country, but the achieved prominence as soldiers in the French army, resulting in the formation of the famous Dillon's Regiment." The Dillon’s were created Counts in France in 1711 and some of their descendants still live there.

Dillon Family Name History
There have been many notable bearers of this surname including John Blake Dillon (1816-1866), the "Young Irelander" (a nineteenth century group who struggled on behalf of Irish nationalism), and his son John Dillon (1851-1927), a Member of the British Government prior to partition.
In Ireland, as in a number of European countries, family names, such as Dillon, were very often established prior to the use of the coat of arms. Indeed, the use of the blazons of arms in Ireland beganonly with the arrival of the Normans in the twelfth century but once adopted were born with honor and pride by families such as the Dillon family. The arms displayed by the Irish of Norman descent are in the Norman style, favoring simple designs suiting the original purpose of coats of arms. The native developed a distinguished Gaelic heraldry with roots in pre-christian Geltic beliefs and customs. For instance, the red hand, which appears on the hand of the O'Neills and other prominent families, is thought to have been inspired by the character of Labraid Lamhdhearg ('Labraid of the Red Hand"), son of Bolg, the Geltic sun-God and mythological ancestor of all the Celts. And so it is that those who today are priviledged to bear the name Dillon may not only claim a distinguished ancestry but also know that through the centuries within the history of Ireland has also been written the history of the Dillon family.

Notes- were taken from the Historical Research Center, for more info see the original copy as an annexe in the Dillon family memory book.¨

Dillon Ellis, Author of Inside Ireland
In 1979 she was elected a fellow of the royal Society of Literature.
Notes from her book;
The Dillon’s were professionals fighting men, for King James against William of Orange. After the siege of Limerick, in 1690, when the Irish aristocracy was exiled with their regiments, the Dillon’s took a regiment to France. The Irish got a splendid welcome at the court of Versailles and in due course the Dillon’s as well as the other Norman families, had their ancient French titles restored to them. They entered the service of France en bloc, in the manner of the times, but at first with a strong idea of returning to Ireland and retaking their castles and mansions and restoring the old way of life. The Dillons' main castle, Portlick, is still to be seen near Lough Ree, and it must have been a sore thing to leave such splendors behind.
Dillon’s fought in every country in Europe and in their colonies, many of them dying on foreign battlefields, and perhaps echoing the sentiment ' Oh, that this were for Ireland! '.

A SEARCH IN IRELAND FOR

THE DILLONS

Introduction:
My search started in Galway in January 2000. I was looking for my own immediate family roots. However I discovered the Dillons. They had originated in what became known as “Dillon’s Country” in near Athlone. A trip to the public library there set me on the path. I was soon looking at ruins of their castles, estates, abbeys, monasteries and churches. It was difficult to understand how a family, that had once exercised such influence in the area, could almost disappear. I wondered who had lived in these castles and at the fate of the castles. That mystery motivated my search and eventually resulted in this document This document is based on research of the references listed below and visits to “Dillon’s Country” by my brothers Tedd, Peter and myself.

This paper is written in four parts. Part 1 is about the Dillons in Irish history. I do not pretend to be an expert historian and have not had the opportunity to spend anywhere near the time required to do the required research on the subject. I hope that someone more qualified than me eventually undertakes this task. Thus my work is only a modest start. Part 2 is about the castles, estates, abbeys and other structures the Dillons built in "Dillon's Country". I was able to find many of the structures and succeeded in finding out a little bit about them. Part 3 is about the castles and other structures they built elsewhere in Ireland. I only scratched the surface on this subject. Part 4 outlines future research that should be done and lists the references consulted.

PART 1
THE DILLONS IN IRISH HISTORY

Early History:
What we know about the First Dillon is very uncertain. He is believed to have been Robert Le Dillon or Henry De Lion, depending on which genealogical source you read. Robert Le Dillon, an Anglo-Norman, according to The Dillon Pedigree, a document housed in the former office of the Ulster King of Arms at Dublin Castle. Henry Delion, from Acquitaine, according to Burke’s Peerage. The beginning is further clouded by a legend which claims that the Dillons are descended from Lochan (or Logan) Delion (or Delune), descendent of one of the ancient monarchs of Ireland, who had gone to Acquitaine or Brittany (both now part of France) and married into nobility (15, 56). Lochan Delion's descendants, Henry and Thomas Delion, went to England to join the court of King Henry II. Henry Delion then went to Ireland with Prince John (Son of King Henry II) in 1185 as part of the Anglo-Norman invasion. At this point in time there is no way to prove or disprove the legend and it appears that nobody knows where or when the legend originated.

What is known for certain about the Dillons is that they were Anglo-Normans who came to Ireland and took their land with the sword. Four hundred and fifty years later they lost most of it by the same means.

The Anglo-Normans came to Ireland in the late 1160s. They reached the eastern borders of South Teffia (now part of Co. Westmeath) in 1170 and in the following twenty years penetrated as far as the Shannon. They threw up their early primitive defensive fortresses, the “motte and bailey”(mound of earth approximately 10m high by 30m in diameter and topped with a log palisade), at Rahugh, Castletown-Geoghegan, Horseleap, Moate, Mountemple, Dunamoney, Killare, Drumraney and elsewhere. King Henry II granted Sir Hugh De Lacy the Palatinate of Meath, of which south Teffia was a part. De Lacy and his local barons, the Tuites, Pettits, Ledwiths, Nugents, Herberts, Gaynors, Daltons and Dillons fought to gain possession of the lands of the Irish Chiefs. The Dillons were granted the territory of Machaire Cuircne, which was later to become the barony of Kilkenny West, an area of approximately 21,000 statute acres. In Machaire Cuircne the original Gaelic Irish were completely displaced. The land became known as "Dillon's Country".

According to Hart (15, 56) the First Dillon, whoever he was, built a mansion-house, church and castle at Drumraney and several abbeys (Athlone, Holy Island, etc) and other churches and castles. I suspect that Hart is wrong about the early structures built at Drumraney. The first structure was obviously the motte that is still there (see Drumrany in Part 2 below). I believe that the stone castle, house and many of the other structures would have followed later in time. They were more likely built during the time of the Henry Dillon, three generations later.

Medieval History:
The Dillons, like many other Anglo-Norman families, became gaelicised and very independent in the century following their arrival in Ireland. They spoke the Irish language, adopted Irish dress and customs and inter-married with the Gaelic families about them. The fact that they were of the same religion as the natives, helped in their absorption, and the only remaining difference between them and the natives, was that they professed a sense of loyalty to the English monarch. It would appear that they considered themselves a law unto themselves. A report, which the Irish council sent to England, in 1399, specifically named the Daltons and Dillons as ‘rebels…who will not obey the law or submit to justice but destroy the poor liege people of the land and take their living from them and rob them’. Another source referred to them as “Stout Robbers”.

However throughout this period the Dillons, like the other Anglo-Normans, supported the English monarch against both Gaelic Irish and other opponents. A Scots army invaded Ireland in 1315 the year after Robert the Bruce’s victory over the English at Bannockburn. Edward Bruce, Robert's brother, led the army. Edward’s mission was to punish the Anglo-Normans for supporting the English in Scotland and to draw English military resources to Ireland and away from Scotland. Edward Bruce swept down from the north and took most of Middle Ireland (including Co. Westmeath) but failed to take Dublin due to a lack of siege equipment. He spent the winter of 1315 quartered in Ballymore, a few kilometers east of Dillon’s country. It was likely a difficult winter for the Dillons with raids and attacks on their castles. The rampant pillaging and destruction of Middle Ireland by Bruce's army caused a severe famine for over three years. Bruce was defeated and killed by an Anglo-Norman force led by John De Bermingham in 1318. This force would have included the Dillons. Bruce's defeat ended the threat to Anglo-Norman interests in Ireland.

As a result of becoming gaelicised the Dillons were able to hold onto their lands in the 14th century when Anglo-Norman power waned and other families who had not adapted lost everything. As an example of how completely they had adopted Gaelic customs the head of the family became virtually king of Cuircne, with a Gaelic title “An Diolmhuineach”, which signifies “The Dillon” (chieftain of the clan). An instance of this is at 1511 in the Annals of the Four Masters, an important document about the Gaelic history of Ireland. In addition a “tanist” (deputy chieftain of a Gaelic Irish clan) of Dillon’s country was mentioned in 1559. A statute made in the Irish Parliament, in 1542 created the county of Westmeath. The statute included “Dillons Countrey, named Maghirquirke, made and named the baroine or hundred of Kilkenny west”.

Tudor and Stuart Eras:
Henry VIII became king of England in 1509. Previous kings had been known as "Lord of Ireland" but Henry wished to be "King of England and Ireland". He began to impose English authority, law and customs and to "plant" loyal English subjects on Irish land. The English authorities in the “Pale” (English controlled area centered on Dublin) were eager to re-impose their authority, customs and language on the “Old English” or Anglo-Norman families such as the Dillons.

According to Murtagh in Reference 12 the first successful step in the re-Anglicization of the Dillons occurred in 1574. The process was implemented through a cadet branch of the family, with legal and administrative links to Dublin. This branch had never become gaelicised and had retained English language and customs. Sir Robert Dillon of Newtown (see Moymet Castle in Part 3), Co. Meath, chief justice of the common pleas, and his son, Sir Lucas, chief baron of the exchequer, was from this branch of the family. They were commissioned to rate and set out “Dillon’s Country” into ploughlands for the levying of subsidy under a royal statute. Four years later on 13 March 1578 the ascendancy of this branch of the family was confirmed when Sir Lucas was made Seneschal of Kilkenny West in succession to his father. This position gave Sir Lucas, and his male heirs, authority over the Dillons together with a lease of properties, which included the Franciscan abbey in Athlone and various rectories in the area. It also made them responsible for the actions of the Family. Sir Lucas’s son James was knighted in 1600 raised to the peerage as baron of Kilkenny West in 1619 and Earl of Roscommon in 1622. I presume that the concept of a Dillon chieftain would have ended at this time.

During this era the Dillons were rewarded for their loyalty with many high government offices and were often granted the lands of their outlawed neighbours (21, 39). The land grants in the Longford plantation of 1622 brought severe censure from the natives. Robert Dillon of Cannerstown near Athlone, who was a member of the Plantation Commission, awarded himself four large cartons of land in Co. Longford. Hubert Dillon of Killininy (see Killininey Castle in Part 2) was also granted a similar amount of land. He traded some of it with his kinsman Robert. In another series of grants during the decade preceding 1641 Hubert received many additional land grants in Co. Westmeath.

By the early 1600s the inhabitants of Kilkenny West were mostly Dillons. However starting much earlier various Dillons had moved out of “Dillon’s Country” into other parts of Ireland. A branch of the Dillons purchased Clonbrok Castle (see Part 2 below) from the O’Connors in 1575. It is likely that Currahboy Castle (see Part 2 below) was acquired by similar means about this time although I have no proof of this. A Thomas Dillon served as Chief Justice of Connaught in the 1590s. Theobald Dillon set up firm English governmental structures in Co. Mayo in the mid 1580s (11).

Theobald Dillon became collector of composition rents in Connacht and managed to acquire ownership of the entire barony of Costello by exploiting features of the Gaelic and English legal systems. He was politically strong enough to make accusations against the president of Connacht, Sir Richard Bingham, in 1587. Theobald was ennobled as the 1st Viscount Dillon of Costello-Gallen. He may have been the agency through which the Franciscan abbey on Friars Island was established. He had eight sons. Two sons became Franciscan priests. The younger of the two, George, became guardian at the Franciscan abbey in Athlone in 1629. His daughter, Cecily, became abbess of Bethlehem convent. She died on the way to Spain after the convent was destroyed in 1642.

The junior branches of the Family were numerous; among them being the Earls of Roscommon, Viscounts Dillon, and Lords Clonbrock, besides many others. In 1598 the “chief gentlemen’ of the Westmeath area, according to Brewer (1826), included the Dillons of Ardnagrath, the Dillons of Waterstown and the Dillons of Cannerstown. The list is very incomplete and does not include any mention of the Dillons of Benown, the Dillons of Portlick or the Dillons of Dorrington plus many others. By 1641 various Dillons were landowners in South Roscommon.

During the Desmond revolts of the 1570s and 1580s the Dillons remained loyal to the English crown. As a result they were the targets of attacks by the Fitzgerald rebels and their allies. The famous rebel leader James Fitzmaurice Fitzgerald attacked Athlone and the surrounding area in 1572. During this attack he raided Westmeath and the fires could be seen burning from Athlone. It is likely that “Dillon’s Country” was severely ravished during this event.

During the Nine Years War of the 1590s and early 1600s the Dillons remained loyal to the English King. As a result they were the targets of attacks by Hugh O’Neill, the famous Irish rebel, and his allies. In January of 1600 O’Neill made his first military expedition to Munster. Along the way he ‘spitefully and maliciously’ burned and spoiled “Dillon’s Country”. He advanced to within four miles of Athlone with a force of 1,500 men. Access to Athlone, for O’Neill’s enemies, was very difficult and the only safe route was by water to two of Theobald Dillon’s castles on Lough Ree (likely Portlick, Killinure or Benown castle - see Part 2).

The 1641 - 1652 Rebellion Era:
In 1641 the Irish rebelled against the English King, Charles I. The rebellion was the start of a long and bloody war referred to in Irish history as "The Confederate War". Up to this point in their history the Dillons had been loyal to the English King. As a result they not only survived in these turbulent times but also profited greatly. The 1641 rebellion was the first time they changed their strategy and they paid dearly for their choice. The account of the rebellion and war below is based primarily on Harmon Murtagh's work in Reference 12 and Liam Cox's work in Reference 21.

The rebellion started in Ulster with the Gaelic Irish. They sensed that the English king was preoccupied with his parliament and unable to effectively respond in Ireland. The revolt spread quickly and many of the “Old English” joined on the rebel side. Several branches of the Dillon family stayed with the King, most notably that of Sir Thomas, 4th Viscount Dillon, who was a protestant. However the majority sided with the rebels.

The revolt was slow to start in Westmeath but Sir James Dillon soon evolved as the principal rebel commander in the area. He was the eighth and youngest son of Thomas, Viscount Dillon. Sir James had served in Flanders, under the famous Irish general Owen Roe O’Neill, prior to returning to Ireland in 1636. He was an MP and an officer in the army raised in Ireland for King Charles I. He was appointed a colonel in the Lienster division of the Irish Confederate army when the Dillons joined the rebellion. O’Neill held Sir James’s military abilities in low regard and considered him more of a courtier than a soldier (the following is an account of their meeting in 1643 - "Sir James war is an ugly coarse kind of work. I think glory awaits you in withdrawing rooms rather than in the rough life of the camp" (21, 49).

Sir James laid siege to Athlone over the period 1642 – 1643. He was partially successful in that the side of the town on the east bank of the Shannon River was taken. The castle was never taken but the royalist defenders were reduced to starvation. Their attempts to break out resulted in disaster at the hands of rebels lurking in the countryside. The siege was eventually lifted in 1642. The royalists occupied many Dillon castles in the area and burned Bethlehem convent. However the royalists were attacked in the countryside and as a result they burned several Dillon castles (Portlick and Killinure (12) and possibly Kilfaughny by other accounts - see Part 2) and withdrew into the town.

Sir James Dillon made another attempt take the town but again succeeded in only taking the East Side. The town was ruinous by the fall of 1643. In 1644 Thomas, Fourth Viscount Dillon of Costello-Gallen and nephew of Sir James, became president of Connacht and defender of Athlone for the royalists. He was a protestant and a committed royalist. However his property and connections in “Dillon’s Country” and Connacht offered the hope of generating regional support to the royalist cause in Ireland. Thomas Dillon had numerous relatives amongst his enemies, including his uncles, Father George Dillon, and Sir James Dillon. All three were involved in a complicated struggle for Athlone, which involved intrigue, fighting and politics. The struggle included Captain James Dillon, son of Thomas, and others. An agent of Owen Roe O’Neill, commander of the Ulster rebel army, took the castle from under their noses.

Several months later O’Neill arrived and drove Sir James Dillon’s forces out to the town. O’Neill spent several weeks in the area of Baskneagh in Co. Westmeath where he “settled some longstanding differences with the Dillon Family” (how the differences were settled was not explained) (13). Apparently he threatened "Dillon's Country" to force the release of a prisoner held by Sir James Dillon (21, 159). O'Neill took a Richard Dillon, of Low Baskin, as hostage as part of the deal. A Faghny Farrell of Newtown paid the ransom but the Dillons refused to reimburse Farrell. As a result O'Neill captured Henry Dillon of Ballycloghduff and gave him to Farrell to encourage repayment of the debt (21, 163).

Viscount Dillon became a catholic again (only for the castle of Athlone according to some sources) (21, 51), joined his relatives against the royalists and was reinstated as governor in the castle. In 1645 and Irish rebel force led by Sir James Dillon was defeated near Ballysadare, Co. Sligo. Amongst the prisoners taken was captain Garret Dillon son of Sir Lucas Dillon of Loughglynn, Co. Roscommon (21, 50).

The war saw a considerable amount of political turmoil. Sir James Dillon and 500 of his men joined the royalist side in 1646 (19, 235). Sir James went on to become deputy commander of the rebel Irish forces in the fateful battle of Rathmines in 1651. After the rebel defeat he retreated west. Many of his kinsmen, including a namesake commanding a force of 200 infantry, were to perish in the siege of Drogheda at the hands of Cromwell in 1649. In the spring of 1651 parliamentarian forces overran Westmeath placing garrisons wherever they pleased. A meeting was held on Hare Island, near Athlone, between Viscount Dillon, his uncles Sir Lucas and Sir James and others to discuss the surrender of Athlone (21, 165). Sir James surrendered Athlone in June. Sir Lucas surrendered Friar's Island a short time later (21, 166). Sir James and Thomas, Viscount Dillon, surrendered at Mullingar in May 1652.

Sir James Dillon went on after the surrender to serve in the armies of France and Spain (21, 169). After the restoration of Charles II Sir James was granted a pension of 500 pounds a year. I do not know if he recovered any of his estates. He died in 1667 in London, England. Thomas, Viscount Dillon, and his family retired to Hare Island after the general surrender. They found it difficult to survive. Lady Dillon was arrested over her involvement in an attempt to recapture Athlone castle. The son of Sir Lucas was taken prisoner in the failed attempt. As a result of this activity Viscount Dillon lost his estate and retired to Flanders until the restoration of Charles II. In 1663 his estates were restored. He died in about 1672.

The Dillons who had joined the Irish cause suffered heavily in the Cromwellian confiscations with followed the war, at least fifteen members being transplanted to Connaught. At the restoration of King Charles II the Cromwellian land settlement was not significantly altered in the case of the Dillons. The Duke of Ormonde, a Protestant and staunch royalist during the Confederate war, selected those who would have their lands restored. The Dillons had been amongst his enemies during the war and were clearly out of favour. The Dillon Earl of Roscommon was granted a small land holding but few others had their land returned. A partial list of those dispossessed, based on Reference 14, is as follows (original spelling):

Co. Roscommon
• Sir Lucas Dillon, Knight, Deceased, the heire adjudged Inocent
• Thomas Dillon of Brakloone
• Henry Dillon & his son Robert of Belnumulla (now Strokestown)

Co. Westmeath
• John Dillon of Streamstowne
• Robert Dillon of Cannerstowne
• Richard Dillon of Ardnegragh
• Gerrald Dillon of Portlicke
• Henry Dillon of Drumrany
• Morris Dillon of Lisdossan
• Talbott Dillon of Kilcornan

King William's War Era:
The major European war, which ended the 17th century, was known in Ireland as "King William's War" or the "Williamite War". Although the campaign in Ireland involved forces from nine countries it was a mere sideshow in the overall war. However it had a major impact on the course of events in Ireland and the outcome still influences politics in Northern Ireland to this day. The Dillons were firmly on the Irish or "Jacobite" side and they, like the other Irish, suffered when the war ended in defeat. Two of the major battles, the siege of Athlone and the battle of Aughrim, were fought near "Dillon's Country".

The Dillons were prominent in the Irish army. A Col. Henry Dillon sat in the Parliament of King James II in 1689. Theobald, 7th Viscount Dillon, served in the Irish army and died in the battle of Aughrim. Many other Dillons served as well. King William's army, led by General Ginkle, marched through Dillon's Country on its way to lay siege to Athlone in June 1691. It is quite possible that the castles and estates suffered damage as the army passed.

The Dillons fought with King James to the end. Many of them were among the ‘Wild Geese’ that fled to Europe after the Treaty of Limerick. Some went into business in Europe and many others served in various Continental armies. Some rose to high ranks in these armies. There was a Dillon’s Regiment in the French army’s Irish brigade for almost 100 years. The commander of the regiment was always a Dillon and over time they became aristocrats and acquired the titles such as Count Dillon. The last commander, Arthur Dillon, was guillotined in 1794 during the revolution. Several branches of the family still reside in France.

End of the Ascendancy Era:
Although the main line died out in Ireland, descendants of the early Dillons are still numerous in South Westmeath. Others emigrated to the United States, Canada, Australia and elsewhere. According to the Dillon Pedigree Harold Arthur Lee-Dillon, Viscount Costello-Gallen, in May of 1899 sold to the "Congested Districts Board" in Ireland, the then remaining portions of the Irish family estates, situated in the counties of Mayo, Roscommon and Westmeath. The latter had been in continuous possession of the Dillon family since the coming into Ireland in 1185 of the First Dillon and which had been confirmed by charter in 1343 to Sir Henry Dillon (great grandson of the First Dillon) as tenant-in-chief of the Crown.

PART 2
DILLON'S COUNTRY

Castles and Estates in "Dillon's Country"
Of the many castles originally built by the Dillons only Portlick is still standing. Portlick castle, in the heart of “Dillon’s Country”, has been occupied from its foundation to the present day. Little or nothing remains of any of the others. I had hoped to determine what happened to the castles and estates which are now in ruin. I had limited success. However I believe that the answer lies in the destruction that during and after the 1641 - 1652 War and again during King William's war.

During the 1641 Rebellion many Dillons joined the Gaelic Irish in attempting to end English rule. The Irish rebels attempted, without success, to take the town of Athlone from the English. The Irish controlled the countryside in the area and the English held Athlone. As detailed below in the story of various castles the English attempts to flee the town or to extend their control beyond the town walls met with resistance. However, the siege ended when James Butler, Earl of Ormonde, led forces loyal to the English into the area. Ormonde burned the towns of Mullingar and Ballymore and then marched on to Athlone capturing “Dillon’s Country” along the way. Possibly some of the castles were destroyed at this point in time in order to pay back the Dillons for rebelling and to prevent the use of the castles by the rebels in the future. Others were certainly destroyed in 1652 after the surrender of the Irish army.

During King William’s War “Dillon’s Country” was astride the route used by King William’s army as it pursued the retreating Irish army across Ireland in 1691. The major battles included the siege of Athlone. King William’s army overran “Dillon’s Country” during the lead up to this battle. Again some castles may have been destroyed for the same reasons as outlined above because the Dillons were prominent in the Irish army.

Ardnacrany Monastery. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 41 - Grid reference 164528 (unconfirmed location). In Irish “Ard na crannaighe” which means, “wooded place”. Robert Dillon, Lord of Drumraney founded this Carmelite monastery, about 1350. He was Constable of Athlone castle. Because of the influence of the Dillons the monastery was not disturbed during the suppression under Henry VIII. It remained unmolested until the reign of Elizabeth I. Some Dillon families, including the Earls of Roscommon, were buried here where their monuments and a gable of an ancient church remain. I visited the ruins in December 2000.

Ardnagragh Castle. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 48 - Grid reference 142480. In Irish “Ard na greadh” means “Height of the Stud of Horses”. In 1558 the castle was seized and held unlawfully by Gerald, son of Oliver Fitzgerald of Bellagh at Ballymore (approximately 5 km east of the castle), against it’s owner James Dillon and the authority of Thomas Dillon, Lord of Kilkenny West. In May 1558 the Dillons complained to the Lord Deputy and Council in Dublin who ordered and decreed that the Earl of Kildare should immediately restore possession of the castle to the complainants “quietly and peaceably to enjoy the same according to their former estate”. In a Crown grant to Robert Dillon of Cannerstown (see Cannorstown Estate), dated 27 May 1613, was Ardnegreagh, containing a castle, a bawn (a walled enclosure surrounding the castle and grounds), 40 houses and two plowlands (Irish Patent Rolls, James I). The last Dillon owner, Richard Dillon, was transplanted from Ardnagragh in the Cromwell period. I have so far been unable to determine what happened to the castle after this point in time. I have not yet visited the site.

Annagh Castle. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 40 - Grid reference 107550 (location unconfirmed). In Irish “Eannach” which means “swampy ground”. In a Crown grant to Robert Dillon of Cannerstown (see Cannorstown Estate), dated 27 May 1613, was Annagh containing a castle, 22 houses, an orchard and two plowlands (Irish Patent Rolls, James I). Bartholomew Dillon was transplanted from Annagh by Cromwell (10). He was granted 316 acres in the barony of Costello in Co. Mayo. There is no trace of the castle now. I have not been able to uncover any additional history related to the castle and have not yet visited the site.

Ballycloghduff Castle. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 48 - Grid reference 177433 (location unconfirmed). The ruins of the house are at the same location. In Irish “Baile clogh dubh” which means “Townland of the Black Stones”. In a Crown grant to Robert Dillon of Cannerstown (see Cannorstown Estate), dated 27 May 1613, was Beallanecloghduffe (now Ballycloghduff), containing a castle, a bawn, 30 houses, a watermill and half of a plowland (Irish Patent Rolls, James I). The estate was owned by Gerald Dillon in 1737. His son, Walter, changed the name of the estate to “Dillonsbrook” shortly thereafter. The old castle had been abandoned by this point in time. The last Dillon of Ballycloghduff was Elizabeth Dillon who died in 1773. I have not been able to uncover any additional history related to the castle and have not yet visited the site.

Ballynacliffy Castle. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 40 - Grid reference 084528. Built by the D’Altons in 1401 (21, 43). A Dillon castles at some point in history (1). The lands were in the estate of Sir Lucas Dillon (5) in the early 1600s. In 1641 it belonged to the Fitzgeralds (21, 43). It is possible that the castle was built by the Daltons and acquired by the Dillons later in time and then passed to the Fitzgeralds in marriage. The Dillons and Fitzgeralds in the area had intermarried. The following account of an event during the Confederate War was given in both References 5, 7 and 10. After the siege of Athlone was lifted, in June 1642, the English stationed troops in various castles in the area. Two companies (somewhere between 60 (21, 43) and 300 (5) men depending on which reference you read) of English troops were quartered at Ballynacliffy castle. They were under the command of a Captain Francis Bertie. The English troops left the castle and marched to Bethlehem convent (See Bethlehem below). Apparently after looting and burning the convent they returned to the castle only to find it vacated by its Irish owners. The English troops looted the castle and became drunk on the ample supply of alcohol left behind by the owners. A force of “six score” of Irish, under an Oliver Fitzgerald, attacked and killed all but a few of the unwary English including Captain Bertie. The Royalists returned to garrison the castle later in 1642 when the Earl of Ormonde ended the siege of Athlone. I have not been able to uncover any additional history related to the castle. However it may have destroyed by the royalists, in retaliation for their defeat, when they returned to Athlone later in 1642. If it survived then it was likely destroyed by Cromwell’s forces after the general surrender in 1652. I visited the site in January 2000. The castle is now a total ruin with just the foundation still standing.

Ballynakill Castle. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 47 - Grid reference 084496. Included in the list of Dillon castles in Reference 1. Reference 3 states that Theobald, 1st Viscount Dillon, was the son of Thomas Dillon of Ballynakill. Theobald died, at a great age, in 1642. I have not been able to uncover any additional history related to the castle. However it was most likely destroyed by the royalists or by Cromwell’s forces during or at the end of the Confederate War. I visited the site in January 2000. The castle is now a total ruin with only one wall still standing.

Baskin Castles and Estates. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 48 - Grid reference 179489 (Baskin Low castle) and 187482 (Baskin High castle). In Irish “Baiscinn” meaning “a place of trees”. Now two townlands, Baskin High and Baskin Low. Formerly there was a Middle Baskin as well. Reference 2 mentions a William Dillon (10th generation), Maurice Dillon (11th generation) and John (11th generation) of Low Baskin. In Robert Dillon’s grant of 27 May 1613 was the lower or nether Baskin containing a castle, a bawn, 20 houses, 20 gardens and one plowland. Piers, in his account of Westmeath of 1682, says “sixteen resolute blades” left Athlone at night in the spring of 1642 “with their arms in their hands” in an attempt to reach Dublin but they only got as far as Low Baskin where they were attacked by a group of Irish led by a young Dillon (21, 46) and “miserably butchered”. In 1648 the Irish General O'Neill took Richard Dillon, of Low Baskin, as a hostage in a deal to end the threat to "Dillon's Country". There is no indication of castles on the current map however the ruins are on the archeological map for the area. I have not yet been able to uncover any additional history related to the castles. However they were most likely destroyed by the royalists or by Cromwell’s forces during or at the end of the Confederate War. I visited the sites in December 2000. There are some ruins, possibly of an old house, at Baskin Low but nothing remains at Baskin High.

Bethlehem Convent. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 40 - Grid reference 085546. Built in 1631 on lands given to the Poor Clare Sisters by Sir Lucas Dillon or possibly by the Fitzgeralds of Bellogh (21, 40). The Dillons were intermarried with the Fitzgeralds (Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Theobald Dillon, 1st Viscount, was married to Thomas Fitzgerald). The first Mother Abbess at Bethlehem was Sister Mary Eleanor Dillon, 24 year old daughter of Sir Theobald Dillon, 1st Viscount Dillon, of Kilfaughny (See Kilfaughny Castle below). She was succeeded by her sister Cicely Dillon. The convent was burned by the English during the “Confederate War” in 1641 (See Ballynacliffy Castle above). The nuns fled, prior to the burning, to Athlone and then to Spain. Cicely Dillon died on the way to Spain and was buried there with full ceremonial. Two of the other nuns soon died in Spain. Some of the others eventually ended up in Dieppe. The sole survivor, Sister Isabella of St Joseph Dillon eventually returned to Ireland. As late as 1696 two nuns of the original community were still alive in Ireland. I visited the site in January 2000. The ruins have been stabilized as a monument to the order.

Benown Castle. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 47 - Grid reference 083477. Also referred to as Benaun or Bunown. In Irish “Bun abhann” which means “river mouth”. On 19 July 1608 one and a quarter cartons of land in Bunown was granted by the Crown to Sir Theobald Dillon. At the outbreak of the rebellion in 1641 Bunown townland was owned by Pierce and Thomas Dillon. Prior to Cromwell the lands held were 871 acres. After Cromwell the holdings were 561 acres. In the Cromwellian confiscations the estate were, with others such as the Waterstown Estate, granted to William Handcock. The lands were never returned to the Dillons after the restoration of Charles II. A mansion known as “Benown House” or “Harmony Hall” was built nearby in 1790. The castle was occupied up until sometime in the 1800s according to Reference 6. I visited the site in January 2000. It is now a total ruin with only the first story still standing.

Benown Church. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 47 - Grid reference 077467. In the churchyard there are three monuments, one having on it the Dillon coat of arms, erected in memory of various Dillons who were buried there over the period 1770 to 1860. The church was in use up until at least 1790 and probably for many years thereafter. I visited the ruins in December 2000.

Borves Castle. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Barrony on Kilkenny West (exact location unknown). In a Crown grant to Robert Dillon of Cannerstown (see Cannorstown Estate), dated 27 May 1613, was Borves in Kilkenny, containing 20 houses, a castle and a plowland (Irish Patent Rolls, James I). I have not been able to uncover any additional history related to the castle and have not yet located the site. It is not indicated on the archeological map.

Bryanmore Castle. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 48 - Grid reference 154455 (location unconfirmed). There is no indication of a castle on the archeological map but the ruins of a ring fort are indicated at the same location. The castle is in the list of Dillon castles in Reference 1. In a Crown grant to Robert Dillon of Cannerstown (see Cannorstown Estate), dated 27 May 1613, was Bryanmore, containing 10 houses and half of four cartons of land (Irish Patent Rolls, James I). Presumably he was not granted the castle as it is not mentioned. A considerable portion of the castle was still standing up until approximately 1800. By 1837 they were described as a “formless mass of ruins”. There is no indication of a castle on the current map. I have not been able to uncover any additional history related to the castle and have not yet visited the site.

Cannorstown Castle. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 40 - Grid reference 111517. Only the site of the castle remains as the ruins are now gone. In 1598 the “chief gentlemen” of the area included the Dillons of Cannerstown. In May 1613 Robert Dillon, of Cannerstown, was granted many castles and estates in the surrounding area by James I. The grant included much of Cannorstown including a castle, 20 houses, a mill and one plowland. There is no indication of a castle on the current map. I have not been able to uncover any additional history related to the castle and have not yet visited the site.

Carrick Castle. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 40 - Grid reference 118525 (location presumed). There is no indication of a castle on the Ordnance Survey map or the archeological map. In a Crown grant to Robert Dillon of Cannerstown (see Cannorstown Estate), dated 27 May 1613, was Carrick near Annagh, containing 12 houses, a castle, a watermill and a plowland (Irish Patent Rolls, James I). I have not been able to uncover any additional history related to the castle and have not yet found the site.

Dorrington Estate. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 48 - Grid reference 139461. Listed as a Dillon estate. According to archeological records there never was a castle on the site. According to Reference 6 the estate belonged to the Hackat family in the 18th and early 19th centuries. I have not been able to uncover any additional history related to the castle and have not yet visited the site.

Drumraney Castle. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 48 - Grid reference 171484. In Irish “Druim Ratha” meaning “The Ridge of the Fort”. The place was the site of an early Christian monastery possibly dating from the 6th century. It survived until the coming of the Anglo-Norman Dillons. It occupied the site of the old churchyard of Drumraney (east of the present church). Across the road is the site of the original Norman motte (see Drumraney Motte below). According to Hart the First Dillon built a castle, church, mansion house and several abbeys in the area. What is known about history is that the first structures built by the Normans were mottes, not stone castles. Thus it is unlikely that the First Dillon built these things. It is more likely that the Henry Dillon of the 4th generation built them. I am not sure where the stone castle was as it is not on the archeological map. It is possible that it was on the site of the old cemetery and that the ruins have been completely removed since the 1600s. According to Reference 1 the First Dillon was buried in a Franciscan Abbey, of his founding, in Athlone (the abbey is now completely gone). Other references state that the abbey was built by Sir Henry Dillon (4th generation). This Sir Henry Dillon owned the castle in 1343. He was the same Henry Dillon who had a grant, from the King, of the manor of Kilkenny-West dated 15 May 1343. Drumraney castle was surrendered to the King’s representative, Bingham, in 1346 but was returned to the Dillons sometime thereafter. The Crown grant to Robert Dillon of Cannerstown (see Cannorstown Estate) of 27 May 1613 included “Dromrany” containing a castle, a bawn, 30 houses and 7 cartons (old measure of land) of land. The estate was confiscated by Cromwell and never returned to the Dillons. John Stevens, an Englishman, served as vicar of the church from 1665 to 1682. The owners of this castle, based on Hart's genealogy (15, 56) are as follows:

• The First Dillon - Sir Henry Delion or Sir Robert Le Dillon
• Sir Thomas, son of the First Dillon.
• Henry, son of Sir Thomas and brother to Thomas, bishop of Ossory (15, 56).
• Sir Henry, second son of Sir Henry; was living in Drumraney when Edward III granted him, by patent the custody of the manor of Kilkenny West, forfeited by Hugh De Lacy.
• Robert, son of Sir Henry. The first to be called “Lord of Drumrany” in the Dillon Pedigree. His son Thomas was bishop of Kildare and his brother Robert was Abbot of St. Thomas, near Dublin.
• Gerald, second son of Sir Robert, married a daughter of the Earl of Desmond; had four sons and two daughters, namely — I, Sir Maurice, his heir; 2, Henry a priest; 3, Sir James, ancestor of the Earls of Roscommon and the Barons of Clonbruck; 4, John; 5, Catherine; 6, Anne.
• Maurice, eldest son of Gerald, married Lady Anne Fitzgerald, of the House of Desmond.
• Thomas, son of Sir Maurice, married Jane, daughter of Sir Robert Dillon, Irish Attorney-General to King Henry VIII.
• Edmond, son of Thomas, married, first Ann, daughter of the Baron of Mullingar and by her had Gerald, his heir, and other children; married secondly a daughter of Sir C. Plunkett and by her had one son, Gerald of Dunimoney, ancestor to the Viscounts Dillon. Edmond died in 1490 and was referred to by the Four Masters as Lord of Machaire Cuircne.
• Gerald, Lord of Drumraney, 3rd son of Edmund by his first marriage.
• Sir Thomas, second son of Sir Gerald, was knighted, married Rose, daughter of Thomas Dillon Esq., and sister to the first Viscount Dillon.
• Gerald, Lord of Drumraney, 2nd son of Sir Thomas.
• James, second son of Sir Gerald, represented County Roscommon in the Parliament of King Charles I and was captain of an independent troop, but was killed in 1649 or 1650, in his 34th year (A Sir James Dillon, commanding an infantry regiment of 200 men, was amongst those massacred by Cromwell at the siege of Drogheda in 1649. This could be the same man).
• Richard, fourth son of Sir James, was the last who bore the title of Lord of Drumraney, his estates being confiscated by Cromwell. He married Rose Dillon of Dunamona. He was transplanted to Dillon’s Grove, Co. Roscommon (see Dillon’s Grove).
• Gerald Dillon Esq., son of Richard, was alive after 1743 (15, 58). This finished the male line of Drumraney, but the female line continued in the families of O’Connor of Miltown, Co. Roscommon and Purcells of Kilkenny and the descendants were traceable down to the year 1883.
Drumraney Motte. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 48 - Grid reference 171484. All that remains of the first structure built in Ireland by the Dillons. The wooden fort, which once stood on top of the hill, is long gone. At some point in time, probably during the 1200s, the Dillons abandoned the motte and built a stone castle. The hill has stood for all these years as a monument to the first Dillons in Ireland. It is a must see for any Dillon.

Dunnamona Castle. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 48 - Grid reference 147497. In Irish “Dun na mona” means “royal fort”. The castle is not on the ordnance survey map. However it is on the archeological survey for the area. The original motte is still standing and is all that remains. The First Dillon built it sometime after he built the Motte at Drumraney. The First Dillon granted the Seigniory of Dunimoney, to his second son Sir Robert. Old Irish records (On Innse edn. of Rawlinson B.) record that “in 1393 Edmund and Thomas D’Alton were killed in Breaghmhuine (by Dillons?) – a sad event” and that Maurice Dillon was killed by the D’Altons between his two castles “Dun na Mona and Druim Raithne (Drumraney) – a sad event”. Later the same year the two castles were seized by the D’Altons. Presumably they were returned to the Dillons sometime thereafter. Gerald of Dunimoney, second son of Edmund Dillon (9th generation) of Drumraney was the ancestor to the Viscounts Dillon. The crown grant to Robert Dillon of Cannerstown (see Cannorstown Estate) in 1613 included in Downemony a bawn, 12 houses, two orchards and two cartons of land (possibly the castle was a ruin by then). According to Reference 10 a Garrett Dillon was transplanted from “Doonamona” by Cromwell. He was granted 111 acres in the barony of Costello in Co. Mayo. I have not been able to uncover any additional history related to the castle.

Dunnamona Motte. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 48 - Grid reference 147497. All that remains of the second structure built in Ireland by the Dillons. The wooden fort, which once stood on top of the hill, is long gone. At some point in time, probably during the 1200s, the Dillons abandoned the motte and built a stone castle. The hill has stood, like the hill at Drumraney, for all these years as a monument to the first Dillons in Ireland. It too is a must see for any Dillon. The view of the surrounding country is magnificent.

Gaybrook Castle. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 48 - Grid reference 134464. I have not been able to uncover any history related to the castle. I suspect it may have been known by a different name at one point in time. I visited the castle in January 2000. It is now a total ruin completely covered in bushes and difficult to see.

Hare Island Church. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 47 - Grid reference 047468. The ancient Gaelic name for the island was “Inis Ainghin”. The Dillons used the churchyard as a burial ground and many lords of the family are said to have been buried there. In 1650 the island was purchased by Ridgley Hatfield who was MP for Athlone. From him it descended to the Hacketts and eventually Lord Castlemaine. Viscount Dillon and his family retired to Hare Island after the surrender of 1652. They found it difficult to survive. Lady Dillon was arrested in 1661 over her involvement in and attempt to recapture Athlone castle. As a result of this Viscount Dillon lost his estate and retired to Flanders until the restoration of Charles II.

Kilcornan Castle. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 48 - Grid reference 163499 (presumed location). The Kilcornan was an important Dillon seat from at least the beginning of the 15th century. In a Crown grant to Robert Dillon of Cannerstown (see Cannorstown Estate), dated 27 May 1613, was Killcornan, containing a castle, 20 houses and one plowland (Irish Patent Rolls, James I). After the dispossession of the Irish in the 17th century the Kilcornan Dillons left Ireland and became merchants and bankers on the Continent, while others became officers in the service of France. The head of the family in 1958 was Count Dillon of Pavie at Gers in France (Reference 6). I have not yet been able to uncover any additional history related to the castle nor have I found the site.

Kilfaughny Castle. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 40 - Grid reference 095505. Included in the list of Dillon castles in Reference 1. During the 17th century the home of Sir Theobald, 1st Viscount Dillon. The crown grant to Robert Dillon of Cannerstown (see Cannorstown Estate) in 1613 included a one and a half cartons of land and 12 houses at Kilfaughny. Garrisoned by Sir James Dillon in 1642 after the Irish rebel forces were forced to lift their siege of Athlone. According to one story the castle was destroyed by Cromwell’s troops, probably in 1652. One of the last Viscount Dillons to live here was Lucas, 6th Viscount, who died in 1682. I visited the castle in January 2000. It is now a total ruin with just one partial wall still standing.

Killinure Castle. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 47 - Grid reference 066472. (location unconfirmed) In Irish “Coill an iubhair” which means “Wood of the Yew”. There are two townlands, Killinure North and Killinure South. The Franciscan convent of Athlone was re-established at Killinure in 1626 (21, 39). The castle was the home of Theobald 1st Viscount Dillon and his first wife Ellinor. She died on 8 April 1638 and was buried in the Abbey of Saint Francis in Athlone (21, 41). It was in their house that the Four Masters compiled the Genealogiae Regum et Sanctorum Hiberniae in 1630. The house was used to accommodate the Franciscan friars who were forced to leave Athlone during the persecutions of the 17th century. It belonged to Sir James Dillon, Colonel in the Irish rebel army, in the 1640s. Occupied by Royalist troops in 1642 during the early stages of the Irish rebellion. Garrisoned by Sir James Dillon in 1642 after the Irish rebel forces were forced to lift their siege of Athlone. Believed to have been burned after the Royalist defeat at Ballynacliffy castle. I have not been able to uncover any additional history related to the castle. I believe that the modern golf clubhouse may occupy the site.

Kilkenny West Abbey, Church and Hospital. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 48 - Grid reference 124478 (Abbey) and 123488 (Church). In Irish “Cill Chainnigh Thiar” meaning “the Church of Saint Cainnech”. It was originally the site of an early Christian monastery dating from about 520. The site was appropriated by the Normans. Sometime in the 1200s Thomas Dillon, great great grandson of the First Dillon, founded an abbey for a branch of the Canons Regular of Saint Augustine. He is believed to have be buried there. He also built a hospital, The House of St. John the Baptist – a Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem, which operated until the suppression of religious houses by Henry VIII. In 1362 Hugh O’Connor burned the church down while on his way to fight the English in Co. Meath. In 1537 the Crown Commissioner for the closing of the monasteries, Sir Thomas Cusak, reported that the Prior, James Dillon, was the only occupant of the monastery and that he was a “very traitor”. On 25 July 1544 John Wakely, merchant, got a government lease for 21 years for the hospital. In 1682 Piers reported that there were “some reliques of an abbey or monastery…. And that the church was in good repair”. At what point in time the church became Protestant and at what point it became a ruin is uncertain. The present church was built in 1839 with the stones from the ruin of the old church. The abbey is now a total ruin, is not on the Ordnance Survey map but is located immediately east of the churchyard wall.

Kilkenny West Castle. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 48 - Grid reference 123488. In Irish “Cill Chainnigh Thiar” meaning “the Church of Saint Cainnech”. There seems to be some disagreement between genealogical sources as to the original owner. According to one source Thomas Le Dillon (2nd generation) settled in Kilkenny-West. Other records state that Edward III granted the castle to Sir Henry Dillon of Drumrany, after a falling out with the owner Hugh De Lacy. The grant was dated 15 May 1343. It included the King’s weires and fisheries in Athlone. The name Kilkenny West was chosen for the barony because it was the chief castle of the lord of the district who in 1542 was Thomas Dillon. On 26 June 1604 Sir Theobald Dillon had a Crown grant of a license to hold a monthly market and two fairs annually at the town of Kilkenny West. On 27 May 1613 a Crown grant of numerous lands including much of Kilkenny West was made to Robert Dillon of Cannerstown. A later castle owner James Dillon was raised to the peerage of Ireland, on 24 January 1619, as “Lord Dillon, Baron of Kilkenny-West” and was on 5 August 1622 crested as Earl of Roscommon. The Earl of Ormonde seized the town and castle in 1642. The Earl was on his way to relieve Athlone, which was under siege by Irish forces under the general direction of Sir James Dillon. Possibly the castle was destroyed at this point in time in order to deny it to the Irish rebels. According to one story Kilkenny West was seized by Cromwell’s troops, probably in 1652. If the castle was still standing it may have been destroyed at this point in time in order to punish the Dillon owners. In 1682 Piers reported that there were “some reliques of an abbey or monastery….and that the church was in good repair” but made no mention of the castle. The castle is now a total ruin with only one corner still standing.

Kilkenny West Mortuary Chapel. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 48 - Grid reference 123488. Built by Dillons of West Kilkenny. The chapel is now in poor condition and may have been burned in the past. It is 19’10” x 12’6” in dimension. It contains the gravestone of an Ellen Fitzgerald who died in 1817 at age 84. She was the granddaughter of a Mary Dillon who was the grandniece of the “Reverend Gentlemen” who built the chapel. This would put the construction of the chapel at approximately 1600. There is a stone over the entrance which states that Fr. Christy Dillon (d. 1678) and Fr. Peter Dillon (d. 1680) are buried inside. There are two Dillon graves outside.

Killininey (also Killinineen) Castle. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 48 - Grid reference 156464. Included in the list of Dillon castles in Reference 1. In Irish “Cillin Einin” means Einin’s Little Church. Einin was a pet name for Enan, the patron of Drumraney parish. It was owned by a Herbert Dillon who died here in 1640. His son John Dillon was a well-known lawyer and Prime Sergeant during the reign of James I. He was also the proprietor of numerous parcels of land in the Parish of Kilcleagh and elsewhere. He served on the Supreme Council of the Confederation of Kilkenny (Irish rebel government body). John lost the estate and his other land under Cromwell’s Act of Settlement and was transplanted to Strokestown, Co. Roscommon. The family afterwards settled at MountDillon (see MountDillon). Later still the family settled in France. In 1642 Herbert's elderly wife, Ellis Dillon, and some members of her family were murdered here by English troops (21, 46). Based on my discussions of Reference 8 nothing remains of the ruins. There is a house on the site of the castle. I have not been able to uncover any additional history related to the castle and have not yet visited the site.

Lissanode Castle. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 48 - Grid reference 177454. In Irish “Lios an fhoid”, meaning “Fort of the Grassy Spot”. There is no indication of a castle on the Ordnance Survey map. However there is both the site of a castle and a house on the archeological map for the area. Livery of the lands was granted to Henry and Redmond, sons of Redmond Dillon, on 28 November 1607. In a Crown grant to Robert Dillon of Cannerstown (see Cannorstown Estate), dated 27 May 1613, was in Lissenoide, 10 houses and two one half plowlands (Irish Patent Rolls, James I). William Dillon of Lissanode leased lands in Buntallon townland in 1632. I have not been able to uncover any additional history related to the castle and have not yet visited the site.

Littleton Castle. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 40 - Grid reference 097517. There is no indication of a castle on the Ordnance Survey map. However there is both a ruined castle and a ruined house on the archeological map for the area. The castle is included in the list of Dillon castles in Reference 1. I have not been able to uncover any additional history related to the castle and have not yet visited the site.

Portlick Castle. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 47 - Grid reference 058490 (Approximately 10km north of Athlone town on the eastern shore of Lough Ree). In Irish “Portlice” meaning “Port or Harbour of the Flagstone”. The castle was chartered by King John in the 1100s and is the only surviving original Dillon castle in Ireland. The castle has been continuously occupied since it was first built. Additional wings were added in the 15th, 18th and 20th centuries. On 27 May 1613 Robert Dillon of Cannerstown had a Crown grant which included 2 ½ cartons of land in Portlick. An interesting local story about Portlick is how it survived destruction following Cromwell. Apparently when Cromwell's troops were on their destructive march to the Shannon, they were camped at Kilkenny West after destroying Kilfaughny Castle. Portlick residents were able to start a rumor that troops were coming from Limerick to protect Athlone and were camped south of Ballymore. There was a small band at the Ballymore location that was thought to be the advance of the main body. Cromwell's force left the next morning for Ballymore and found nothing - sacking the town instead. They never returned to Portlick. According to Murtagh in Reference 12 the castle may have been burned after the Royalist defeat at Ballynacliffy castle. The castle was lost to the Dillons as a result of the Cromwell plantation. According to Reference 10 an Edmond Dillon was transplanted from “Portlicke” by Cromwell. He was granted 700 acres in the barony of Costello in Co. Mayo. The castle was restored to Gerald (Thomas in one account) Dillon (4th Viscount) in 1663 by Charles II. According to Liam Cox the last Dillon owner was Gerald Dillon who was captured in battle at Ballymore immediately prior to the siege of Athlone (20, 315). According to Harmon Murtagh the last Dillon owner was Theobald, the 7th Viscount Dillon. He was lieutenant colonel in Clanricard's infantry regiment in the Williamite War of 1690-91 (16, 133). Theobald was killed at the battle of Aughrim and his wife was killed in the siege of Limerick in 1691. At this point in time the castle was lost to the Dillons forever. Henry, the 8th Viscount Dillon and son of Theobald, surrendered Galway at the end of the war. He remained in Ireland after the defeat but did not have the castle restored to him (16, 133). King William in a letter patent of 17 June 1696 “granted and demised” to Thomas Keightley (one of his Majesty’s most honorable privy councilors of Ireland) possession of the lands and castle. Keightley sold his interest in Portlick to William Palmer of Dublin for a sum of 365 Pounds Sterling. William Palmer held the lands for 7 years but in 1703 in a series of deeds it passed into the hands of Rev. Robert Smyth. The estate of 340 acres with a dwelling house and stables was then let. Before the Great Famine there were 45 houses in the area where 220 people resided. Ten years later only 6 houses and 32 people remained. The estate remained in the Smyth family name until 1934. It has been sold several times since then. The castle is currently configured and used as a hotel (reservations can be made by calling +353-902-85955. My brother Peter and I stayed in December 2000 and the visit was memorable. As of May 2001 the castle could still be viewed on the internet (search for "Portlick Castle")).
Portlick Castle, Co. Westmeath (Possibly For Sale)

Portlick Castle Portlick Castle is an 12th century Dillon Castle located on the shores of Lough Ree with 30 acres of walled gardens, wooded areas and pasture land. The castle and period extensions have all been extensively renovated to a very high standard.

Portlick Castle remains the last of six Norman Castles built by charter of King John on the shores of Lough Ree, or "The Lake of Kings" and is a stunning example of mediaeval architecture.

Additional wings were constructed in the 15th, 18th and 20th Centuries. An old ringfort and motte exist nearby dating from around 200 AD.

Above all, Portlick Castle is an edifice that stands proud alongside magnificent surroundings and is drenched in Irish history being the only surviving Dillon castle in the Ireland.

Walderstown Estate. The location is unclear but it could be the present town of Walderstown. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 48 - Grid reference 144464. The Crown grant to Robert Dillon of Cannerstown (see Cannorstown Estate) of 27 May 1613 included “Walderstown, otherwise Ballyvaker, containing a ruined castle, 30 houses, 30 gardens and two plowlands. I have not been able to locate this estate or to uncover any history related to it.

Waterstown Castle. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 47 - Grid reference 100456. In Irish “Baile Bhaiter” which means “Walter’s Castle”. The map indicates that the castle is in a lake. The current owner confirms that the lake level is artificial. Thus the castle ruins are completely submerged and out of site. According to Paul Walsh the castle was destroyed in 1393 by Cormac O’Maeleachlainn and O’Ceallaigh of Westmeath. Possibly the current ruin is the second castle on the site. Apparently the current castle was built by John Dillon, son of Sir Robert Dillon, Henry VII’s Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, towards the end of the fifteenth century. In 1550, the castle was occupied by Gerald Dillon, probably a son of John’s. In 1598 the “chief gentlemen” of the area included the Dillons of Waterstown. Again according to Paul Walsh the castle belonged to the Dillons up until 1666. In the Cromwellian confiscations the estate was, with others, granted to William Handcock. It was never returned to the Dillons following the restoration of Charles II. The second son of William Handcock settled on the estate in about 1700. The mansion was erected in about 1740. The estate was sold in 1900. In 1923 it was sold to the Irish Land Commission and the mansion was dismantled and abandoned to crumble into the ruin it is today.
PART 3
OTHER LANDS

Castles and Estates Outside "Dillon's Country"
Athlone Castle. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 47 - Grid reference 039414. Built by John De Gray, Bishop of Norwich, Irish Justicar and a close confidant of King John of England, in 1210. Thus not a true Dillon castle. Soon after it’s erection the stone tower of the castle collapsed and killed nine Normans. The core of the castle may have been a ‘motte’ and it was probably too fresh to support the weight. The current polygonal donjon is likely a remnant from de Gray’s time. The castle served as a major royal base from which to extend Norman influence into the west. As the Gaelic Irish clans began to reclaim their land in the 14th century Athlone came under pressure. The castle was lost in 1341. It was recovered for the English and the position of “constable” was granted to local Anglo-Norman clans in an effort to stabilize the security situation. Over the period 1342 – 1346 and 1352 - 1353 Henry Dillon served as constable of the castle. His son Robert also served as constable. Gerald Dillon was appointed constable in 1393. From 1398 various Dillons served as constable on a hereditary basis. In 1402 the Dillons captured Cormac O’Melaghlin, titular king of Meath, at the castle. The Dillon tenure was disputed by the O’Ceallaighs, a Gaelic clan from the west of Athlone, to whom they lost the castle briefly in 1433 and again over the period 1455 – 1490. The castle was betrayed by a woman in 1455 and retaken by The Dillon in 1490 (17, 272). In both cases the Dillons re-captured the castle. Irish Confederate forces, during the rebellion of 1641 unsuccessfully attacked the castle and town. The Irish forces were under the general direction of Sir James Dillon who based himself out of Killinure and Kilfaughny castles according to Piers in Reference 7. The Irish forces were able to seize the Leinster side of the town but lacked the heavy equipment required to take the Connaught side, which included the castle. Sir James Dillon surrendered the castle to the parliamentarian army in 1651. The post of constable was revived in 1765 and was granted to Charles, twelfth Viscount Dillon of Costello-Gallen, in 1797. The original castle was severely damaged during the sieges of 1690 and 1691. The current version is of napoleonic war vintage.

Athlone Friary. St Mary’s friary, on the east bank of the Shannon, was one of the earliest houses of Franciscan friars in Ireland. The Dillons of Kilkenny West most likely founded it in 1239. The friary was dissolved in 1568 and the lands were granted to James Dillon in 1583. He had acquired so many religious houses endowed by his ancestors that he was nicknamed the ‘prior’ and according to one account had actually been the prior of the abbey at Kilkenny West. The friary was demolished in the late 1560s. In 1570 the site and its’ properties were leased to Sir Lucas Dillon for a period of 60 years. The friary itself was largely a ruin, with the exception of the walls of the church, by 1618. In 1641 the property was still in the possession of the son of Sir Lucas, Sir James Dillon. Catholics probably formed the majority of the population of post restoration Athlone. There was no bishop but the Franciscans met their spiritual needs. Various guardians of the Franciscan friary included Laurence Dillon in 1659 and Francis Dillon from 1678 – 80, 1684 – 85 and 1689 – 90. Francis Dillon was imprisoned in Dublin in 1698 after the Catholic clergy were banned in Ireland. He was eventually freed and continued to live in Athlone. In 1703 he was guardian of the Athlone convent.

Clonbrock Castle and Estate. Ordnance Survey of Ireland - Discovery Series 47 - Grid reference 745395. The castle and lands were purchased from Teague O’Connor by Thomas Dillon in 1575, which was during the reign of Elizabeth I. Thomas Dillon was a member of the Proudstown branch of the family. Fourteen generations of Dillons lived in the castle until the late 1700s. They along with the Dillons of Lismullen, Co. Meath, were the only Dillons to escape the wrath of Cromwell being classified as “innocent papists, capable of holding land”. Being on the West Side of the Shannon probably helped in keeping the lands. The ruins of the old castle are still standing and appear to be in reasonable shape. The large estate house dates from 1785. The Dillons sold the estate in 1976. Luke Dillon-Mahon presented the invaluable archives to the nation. The estate house was destroyed by fire in 1984. I visited the site in January 2000. Only some of the outer buildings are inhabitable and some are currently rented out.

Curraghboy Castle. Co. Roscommon (location unconfirmed). Thomas Dillon, chief justice of Connacht, resided at Curraghboy. He was appointed “Pursuivant”, a minor functionary role, in 1595. I suspect the castle was acquired by purchase, much like Clonbrok, however I have no proof of this.

Dillon’s Grove. Co. Roscommon (location unconfirmed). Acquired from Cromwell after the transplantation of the 1650s. The First Dillon was Richard Dillon (14th generation) formerly of Drumraney. His son Gerald forfeited the land in 1689, presumably for siding with King James II during the Williamite war. I have not yet been able to locate this town. Possibly the name has changed over time.

Lissiane Estate. Co. Mayo. Granted to Lord Dillon by Charles II. Sold by the Dillons in about 1825. Descendants moved to Canada. House was in ruins by the 1860s. A Val Dillon purchased the land in 1869. I have not been able to uncover any additional history related to the castle and have not yet visited the site.

Loughglynn Estate. Co. Roscommon. Mentioned in Reference 3 as being a Dillon estate in the 1680s. The original Dillon came from Kilkenny-West, Co. Westmeath. The owner married into the Lee family and moved to England in the 1720s. His descendents continued to hold the land as absentee landlords. The estate was sold in 1904 to the Irish Novitiate of the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary. The present Viscount Dillon (20th) is the 24th generation in direct descent from the original Dillon in Ireland and he currently lives in England. I have not been able to visit the site.

Mountdillon Estate. This townland, originally called Clooncraff, was part of the land give to John Dillon of Strokestown, Co. Roscommon, during the Cromwell transplantation of the 1650s. John Dillon was an eminent lawyer. The transplanted certificate was destroyed during the Irish Civil War so no record remains about the size of the land grant. John Dillon was of the 14th generation of Dillons in Ireland. Mount Dillon House was built by Peter Dillon (d, 1704). Apparently it was a 4-story house with a mile long tree lined approach. Five generations of Dillons lived in the house. Much of the estate was sold in 1870 and the house was demolished. The remainder of the estate has been sold in more recent times.

Moymet Castle. Near Trim, Co. Meath. Once the home of Sir Lucas Dillon, Seneschal of Kilkenny West who had assisted in bringing the Dillons under royal control in the 1500s. Sir Lucas is buried in the ruined church of Newtown-Clonbun near the present cathedral. His altar tomb has a covering slab with effigies of himself and his wife, Jane Bathe, who died in 1581. The sides of the monument are decorated with shields bearing the arms of the Bathes, Barnwalls and other families whom the Dillons intermarried (18, 450).

Proudstown. Castle and church in the Barony of Skreen (or Skrine), Co. Meath. The Dillon Pedigree mentions “Sir James Dillon of Proudstown, Knight”. He was the youngest son of Gerald, Lord of Drumrany, and Lady Emily Fitzgerald. He started the Proudstown branch of the Dillon family. It was one of the most distinguished branches of the family, having as descendants the Earls of Roscommon, the Lords of Clonbrock, and the Dillon baronets of Lismullen. The Proudstown line has a different set of family arms and crest from the other branches of the family. The original lion rampant (passant-standing on all fours and rampant-standing on hind legs). A possible explanation is that Sir Richard Dillon of Proudstown brought 600 Irish troops to the Battle of Vernuil in 1424, and the Duke of Bedford, then Regent of France, granted Sir Richard and his descendants a Falcon Volant for a crest and the addition of the fess over the lion--for valor he displayed in the battle. It is not presently known if this Dillon's bravery also raised the lion from passant to rampant. (The other crest is a demi lion). The family motto also varies. The Costello-Gallen, Kilcornan, and Mount Dillon branches have "Dum Spiro Spero" ("While I live, I shall hope") but the Proudstown branch is "Auxilium ab Alto" (?).I have not been able to uncover any additional history related to the castle and have not yet visited the site.

PART 4
FUTURE RESEARCH AND REFERENCES

Future Research:
According to Hart the First Dillon was progenitor to all who bear the name of Dillon. This is not entirely true because, in the era where surnames came into general use, tenants and soldiers often took the name of their baron as their own surname. Thus many modern Dillons would have no direct blood connection to the earliest Dillons.

The individual Dillons mentioned in Parts 1,2 and 3 above were from the land owning class. Their exploits were recorded and are now part of Irish history. Many of them lost their land to, Cromwell or King William, and they joined the landless classes (tenant farmer, laborer, artisan, tradesman, soldier, etc.). The vast majority of Dillons were born into the landless classes. Little was ever recorded about them thus little is known about them today. Most modern Dillons are descended from the landless classes and we will never be able to trace our roots back to "Dillon's Country" due to the lack of records. In the case of our ancestors few records were made, few were kept; many were lost in various accidental fires in the past and many more were lost in a major fire in Dublin during the 1922 Irish Civil War. Thus we will have to be content with what is known about the Dillons who made it into history.

My research was concentrated in and around "Dillon's Country" in Co. Westmeath. As outlined above a branch of the family was based in Co. Meath and many other branches expanded into counties Roscommon, Longford, Sligo and Mayo in the 16th and 17th centuries. The county libraries are likely treasure troves of information about these Dillons. As search of county historical journals and books would produce a list of Dillon castles and estates. They could then be located on the county archeological maps.

References:
The most comprehensive list of Dillon castles and estates, in “Dillon’s Country”, is to be found in Reference 6. The best source of Dillon castles and estates, outside of “Dillon’s Country”, is References 2 and 3. The best source of general history on the Dillons is Reference 12.

1. South Westmeath Farm & Folk. Sheehan, Jeremiah (1978) Blackwater Publishers, Dublin.

2. CNOC DIOLUN, A Genealogical Survey of the Dillon Family in Ireland, by Gerald Dillon., The Irish Genealogist, Volume 2 (1943 – 55)

3. THE DILLON PEERAGES, By Gerald Dillon., The Irish Genealogist, Volume 3 (1956 – 67)

4. Ancient Westmeath – Lilliput pamphlet series no. 4, By Paul Walsh. The Lilliput Press Ltd. 1985.

5. Poor Clares, Galway 1642 – 1992, By Celsus O’Brien, Printed by the Connacht Tribune Limited, Market Street Galway.

6. Placenames of Westmeath – The Baronies of Clonlonan and Kilkenny West, By Liam Cox. Published by Moate Historical Society, Moate, Co. Westmeath, 1994.

7. A Chorographical Description of the County of West-Meath, By Sir Henry Piers Baronet, 1682. Reprinted by Meath Archeological and Historical Society 1981.

8. Meeting – Michael Dillon & Gearoid O’Brien, Athlone Public Library, Fr. Matthew Hall, Athlone on 12 August 2000.

9. Bagwell, Richard, Ireland under the Stuarts and During the Interregum, Volume 2, 1906 – 16; reprinted London 1963).

10. Simington, Robert C., The Transportation to Connacht 1654-58. Shannon. I.M.C. 1970.

11. Lemmon, Colm., Sixteenth-Century IRELAND – The Incomplete Conquest. Gill & MacMillan 1994.

12. Murtagh, Harman., Athlone History and Settlement to 1800. Old Athlone Society, Athlone, Ireland. ISBN 0 9503 4285 8, Copyright Harman Murtagh, 2000

13. Casway, Jerrold I., Owen Roe O’Neill and the struggle for Catholic Ireland, University of Pennsylvania Press 1984. ISBN 0-8122-7895-X

14. The Dispossessed Landowners of Ireland, 1664, The Irish Genealogist, Volume 3 (November 1968 – November 1973)

15. O’Hart, John. Irish Landed Gentry when Cromwell Came to Ireland, Second Edition, Dublin: James Duffy and Sons, 1887

16. The Irish Sword, Vol. XVI [1984-1986], The Journal of the Military History Society of Ireland.

17. Athlone Castle: It's Early History, The Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, Vol. XXXVII [1907].

18. Proceedings, The Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, Vol. XXXVI [1906].

19. The Irish Sword, Vol. XV [1982-1983], The Journal of the Military History Society of Ireland.

20. The Williamite War in Westmeath and Ginkle's March to Athlone: By Liam Cox. The Irish Sword, Vol. IX [1969-1970], The Journal of the Military History Society of Ireland.

21. Athlone in The Civil War 1641 - 1652: By Liam Cox. The Irish Sword, Vol. X [1971 - 1972], The Journal of the Military History Society of Ireland.

Michael J.E. Dillon
mje_dillon@hotmail.com
13 July 2001

vol 8, p. 224 Dillon, Sarah 12 Belfast Ireland Fairbridge Farm School Fairbridge Farm School, Cowichan Station, B.C. father: Mr. William Dillon 126 Argyle Street, Belfast
vol 8, p. 224 Dillon, Ellen 8 Belfast Ireland Fairbridge Farm School Fairbridge Farm School, Cowichan Station, B.C. father: Mr. William Dillon 126 Argyle Street, Belfast

Federal Census of 1871 (Ontario Index)
Search terms : " : 2=1 : 1=DILLON.SUR. : " References: 1 - 117 of 117
Name Age Birthplace District Sub-district
------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 DILLON , ELISABETH 17 USA ESSEX Sandwich Town
2 DILLON , CATHERINE 43 IRELAND KENT Raleigh
3 DILLON , CATHERINE 40 IRELAND KENT Raleigh
4 DILLON , OWEN 35 IRELAND KENT Chatham Township
5 DILLON , SIMON 52 IRELAND KENT Raleigh
6 DILLON , JAMES 37 ONTARIO KENT Raleigh
7 DILLON , JOHN 58 IRELAND KENT Raleigh
8 DILLON , MARTIN 48 IRELAND KENT Raleigh
9 DILLON , MARTIN 42 IRELAND KENT Raleigh
10 DILLON , PATRICK 62 IRELAND KENT Raleigh
11 DILLON , TIMOTHY 65 IRELAND KENT Raleigh
12 DILLON , JOHN 37 N B BOTHWELL Euphemia
13 DILLON , JOSEPH 30 N B BOTHWELL Euphemia
14 DILLON , MICHAEL 44 IRELAND BOTHWELL Euphemia
15 DILLON , JOSEPH 72 IRELAND BOTHWELL Bothwell Town
16 DILLON , THOMAS 46 IRELAND BOTHWELL Bothwell Town
17 DILLON , MARY 17 ONTARIO MIDDLESEX WEST ..STRA:throy Villa
18 DILLON , JOHN 49 IRELAND MIDDLESEX WEST Ekfrid
19 DILLON , CATHARINE 38 IRELAND MIDDLESEX EAST London Township
20 DILLON , BRIDGET 20 IRELAND LONDON CITY Ward No. 1
21 DILLON , PATRICK LONDON CITY Ward No. 7
22 DILLON , MATTHEW 44 IRELAND OXFORD SOUTH Dereham
23 DILLON , RICHARD 22 IRELAND OXFORD SOUTH Dereham
24 DILLON , JAMES H 18 ONTARIO OXFORD SOUTH Oxford East
25 DILLON , MARGARET 24 ONTARIO NIAGARA East Ward
26 DILLON , ANN 39 IRELAND LINCOLN St. Catharine
27 DILLON , JAMES 41 IRELAND LINCOLN St. Catharine
28 DILLON , ISAAC 47 SCOTLAND WENTWORTH NORTH Flamborough East
29 DILLON , ELLEN 45 IRELAND HAMILTON St. Andrew's Ward
30 DILLON , ELLEN 3 ONTARIO HAMILTON St. Andrew's Ward
31 DILLON , BRIDGET 16 IRELAND HAMILTON St. Mary's Ward
32 DILLON , KATE 17 IRELAND HAMILTON St. Mary's Ward
33 DILLON , ABRAHAM 5 ONTARIO HAMILTON St. Andrew's Ward
34 DILLON , JAS 36 IRELAND HAMILTON St. Andrew's Ward
35 DILLON , JAS 14 QUE HAMILTON St. Andrew's Ward
36 DILLON , MICHAEL 16 QUE HAMILTON St. Andrew's Ward
37 DILLON , PATRICK 45 IRELAND HAMILTON St. Andrew's Ward
38 DILLON , PATRICK 7 ONTARIO HAMILTON St. Andrew's Ward
39 DILLON , WM 50 IRELAND HAMILTON St. Andrew's Ward
40 DILLON , JOHN 36 IRELAND HAMILTON St. Mary's Ward
41 DILLON , WILLIAM 65 IRELAND HAMILTON St. Mary's Ward
42 DILLON , AUSTNI 55 IRELAND HURON NORTH McKillop
43 DILLON , DAVID 45 IRELAND PERTH SOUTH Hibbert
44 DILLON , JOHN 60 IRELAND PERTH SOUTH Hibbert
45 DILLON , DANIEL 54 IRELAND PERTH SOUTH Downie
46 DILLON , EDWARD 37 IRELAND PERTH NORTH Logan
47 DILLON , SERAH ANN 28 IRELAND WELLINGTON SOUTH Guelph Town
48 DILLON , WM JAMES 32 IRELAND GREY SOUTH Egremont
49 DILLON , JAMES 49 IRELAND GREY SOUTH Glenelg
50 DILLON , MICHAEL 70 IRELAND GREY SOUTH Glenelg
51 DILLON , MICHAEL 45 IRELAND GREY NORTH Euphrasia
52 DILLON , PATRICK 57 IRE HALTON Esquesing
53 DILLON , PHILIP 30 ENGLAND CARDWELL Caledon
54 DILLON , JAMES 70 IRELAND SIMCOE SOUTH Gwillimbury Wes
55 DILLON , MARTIN 40 IRELAND SIMCOE SOUTH Gwillimbury Wes
56 DILLON , JOHN 49 IRELAND SIMCOE NORTH Orillia & Matcheda
57 DILLON , HUGH 36 ONTARIO SIMCOE NORTH Orillia Village
58 DILLON , HUGH 36 ONTARIO SIMCOE NORTH Orillia Village
59 DILLON , LUKE 21 ONTARIO YORK WEST York West
60 DILLON , PATRICK 19 ONTARIO YORK WEST York West
61 DILLON , EDWARD 45 IRELAND YORK EAST York East
62 DILLON , MINNIE 18 ONTARIO YORK EAST Yorkville Village
63 DILLON , MICHAEL 44 IRELAND TORONTO WEST St. Andrew's Ward
64 DILLON , CHARLES 32 CANADA TORONTO WEST St. Andrew's Ward
65 DILLON , JOHN 25 IRELAND TORONTO WEST St. Patrick's Ward
66 DILLON , MICHEAL 50 IRELAND TORONTO WEST St. Patrick's Ward
67 DILLON , JOHN 50 IRELAND TORONTO WEST St. John's Ward
68 DILLON , WILLIAM 45 IRELAND TORONTO WEST St. John's Ward
69 DILLON , MARY 50 IRELAND TORONTO WEST St. John's Ward
70 DILLON , PATRICK 26 ONTARIO TORONTO EAST St. James' Ward
71 DILLON , JAMES 27 ONTARIO TORONTO EAST St. David's Ward
72 DILLON , JOHN 26 IRELAND TORONTO EAST St. David's Ward
73 DILLON , JOHN 67 IRELAND ONTARIO NORTH Uxbridge
74 DILLON , MICHAEL 44 IRELAND ONTARIO NORTH Reach
75 DILLON , MELISSA 25 ONTARIO ONTARIO NORTH Reach
76 DILLON , SARAH 8 ONTARIO ONTARIO NORTH Reach
77 DILLON , WILLIAM 5 ONTARIO ONTARIO NORTH Reach
78 DILLON , JOSEPH 46 ONTARIO ONTARIO NORTH Scugog
79 DILLON , ANDREW 64 ENGLAND DURHAM WEST Bowmanville Town
80 DILLON , BARTHOLOMEW 28 ENGLAND DURHAM WEST Bowmanville Town
81 DILLON , HUGH 54 IRELAND NORTHUMBERLAND WEST Haldimand
82 DILLON , JAMES 55 IRELAND NORTHUMBERLAND WEST Haldimand
83 DILLON , RICHARD 62 IRELAND ONTARIO SOUTH Oshawa Town
84 DILLON , GEORGE 22 ONTARIO NORTHUMBERLAND EAST Percy
85 DILLON , ELLEN 26 ONTARIO PETERBOROUGH WEST Peterborough Town
86 DILLON , PATRICK 38 IRELAND ADDINGTON Sheffield
87 DILLON , JAMES 71 IRELAND ADDINGTON Sheffield
88 DILLON , JOHN 36 IRELAND ADDINGTON Sheffield
89 DILLON , MARGARET 56 IRELAND FRONTENAC Portsmouth Village
90 DILLON , PATRICK 61 IRELAND FRONTENAC Pittsburgh, Howe Is.
91 DILLON , FRANCIS 50 IRELAND FRONTENAC Pittsburgh, Howe Is.
92 DILLON , ANN 42 ENGLAND KINGSTON St. Lawrence Ward
93 DILLON , JOSEPH 44 IRELAND KINGSTON Cataraqui Ward
94 DILLON , MARY 33 ONTARIO LEEDS SOUTH Gananoque Village
95 DILLON , MICHAEL 35 IRELAND LEEDS SOUTH Gananoque Village
96 DILLON , ANDREW 48 IRELAND LEEDS SOUTH Leeds & Lansdowne (Rear)
97 DILLON , BENJAMIN 30 ONTARIO LEEDS SOUTH Leeds & Lansdowne (Rear)
98 DILLON , ROBERT 39 ONTARIO LEEDS SOUTH Leeds & Lansdowne (Rear)
99 DILLON , WILLIAM 33 ONTARIO GRENVILLE SOUTH Prescott Town
100 DILLON , WILLIAM 33 ONTARIO GRENVILLE SOUTH Edwardsburg
101 DILLON , MARY JANE 6 ONTARIO GRENVILLE SOUTH Prescott Town
102 DILLON , RAPHAEL 78 IRELAND GRENVILLE SOUTH Edwardsburg
103 DILLON , WILLIAM 34 IRELAND DUNDAS Matilda
104 DILLON , THOMAS 39 ONTARIO DUNDAS Iroquois Village
105 DILLON , ALLAN 33 IRELAND PRESCOTT Plantagenet North
106 DILLON , MICHAEL 41 IRELAND RUSSELL New Edinburgh
107 DILLON , SAMUEL 40 SCOTLAND RUSSELL Osgoode
108 DILLON , JAMES 12 ONTARIO RUSSELL Osgoode
109 DILLON , WILLIAM 10 ONTARIO RUSSELL Osgoode
110 DILLON , ROBERT 45 IRELAND CARLETON North Gower
111 DILLON , JOHN 68 IRELAND CARLETON North Gower
112 DILLON , THOMAS 30 ONTARIO CARLETON North Gower
113 DILLON , JOHN 39 SCOTLAND CARLETON North Gower
114 DILLON , EDWARD 35 IRELAND RENFREW SOUTH McNab
115 DILLON , T H 50 IRELAND RENFREW SOUTH Bagot & Blythfield
116 DILLON , DENNIS 43 IRELAND RENFREW SOUTH Bagot & Blythfield
117 DILLON , JOHN 60 IRELAND RENFREW SOUTH Bagot & Blythfield

Search terms : " : 2=1 : 1=HALDENBY.SUR. : " References: 1 - 4 of 4

1 HALDENBY , WM 22 ONTARIO LINCOLN St. Catharine
2 HALDENBY , HENRY 51 ENGLAND BRUCE SOUTH Culross
3 HALDENBY , RICHARD 48 ENGLAND BRUCE SOUTH Culross
4 HALDENBY , HANNAH 80 ENGLAND LENNOX Amherst Island

Search terms : " : 2=1 : 1=DUDLEY.SUR. : " References: 1 - 30 of 30

1 DUDLEY , AMBROSE 60 UNITED STATES KENT Chatham Township
2 DUDLEY , ROBERT 41 UNITED STATES KENT Dover
3 DUDLEY , THOMAS 50 UNITED STATES KENT Chatham Town
4 DUDLEY , PATRICK 58 IRELAND LAMBTON Brooke
5 DUDLEY , WILLIAM 31 IRELAND ELGIN WEST Southwold
6 DUDLEY , GEORGE A 40 ONTARIO MIDDLESEX WEST ..STRA:throy Villa
7 DUDLEY , SARAH 51 IRELAND LINCOLN St. Catharine
8 DUDLEY , MARGRET 53 IRELAND WENTWORTH NORTH Dundas Town
9 DUDLEY , THOMAS 50 ENGLAND BRUCE SOUTH Brant
10 DUDLEY , JAMES 28 ONTARIO PERTH SOUTH Blanchard
11 DUDLEY , JOHN 72 IRELAND PERTH SOUTH St. Mary's Tow
12 DUDLEY , T J 23 ONT WELLINGTON NORTH Mount Forest Villa
13 DUDLEY , EDWARD 56 IRELAND CARDWELL Albion
14 DUDLEY , WALTER 58 ENGLAND YORK NORTH Newmarket Villag
15 DUDLEY , THOMAS 27 ENGLAND TORONTO EAST St. David's Ward
16 DUDLEY , THOMAS 61 IRELAND TORONTO EAST St. David's Ward
17 DUDLEY , JAMES 37 ENGLAND TORONTO EAST St. David's Ward
18 DUDLEY , PHILANDER 43 ONTARIO NORTHUMBERLAND WEST Haldimand
19 DUDLEY , JOHN 34 ONTARIO NORTHUMBERLAND WEST Haldimand
20 DUDLEY , JOHN 73 UNITED STATES NORTHUMBERLAND WEST Haldimand
21 DUDLEY , STEPHEN 51 ONTARIO NORTHUMBERLAND EAST Cramahe
22 DUDLEY , AUSTIN 38 ONTARIO NORTHUMBERLAND EAST Cramahe
23 DUDLEY , LEVI 62 UNITED STATES NORTHUMBERLAND EAST Cramahe
24 DUDLEY , A W 29 ONTARIO NORTHUMBERLAND EAST Colborne Village
25 DUDLEY , MARY 55 ONTARIO NORTHUMBERLAND EAST Colborne Village
26 DUDLEY , MALALIE 18 ONTARIO NORTHUMBERLAND EAST Murray
27 DUDLEY , GEORGE 42 ONTARIO BROCKVILLE Elizabethtown
28 DUDLEY , JOHN 35 ENGLAND CARLETON Nepean
29 DUDLEY , JOSUA 50 IRELAND RENFREW NORTH Pembroke Village
30 DUDLEY , THOMAS 28 ENGLAND MUSKOKA Macaulay

Search terms : " : 2=1 : 1=MCKINNON.SUR. : " References: 1 - 200 of 462

1 MCKINNON , MARY 78 SCOTLAND BOTHWELL Orford
2 MCKINNON , ANGUS 35 PEI LAMBTON Moore
3 MCKINNON , REDORIE 42 PEI LAMBTON Moore
4 MCKINNON , JOHN 12 ONTARIO LAMBTON Bosanquet
5 MCKINNON , JOHN 50 SCOTLAND LAMBTON Plympton
6 MCKINNON , ANGUS 37 ONTARIO LAMBTON Sarnia Town
7 MCKINNON , DUNCAN 45 ONT ELGIN WEST Aldborough
8 MCKINNON , ALEXANDRINA 28 ONT ELGIN EAST Vienna Village
9 MCKINNON , MARGRET 82 SCOTLAND MIDDLESEX WEST Ekfrid
10 MCKINNON , HUGH 37 QUE MIDDLESEX WEST Mosa
11 MCKINNON , JOHN 32 SCOTLAND MIDDLESEX WEST Mosa
12 MCKINNON , DANIEL 25 NEW BRUNSWICK MIDDLESEX WEST ..STRA:throy Villa
13 MCKINNON , WILLIAM 50 ONTARIO MIDDLESEX WEST ..STRA:throy Villa
14 MCKINNON , CHARLES 1 ONTARIO MIDDLESEX WEST ..STRA:throy Villa
15 MCKINNON , ALEX 37 QUE MIDDLESEX WEST Metcalfe
16 MCKINNON , CONNAL 44 ONTARIO MIDDLESEX WEST Ekfrid
17 MCKINNON , FRANK 2 ONTARIO MIDDLESEX WEST Ekfrid
18 MCKINNON , JOHN 41 SCOTLAND MIDDLESEX WEST Wardsville Vill
19 MCKINNON , NEIL 44 SCOTLAND MIDDLESEX WEST Wardsville Vill
20 MCKINNON , ANN 57 SCOTLAND MIDDLESEX NORTH Williams East
21 MCKINNON , FLORA 40 SCOTLAND MIDDLESEX NORTH Williams West
22 MCKINNON , ANN 80 SCOTLAND MIDDLESEX NORTH Williams West
23 MCKINNON , CHARLES 60 SCOTLAND MIDDLESEX NORTH Williams East
24 MCKINNON , NEIL 40 SCOTLAND MIDDLESEX NORTH Williams East
25 MCKINNON , GREGOR 52 SCOTLAND MIDDLESEX NORTH Williams East
26 MCKINNON , DONALD 80 SCOTLAND MIDDLESEX NORTH Williams East
27 MCKINNON , JOHN 35 SCOTLAND MIDDLESEX NORTH Williams East
28 MCKINNON , JOHN 38 SCOTLAND MIDDLESEX NORTH Williams East
29 MCKINNON , DONALD 38 SCOTLAND MIDDLESEX NORTH Williams West
30 MCKINNON , NEIL 75 ONTARIO MIDDLESEX NORTH Williams West
31 MCKINNON , JOHN 33 ONTARIO MIDDLESEX NORTH Williams West
32 MCKINNON , DONALD 46 NS MIDDLESEX NORTH Williams West
33 MCKINNON , JOHN 55 SCOTLAND MIDDLESEX NORTH Williams West
34 MCKINNON , NEIL 26 SCOTLAND MIDDLESEX NORTH Williams West
35 MCKINNON , DONALD 30 SCOTLAND MIDDLESEX NORTH Williams West
36 MCKINNON , CHAS 40 NS MIDDLESEX NORTH Williams West
37 MCKINNON , MARGARET 24 NOVA SCOTIA MIDDLESEX EAST London Township
38 MCKINNON , ARABELLA 49 SCOTLAND MIDDLESEX EAST London Township
39 MCKINNON , ELIZA 70 SCOTLAND MIDDLESEX EAST London Township
40 MCKINNON , MARGRETT 21 SCOTLAND LONDON CITY Ward No. 1
41 MCKINNON , JOHN 39 SCOTLAND LONDON CITY Ward No. 1
42 MCKINNON , JAMES 20 SCOTLAND LONDON CITY Ward No. 2
43 MCKINNON , DAVID 29 Q NORFOLK SOUTH Woodhouse
44 MCKINNON , DANIEL 26 IRELAND NORFOLK NORTH Townsend
45 MCKINNON , KITTY 56 SCOTLAND OXFORD SOUTH Oxford East
46 MCKINNON , MALCOM 48 SCOTLAND BRANT N. or E. Dumfries Sout
47 MCKINNON , JAMES 51 SCOTLAND BRANT N. or E. Dumfries Sout
48 MCKINNON , JOHN 50 SCOTLAND BRANT N. or E. Dumfries Sout
49 MCKINNON , STEPHEN 71 SCOTLAND BRANT N. or E. Dumfries Sout
50 MCKINNON , MICHAEL 70 SCOTLAND BRANT N. or E. Dumfries Sout
51 MCKINNON , DONALD 60 SCOTLAND BRANT N. or E. Brantford Eas
52 MCKINNON , FLORA 67 SCOTLAND HALDIMAND Caledonia Villa
53 MCKINNON , RANALD 69 SCOTLAND HALDIMAND Caledonia Villa
54 MCKINNON , RANALD JOHN 18 ONTARIO HALDIMAND Caledonia Villa
55 MCKINNON , DUGOLD 36 SCOTLAND HALDIMAND Caledonia Villa
56 MCKINNON , IDA 43 ONTARIO WELLAND Willoughby
57 MCKINNON , JANE 18 ONTARIO WENTWORTH SOUTH Ancaster
58 MCKINNON , MARIA 32 IRELAND HAMILTON St. Lawrence Ward
59 MCKINNON , HUGH 25 ONT HAMILTON St. Andrew's Ward
60 MCKINNON , MARY 80 SCOTLAND HURON SOUTH Stephen
61 MCKINNON , MARGARET 15 ONTARIO HURON SOUTH Stephen
62 MCKINNON , MARGARET 76 SCOTLAND HURON SOUTH Stephen
63 MCKINNON , ANN 57 SCOTLAND HURON SOUTH Tuckersmith
64 MCKINNON , ANGUS 47 SCOTLAND HURON SOUTH Stephen
65 MCKINNON , DANIEL 30 SCOTLAND HURON SOUTH Stephen
66 MCKINNON , DANIEL 33 SCOTLAND HURON SOUTH Stephen
67 MCKINNON , DANIEL 75 SCOTLAND HURON SOUTH Stephen
68 MCKINNON , NEAL 44 SCOTLAND HURON SOUTH Goderich Town
69 MCKINNON , DUNCAN 34 SCOTLAND HURON SOUTH Tuckersmith
70 MCKINNON , HUGH 30 SCOTLAND HURON SOUTH Tuckersmith
71 MCKINNON , JOHN 30 SCOTLAND HURON SOUTH Tuckersmith
72 MCKINNON , JOHN 47 SCOTLAND HURON NORTH Colborne
73 MCKINNON , DONALD 43 SCOTLAND HURON NORTH Colborne
74 MCKINNON , ALEX 37 N SCOTIA HURON NORTH Wawanosh West
75 MCKINNON , JAMES 39 SCOTLAND HURON NORTH Wawanosh East
76 MCKINNON , WM 61 SCOTLAND HURON NORTH Wawanosh East
77 MCKINNON , ALEXANDER 65 SCOTLAND HURON NORTH Wawanosh East
78 MCKINNON , CHARLES 42 SCOTLAND HURON NORTH Wawanosh East
79 MCKINNON , MALCOLM 32 ONTARIO HURON NORTH Wawanosh East
80 MCKINNON , MARGARET ONTARIO HURON NORTH Wawanosh East
81 MCKINNON , DANIEL 22 SCOTLAND HURON NORTH Morris
82 MCKINNON , JOSEPH 40 IRELAND HURON NORTH Morris
83 MCKINNON , ROBERT 43 ONTARIO HURON NORTH Morris
84 MCKINNON , HUGH 26 SCOTLAND HURON NORTH Grey
85 MCKINNON , ALEXANDER 50 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Huron
86 MCKINNON , JENNETT 27 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Huron
87 MCKINNON , MARY 25 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Huron
88 MCKINNON , CHARLES 45 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Huron
89 MCKINNON , CHARLES 58 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Huron
90 MCKINNON , JOHN 28 ONTARIO BRUCE SOUTH Kinloss
91 MCKINNON , WILLIAM 35 ONTARIO BRUCE SOUTH Kinloss
92 MCKINNON , NICHOLAS 21 ONTARIO BRUCE SOUTH Kinloss
93 MCKINNON , ANGUS 16 ONTARIO BRUCE SOUTH Kinloss
94 MCKINNON , JAMES 65 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Kinloss
95 MCKINNON , KINNON 30 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Kinloss
96 MCKINNON , ANGUS 29 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Kinloss
97 MCKINNON , DONALD 30 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Kinloss
98 MCKINNON , DONALD 47 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Kinloss
99 MCKINNON , JOHN 44 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Kinloss
100 MCKINNON , DUNCAN 34 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Kinloss
101 MCKINNON , JOHN 71 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Kinloss
102 MCKINNON , JOHN 73 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Kinloss
103 MCKINNON , JAMES 35 NOVA SCOTIA BRUCE SOUTH Kinloss
104 MCKINNON , CHARLES 45 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Kinloss
105 MCKINNON , NEIL 34 NOVA SCOTIA BRUCE SOUTH Culross
106 MCKINNON , JOHN 25 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Culross
107 MCKINNON , HECTOR 44 NOVA SCOTIA BRUCE SOUTH Culross
108 MCKINNON , ANN 45 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Culross
109 MCKINNON , NEIL 53 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Culross
110 MCKINNON , DONALD 50 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Culross
111 MCKINNON , ISABELLA 15 ONTARIO BRUCE SOUTH Culross
112 MCKINNON , ISABELLA 43 NOVA SCOTIA BRUCE SOUTH Culross
113 MCKINNON , MALCOLM 48 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Kincardine Townshi
114 MCKINNON , CATHERINE 14 ONTARIO BRUCE SOUTH Kincardine Townshi
115 MCKINNON , MARGARET 24 ONTARIO BRUCE SOUTH Kincardine Townshi
116 MCKINNON , MARGARET 47 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Kincardine Townshi
117 MCKINNON , ALEXANDER 35 ONTARIO BRUCE SOUTH Kincardine Townshi
118 MCKINNON , DONALD 50 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Kincardine Townshi
119 MCKINNON , JOHN 24 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Kincardine Townshi
120 MCKINNON , ARCHIBALD 46 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Kincardine Townshi
121 MCKINNON , JOHN 34 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Kincardine Townshi
122 MCKINNON , DONALD 32 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Kincardine Townshi
123 MCKINNON , NEIL 69 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Kincardine Townshi
124 MCKINNON , JOHN 55 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Kincardine Townshi
125 MCKINNON , DONALD 35 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Kincardine Townshi
126 MCKINNON , MARY 106 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Kincardine Village
127 MCKINNON , KENNETH 35 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Greenock
128 MCKINNON , HUGH 50 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Greenock
129 MCKINNON , MALCOLM 45 NOVA SCOTIA BRUCE SOUTH Greenock
130 MCKINNON , KENNETH C 32 CAPE BRETON BRUCE SOUTH Greenock
131 MCKINNON , ALEXANDER 30 CAPE BRETON BRUCE SOUTH Greenock
132 MCKINNON , ALEXANDER 30 CAPE BRETON BRUCE SOUTH Greenock
133 MCKINNON , JOHN 35 NOVA SCOTIA BRUCE SOUTH Greenock
134 MCKINNON , DUNCAN 20 NOVA SCOTIA BRUCE SOUTH Greenock
135 MCKINNON , JOHN 41 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Greenock
136 MCKINNON , NEIL 48 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Greenock
137 MCKINNON , DONALD 36 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Greenock
138 MCKINNON , ALEXANDER 38 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Greenock
139 MCKINNON , DONALD 36 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Greenock
140 MCKINNON , JOHN 55 SCOTLAND BRUCE SOUTH Greenock
141 MCKINNON , JOHN 9 ONTARIO BRUCE SOUTH Greenock
142 MCKINNON , CHARLES 52 NOVA SCOTIA BRUCE NORTH Bruce
143 MCKINNON , ANNIE 16 ONTARIO BRUCE NORTH Bruce
144 MCKINNON , JOHN 55 SCOTLAND BRUCE NORTH Bruce
145 MCKINNON , DUNCAN 49 SCOTLAND BRUCE NORTH Bruce
146 MCKINNON , JOHN 19 BRUCE NORTH Bruce
147 MCKINNON , HUGH 28 SCOTLAND BRUCE NORTH Bruce
148 MCKINNON , NEIL 40 SCOTLAND BRUCE NORTH Bruce
149 MCKINNON , HUGH 46 SCOTLAND BRUCE NORTH Bruce
150 MCKINNON , CHARLES 75 SCOTLAND BRUCE NORTH Bruce
151 MCKINNON , HUGH 30 SCOTLAND BRUCE NORTH Bruce
152 MCKINNON , DONALD 40 SCOTLAND BRUCE NORTH Bruce
153 MCKINNON , CHARLES 58 SCOTLAND BRUCE NORTH Bruce
154 MCKINNON , NEIL 50 NOVA SCOTIA BRUCE NORTH Bruce
155 MCKINNON , JOHN 70 SCOTLAND BRUCE NORTH Bruce
156 MCKINNON , ALLAN SCOTLAND BRUCE NORTH Bruce
157 MCKINNON , ALLAN 42 SCOTLAND BRUCE NORTH Bruce
158 MCKINNON , ARCHIBALD 43 SCOTLAND BRUCE NORTH Bruce
159 MCKINNON , DONALD 57 SCOTLAND BRUCE NORTH Bruce
160 MCKINNON , ANGUS 32 ONTARIO BRUCE NORTH Bruce
161 MCKINNON , MALCOLM 39 ONTARIO BRUCE NORTH Bruce
162 MCKINNON , JOHN 40 SCOTLAND BRUCE NORTH Bruce
163 MCKINNON , DONALD 30 SCOTLAND BRUCE NORTH Bruce
164 MCKINNON , MARGARET 39 SCOTLAND BRUCE NORTH Bruce
165 MCKINNON , DUNCAN 40 ONTARIO BRUCE NORTH Bruce
166 MCKINNON , ALEXANDER 42 ONTARIO BRUCE NORTH Bruce
167 MCKINNON , MARY ANN 2 ONTARIO BRUCE NORTH Bruce
168 MCKINNON , CHRISTY ONTARIO BRUCE NORTH Bruce
169 MCKINNON , SANDY 27 SCOTLAND BRUCE NORTH Bruce
170 MCKINNON , JOHN 32 SCOTLAND BRUCE NORTH Bruce
171 MCKINNON , ANGUS 36 NOVA SCOTIA BRUCE NORTH Bruce
172 MCKINNON , CATHY ANN 5 ONTARIO BRUCE NORTH Bruce
173 MCKINNON , DONALD 23 SCOTLAND BRUCE NORTH Bruce
174 MCKINNON , A 27 SCOTLAND BRUCE NORTH Saugeen
175 MCKINNON , JENNET 84 SCOTLAND BRUCE NORTH Saugeen
176 MCKINNON , WILLIAM 29 ONTARIO BRUCE NORTH Elderslie
177 MCKINNON , LACHLAND 30 SCOTLAND BRUCE NORTH Elderslie
178 MCKINNON , DUNCAN 32 ONTARIO BRUCE NORTH Elderslie
179 MCKINNON , ROBERT 44 IRELAND BRUCE NORTH Elderslie
180 MCKINNON , ANNIE 11 ONTARIO BRUCE NORTH Amabel
181 MCKINNON , NEIL 19 SCOTLAND PERTH SOUTH Hibbert
182 MCKINNON , LAUGHLIN 41 SCOTLAND PERTH NORTH Ellice
183 MCKINNON , JOHN M 28 US WELLINGTON SOUTH Guelph Town
184 MCKINNON , CHARLES 41 SCOTLAND WELLINGTON CTRE. Elora Village
185 MCKINNON , MALCOLM 29 ONTARIO WELLINGTON CTRE. Erin
186 MCKINNON , ALEXANDER 40 SCOTLAND WELLINGTON CTRE. Erin
187 MCKINNON , NEIL 53 SCOTLAND WELLINGTON CTRE. Erin
188 MCKINNON , NEIL 25 ONTARIO WELLINGTON CTRE. Erin
189 MCKINNON , ISABELLA 48 SCOTLAND WELLINGTON CTRE. Erin
190 MCKINNON , JOHN 27 ONTARIO WELLINGTON CTRE. Erin
191 MCKINNON , MARGARET 56 SCOTLAND WELLINGTON CTRE. Erin
192 MCKINNON , DONALD 69 SCOTLAND WELLINGTON CTRE. Erin
193 MCKINNON , COLON 61 SCOTLAND WELLINGTON CTRE. Garafraxa East
194 MCKINNON , DAVID 35 ONT WELLINGTON CTRE. Orangeville Vill
195 MCKINNON , A 25 ONT WELLINGTON NORTH Mount Forest Villa
196 MCKINNON , DUNCAN 30 SCOTLAND GREY SOUTH Normanby
197 MCKINNON , ISABELLA 70 SCOTLAND GREY SOUTH Normanby
198 MCKINNON , JOHN 30 SCOTLAND GREY SOUTH Normanby
199 MCKINNON , CHARLES 35 SCOTLAND GREY SOUTH Egremont
200 MCKINNON , NEIL 24 SCOTLAND GREY SOUTH Egremont

Search terms : " : 2=1 : 1=MCQUILLAN.SUR. : " References: 1 - 24 of 24

1 MCQUILLAN , EDWARD 50 IRELAND LAMBTON Brooke
2 MCQUILLAN , EDWARD 34 IRELAND OXFORD NORTH Nissouri East
3 MCQUILLAN , SAMUEL 52 IRELAND OXFORD NORTH Nissouri East
4 MCQUILLAN , ALICE 8 ONTARIO HAMILTON St. Mary's Ward
5 MCQUILLAN , ROBERT 50 IRELAND HAMILTON St. Lawrence Ward
6 MCQUILLAN , SARAH 40 IRELAND WELLINGTON SOUTH Puslinch
7 MCQUILLAN , WILLIAM 62 IRELAND WELLINGTON SOUTH Puslinch
8 MCQUILLAN , JAMES 74 IRELAND WELLINGTON SOUTH Guelph Township
9 MCQUILLAN , JOHN 42 ONT WELLINGTON SOUTH Guelph Township
10 MCQUILLAN , KATE 28 ONTARIO WELLINGTON SOUTH Guelph Town
11 MCQUILLAN , THOMAS 39 ONTARIO WELLINGTON CTRE. Pilkington
12 MCQUILLAN , RICHARD 38 IRELAND WELLINGTON NORTH Amaranth
13 MCQUILLAN , EDWD 60 IRELAND YORK NORTH Whitchurch
14 MCQUILLAN , PATK 65 IRELAND YORK NORTH Whitchurch
15 MCQUILLAN , MICHAEL 58 IRELAND YORK EAST York East
16 MCQUILLAN , JOHN 17 ONTARIO YORK EAST York East
17 MCQUILLAN , JAMES 4 ONTARIO TORONTO WEST St. Patrick's Ward
18 MCQUILLAN , THOMAS 33 QUEBEC TORONTO WEST St. Patrick's Ward
19 MCQUILLAN , FRANCIS N 0 ONTARIO TORONTO WEST St. Patrick's Ward
20 MCQUILLAN , BRIDGET 67 IRELAND TORONTO EAST St. James' Ward
21 MCQUILLAN , PATRICK 67 IRELAND HASTINGS NORTH Madoc
22 MCQUILLAN , EDWARD 35 IRELAND HASTINGS NORTH Madoc
23 MCQUILLAN , WILLIAM 55 IRELAND STORMONT Osnabruck
24 MCQUILLAN , ALEXANDER 50 IRELAND RUSSELL Osgoode

Family History — 13/06/95
----------------------------------------------------------
1. George William Dillon
Birth Date: 16 May 1910
Birth Place: Toronto
Christen Date: 10 July1910
Christen Place: St-Paul's Church Toronto (Power Street)
Education: 4th grade
Religion: Catholic

Notes: At birth George was adopted by a friend of the family Patrick Mc Quillam and Mary McKinnon, at the age of 18 wanting to get married he finds out he was adopted. As we have learned from George, William and Maud Haldenby may have never married. Receiving his certificate of Baptism and gets married on Sept. 28, 1928. Born in Toronto, lived in Sault Ste-Marie Canada, in 1927 he moved at the age of 7 to Stavert in a farm house 16 x16 with no wood floor. Later a larger house was built, where he and Grandma had 16 kids and raised 15. With this document I will try to reflect the information of all the family with the best of my knowledge and info. given to me by individuals. I am also using a Genealogical company to help us find more info on Maud, there are some unanswered questions. Hoping to be able to find out what happened.
Godfather Godmother Carol Jones
Officiating Priest, Rev. J.M.Gastex
Signed, Rev J.L Hand
Dated, Sept12 1928
Noms des demi-frères
Vincent,
Robert,went to war, lived through it but died in a motorcycle accident
Norman, died in Calgary was later transferred by John in the Soo buried in the Dillon cemetary Plot #
John, est décédé le 23 Juin 1990

Medical: Early days was in good health but he now (1995) have cangarine in a foot. At the age of 85 he is in a very good mental state. Jan 95 he had a mild stroke due to blood problems he only was in hospital for 2 weeks.

Research: 1995 I am looking further in the family history since not too much information on the Dillons family is known. More to come
From SOO Town Hall Vital Statistics, 759-2500
Dead and buried Dillon's in SOO
1903-Harry Dillon
1904-Vincent Dillon, same grave location in the west Section cemetary
1913-William Dillon,old green wood cemetary
1961-Mabel Dillon
1976-Walter Dillon Buried over same grave in new Green Wood
1975-Rentford Dillon
1981-Violet Dillon west section cemetary
1990- John Francis Dillon Catholic cemetary
For more info
Public Library, 50 East Street, Sault Ste-Marie, 705-759-5230
Algoma University,1520 Queens Street East 705-949-2301
Wishard Library 705-949-2101

Spouse: Lois Leona Turner (Dillon)
Birth Date: 15 July 1908
Birth Place: St. John's Churh Millers Falls, MA 01349
Christen Date: 19 July 1908
Christen Place: St. John's Churh Millers Falls, MA 01349
Death Place: Jogues Conc. 4 &5
Burial Date: Jogues cemetary
Burial Place: Jogues
Spouse Parents: Loring C. Turner & Leona H Roi

Marriage Date: 1 Octobre 1928
Marriage Place: Jogues (Stavert)

Children: Marie Maud, Patrick Loring William, LeonieNellie Émilienne, Angus Clarence, Edmond George, Vincent Oscar , Robert Élias , Jean Louis Donat, Roy Girard, Germaine Thérèse, Arthur Réné, James Francis Edmond, Normand Elie Edouard, Laurent Winston, Phillipe Joseph, Lois Marie
Address: Jogues , Ontario, POL-1N0, 705-362-8927

1.1 Marie Maud Dillon
Birth Date: 23 oct 1928
Birth Place: Hearst, Ontario
Death Date: 20 AAug. 1993
Death Place: Notre-Dame Hospital, Hearst, Ontario
Burial Place: Hearst, Ontario

Spouse: Alfred Laurin
Birth Date: 02 May 1920

Marriage Date: 29 April, 1947
Marriage Place: Jogues, Ontario

Children: Hélène, Réal , Georgette, Rolland Laurin, Aurèl, Marc , Lisette
Address: Box 771, Hearst, Ontario, POL 1NO, 705-362-8441

1.1.1 Hélène Laurin
Birth Date: 14 jan 1948

Spouse: Aimé Nolet
Birth Date: 08 oct 1948
Spouse Parents: Laurent Nolet (1920-) & Mariette Brousseau (1925-)

Marriage Date: 26 july 1969
Marriage Place: Hearst Ontario

Children: France
Address: Box 1594, Hearst, Ontario, POL 1NO, 705-362-5903

1.1.1.1 France Nolet
Birth Date: 06 nov 1971

1.1.2 Réal Laurin
Birth Date: 29 march 1950

Spouse: Jacqueline Monique Babineau
Birth Date: 08 0ct 1955
Spouse Parents: Henri Babineau (1929-) & Rollande Veillette (1924-)

Marriage Date: 07 june 1974

Children: Danny Roland, Dave Rino

1.1.2.1 Danny Roland Laurin
Birth Date: 21 june 1975

1.1.2.2 Dave Rino Laurin
Birth Date: 15 feb 1979

1.1.3 Georgette Laurin
Birth Date: 24 jan 1949

Spouse: Guy Miron
Birth Date: 07 Mar 1946
Spouse Parents: Hermas Miron (1896-) & Georgette Raymond (1922-)

Marriage Date: 31 may 1969
Marriage Place: Hearst, Ontario

Children: Linda Miron
Address: Box 1109 , Hearst, Ontario, POL 1NO, 705-362-8896

1.1.3.1 Linda Miron
Birth Date: 27 march 1971
Birth Place: Notre Dame de Hearst Ontario
Christen Place: Hearst, Ontario

Spouse: Martin Bérubé
Birth Date: 22 dec 1969
Birth Place: Hornepayne, Ontario
Spouse Parents: Rodrique Bérubé (1933-) & Jeanne Ouellet (1942-)

Marriage Date: 22 june 1992
Marriage Place: Notre Dame de Hearst

Children: Jesse Andrew

1.1.3.1.1 Jesse Andrew Bérubé
Birth Date: 25 Fev. 1993

1.1.4a Rolland *
Birth Date: 01 sept 1952

Spouse: Lucie Fleury
Birth Date: 23 sept 1955
Spouse Parents: Gédéon Fleury (1914-) & Rose-Anna Gendron (1917-)

Children: Kunny
Other Spouses: Doris Gagnon

1.1.4a.1 Kunny Rolland
Birth Date: 05 may 1978

1.1.4b Rolland *
(See above)

Spouse: Doris Gagnon
Birth Date: 20 Nov 1960
Spouse Parents: Jean Gagnon (1931-) & Imelda Viel (1933-)

Marriage Date: common law

Children: Jasson
Other Spouses: Lucie Fleury

1.1.4b.1 Jasson Rolland
Birth Date: 07 july 1987

1.1.5a Aurèl Laurin*
Birth Date: 31 dec 1953
Religion: Catholique

Spouse: Nicole Fleury
Birth Date: 29 july 1958
Spouse Parents: Gédéon Gendron (1914-) & Rose-Anna Gendron (1917-)

Other Spouses: Chantal Pelletier

1.1.5b Aurèl Laurin*
(See above)

Spouse: Chantal Pelletier
Birth Date: 15 Aug 1968
Spouse Parents: Ben Pelletier (1948-) & Patricia Ouellet (1947-)

Other Spouses: Nicole Fleury

1.1.6 Marc Laurin
Birth Date: 01 1963

1.1.7 Lisette Laurin
Birth Date: 29 nov 1964

Spouse: Michel Tremblay
Birth Date: 29 june 1961
Spouse Parents: Clément Tremblay (1933-) & Raymonde Harvey (1937-)

Marriage Place: Notre Dame a Hearst

Children: Valérie, Tommy

1.1.7.1 Valérie Tremblay
Birth Date: 29 may 1985

1.1.7.2 Tommy Tremblay
Birth Date: 29 may 1988

1.2 Patrick Loring William Dillon
Birth Date: 24 Nov 1929
Birth Place: Jogues, Ont.
Christen Date: 1 Dec 1929
Christen Place: Jogues, Ont.

Notes: Baptized by Priest, S.G. Dion
Godfather: ohn Loring Turner
Godmother: eonie Roy
Confirmation date: 7 Oct 1937 by Mgr Joseph Hallé

Medical: Health is very good. He has been an outdoor person all his life and a hard working person.

Spouse: Yvette Maheux
Birth Date: 15 Sept 1931
Christen Date: 20 Sept 1931
Death Date: 11 Apr 1990
Death Place: Jogues, Ont.
Burial Date: 16 Apr 1990
Burial Place: Jogues, Ont.
Education: Grade 8
Spouse Parents: Nazaire Maheux (1905-1969) & Émilienne Huard (Maheux)

Spouse Notes: Godfather and Godmother were Adélard Huard and Cécile Sicotte
Baptized by George Edouard Brosseau, prêtre curé
Married by Rev. Jules Victor Pelchat, (registration certificate #10270 at the Roman Catholic Parish in Jogues
Attestatioon de décès par Lafrance Funeral Home

Spouse Medical: Mom was healthy until a blood cloth appeared. It appears she did not suffer, she was found by Julienne on the couch covered with a blanket also with a washcloth on her forehead, sleeping peacefully.

Spouse Research: There is a family tree on the Huard 's family. More research will be done at a later date.

Marriage Date: 15 May 1948
Marriage Place: Jogues, Ont.

Children: Diane (Dorval), Edouard, Denise (Bouvier), Marcel, Michel
Address: Box 15, Jogues Ontario, POL-1RO, 705-362-8634

1.2.1 Diane (Dorval)
Birth Date: 01 Sept 1948
Christen Date: Sept 1948

Spouse: Gaëtan Dorval
Birth Date: 14 Jan 1946
Spouse Parents: Gédéon Dorval (1900-) & Fabiola Hamann (1906-)

Marriage Date: 16 July 1966
Marriage Place: Jogues, Ont.

Children: Sylvie, François, Gaëtan Jr.
Address: Box 1902, Hearst, Ontario, POL-1NO, 705-362-5318

1.2.1.1 Sylvie Dorval
Birth Date: 02 May 1967
Birth Place: Hearst, Ont.

Notes: Joey was born before Sylvie met Michel her husband.
The wedding took place in front of his Worship Justice of the Peace, mr. Côté

Spouse: Michel Chartrand
Birth Date: 16 July 1953
Birth Place: Hearst, ontario
Spouse Parents: Roland Chartrand (1928-) & Gisèle D'Amour (1931-)

Marriage Date: 1993

Children: Joey Dorval
Address: Box 1143, Hearst, Ontario, POL-1N0, 705-362-7985

1.2.1.1.1 Joey Dorval Chartrand
Birth Date: 19 April 1989

1.2.1.2 François Dorval
Birth Date: 18 March 1969
Education: Grade 11 Hearst High School

Address: 390 Rideau Est Box 20013, Ottawa Ontario, KIN-9N5, 1-613-788-4527(pager) 1-613-834-7930

1.2.1.3 Gaëtan Dorval, Jr.
Birth Date: 27 Nov 1972

1.2.2 Edouard Dillon
Birth Date: 20 Avril 1950

Medical: Ed had a car accident with 2 of his friends at the age of 16, he still has trouble walking properly. He had broke and smashed his right leg at three places from the ankle to the knee.

Spouse: Alice Koistinen
Birth Date: 06 May 1937
Spouse Parents: Herbert Scott (1894-) & Annie Poulton (Scott) (1898-)

Spouse Notes: Previous marriage Alice had some childs, not with Edouard.
See chid's list

Address: 175 Taylor Blvd, Elliott Lake, Ontario, P5A-3K9, 705-848-1319

1.2.3 Denise (Bouvier)
Birth Date: 06 April 1953

Spouse: Robert Bouvier
Birth Date: 30 May 1949
Spouse Parents: Gérard Bouvier & Cécile Couture

Marriage Date: 08 August 1970
Marriage Place: Jogues

Children: Nathalie, Stéphane
Address: Box, Jogues, Ontario , POL-1R0, 705-362-8623

1.2.3.1 Nathalie Bouvier
Birth Date: 28 Nov, 1970

1.2.3.2 Stéphane Bouvier
Birth Date: 18 November 1972

Address: Box, Hearst, Ontario, POL-1NO, 705-362-

1.2.4 Marcel Dillon
Birth Date: 18 May 1956
Christen Date: 26 May 1956
Education: 1st Year of University

Spouse: Réjeanne Veilleux (Dillon)
Birth Date: 1 Sept 1950
Christen Place: Notre-Dame de l'Assomption
Education: B.A., Phys. Ed. Specialist
Spouse Parents: Jos Veilleux (1927-) & Aurore Roy (Veilleux)

Marriage Date: 26 July 1985
Marriage Place: Hearst, Ont.

Children: Lissa Josée , Jody Yves-Marcel
Address: 617 Alexandra St., Box 69, Hearst, Ont. POl-1NO, (705)- 362 4008

1.2.4.1 Lissa Josée Dillon
Birth Date: 20 June 1989
Birth Place: Timmins, Ont
Christen Place: Notre-Dame de L'Assomption Hearst, Ont.

1.2.4.2 Jody Yves-Marcel
Birth Date: 29 Jan 1991
Birth Place: Timmins, Ont.
Christen Place: Hearst, Ont.
Religion: Cristian

Address: 617 Alexandra St., Box 69 Hearst Ontario, POL-1NO, 705-362-4008

1.2.5 Michel Dillon
Birth Date: 03 November 1957
Education: 10 th grade, Hearst High School

Spouse: Julienne (Rhéaume)
Birth Date: 27 May 1958
Spouse Parents: Julien Rhéaume (1934-) & Jacqueline Morin (1937-)

Marriage Date: 05 May 1979
Marriage Place: Jogues

Children: Brian , Patrick Jr.
Address: Box, Jogues, Ontario, POL-1R0, 705-362-8535

1.2.5.1 Brian Dillon
Birth Date: 22 March 1976

1.2.5.2 Patrick Dillon, Jr.
Birth Date: 05 Sept 1978

1.3a LeonieNellie Émilienne Dillon*
Birth Date: 01 May 1931

Spouse: René Brunet
Birth Date: 18 Oct. 1926
Spouse Parents: Charles Brunet

Marriage Date: 15 May 1948

Children: Raymond, Raymonde, Robert, Rose Marie
Other Spouses: Liboire Bessette
Address: 664 Ave Du Parc, Deauville Quebec, J1N3N3

1.3a.1 Raymond Brunet
Birth Date: 01 apr 1949

Spouse: Ruby Ivy
Birth Date: 01 nov 1953

Marriage Date: 24 july 1971

Children: Thérèse, Timothy
Address: Box 1822, Hearst, Ontario, POL 1NO, 705-362-5409

1.3a.1.1 Thérèse Brunet
Birth Date: 16 dec 1974

1.3a.1.2 Timothy Brunet
Birth Date: 02 oct 1978

1.3a.2 Raymonde Brunet
Birth Date: 28 Jan 1952

Spouse: Richard Stapleford
Birth Date: 29 June 1950

Marriage Date: 05 Sept 1973

Children: Stacy, Samantha, Sabrina, David
Address: 4528 Dufferin Ave., Beamsville, Ontario, LOR 1B5

1.3a.2.1 Stacy Stapleford
Birth Date: 17 Feb 1971

Children: Kevin

1.3a.2.1.1 Kevin Stapleford
Birth Date: 11 Mar. 1993

1.3a.2.2 Samantha Stapleford
Birth Date: 17 Aug 1976
Religion: Cathlolic

1.3a.2.3 Sabrina Stapleford
Birth Date: 08 Sept 1977

1.3a.2.4 David Stapleford
Birth Date: 01 Sept 1978

Notes: David was adopted when he lived in Moosonee

1.3a.3 Robert Brunet
Birth Date: 26 Nov 1954

Spouse: Aline Machildon
Birth Date: 13 Dec 1956

Children: Shawn
Address: Box 2523, Hearst, Ontario, POL 1NO, 705-362-8712

1.3a.3.1 Shawn Brunet
Birth Date: 29 Mar 1979

1.3a.4 Rose Marie Brunet
Birth Date: 16 sept 1961

Spouse: Jacques Lamontagne
Birth Date: 07 April 1960

Marriage Date: 09 Oct 1982

Children: Jeremy , Heidi, Alexi
Address: Box 121, Hearst, Ontario, POL 1NO, 705-372-1222

1.3a.4.1 Jeremy Lamontagne
Birth Date: 23 Mars 1987

1.3a.4.2 Heidi Lamontagne
Birth Date: 18 July 1990

1.3a.4.3 Alexi Lamontagne
Birth Date: 27 Sept 1991

1.3b LeonieNellie Émilienne Dillon*
(See above)

Spouse: Liboire Bessette

Other Spouses: René Brunet
Address: Box 517 , Hearst, Ontario, POL 1NO

1.4 Angus Clarence Dillon
Birth Date: 5 aug 1932

Spouse: Anita Tremblay
Birth Date: 18 Dec. 1936
Spouse Parents: François Tremblay (1897-1980) & Florence Hogue (1910-1983)

Marriage Date: 24 April 1954

Children: Denis
Address: 2, 2nd Avenue, WAWA, Ontario, POS 1KO

1.4.1 Denis Dillon

Spouse: Lise Cyr
Birth Date: 08 Feb. 1965
Birth Place: Cochrane, Ontario
Christen Place: Cochrane, Ontario
Education: Grade 11
Spouse Parents: Jacques Lamarche (1936-) & Angéline Côté (1940-)

Children: Tanya, Marc
Address: 316 Blue Crescent, Wawa, Ontario, POS 1KO, 705-856-2575

1.4.1.1 Tanya Dillon
Birth Date: 29 Mar. 1926

1.4.1.2 Marc Dillon
Birth Date: 24 Jan. 1988

1.5 Edmond George Dillon
Birth Date: 16 feb 1934
Religion: Catrholic

Spouse: Jeanine Lapointe
Spouse Parents: Majore Lapointe (1905-1971) & Cécile (1912-)

Marriage Date: 08 sept 1951
Marriage Place: Jogues Ontario

Children: Henriette Morrissette, Larry, Marc
Address: RR#2 Kenty Corner, Timmins Ontario, P4N 7C3, 705- 268-

1.5.1 Henriette Morrissette Dillon

Spouse: Brian Morrissette
Birth Date: 26 may 1947
Spouse Parents: Roméo Morrissette (1921-) & Joséphine Nore (1924-)

Marriage Date: 04 sept 1971

Children: Laura, Clinton
Address: 590 Government Rd, Timmins, Ontario, P4N 7C3

1.5.1.1 Laura Morrissette
Birth Date: 01 feb 1975

1.5.1.2 Clinton Morrissette
Birth Date: 07 june 1978

1.5.2 Larry Dillon
Birth Date: 31 aug 1955

Notes: Seperated on the 05 july 1980

Spouse: Carole Ritz
Birth Date: 04 sept 1959
Spouse Parents: Donald Ritz & Laurette Laforge

Marriage Date: 06 sept 1979
Marriage Place: Timmins Ontario

Children: Keith

1.5.2.1 Keith Dillon
Birth Date: 22 mars 1978

1.5.3 Marc Dillon
Birth Date: 15 mar 1959
Birth Place: Jogues Ontario
Christen Place: Jogues Ontario

Spouse: Joanne Boissonneault
Birth Date: 02 nov 1960
Birth Place: Timmins
Spouse Parents: Jean Paul Boissonneault (1934-) & Noëlla Bourcier (1936-)

Marriage Date: 15 oct 1983
Marriage Place: Timmins Ontario

Children: Shawn, Kayla, Sarah-Lee
Address: RR#2 Road 3, Timmins, Ontario, P4N 7C3, 705-268-4050

1.5.3.1 Shawn Dillon
Birth Date: 06 july 1985
Birth Place: Timmins, Ontario

1.5.3.2 Kayla Dillon
Birth Date: 24 june 1987

1.5.3.3 Sarah-Lee Dillon
Birth Date: 01 July 1992
Christen Date: Aug,1992
Christen Place: Timmins,

1.6 Vincent Oscar Dillon
Birth Date: 19 july 35

Spouse: Marguerite Lapointe
Birth Date: 22 Aug 1935
Spouse Parents: Majorique Lapointe (1905-1971) & Cécile Roy (1912-)

Marriage Date: 07 Aug 1954

Children: Françine, Serge, Luc
Address: Box 2529 , Hearst, Ontario, POL 1NO, 705-362- 8364

1.6.1 Françine Dillon
Birth Date: 08 July 1958
Christen Place: Jogues, Ontario
Education: Grade 12

Spouse: Keith Macrae
Birth Date: 24 July 1967
Birth Place: Nipigon, ontario
Christen Place: Nipigon, Ontario
Education: Grade 12
Religion: Anglican
Spouse Parents: Garey MacRae (1942-) & Lois Mercer (1947-)

Marriage Date: 07 Aug 1993
Address: Box 2529, Hearst, Ontario, POL 1NO, 705-372-1722

1.6.2 Serge Dillon
Birth Date: 05 Dec 1963
Education: Grade 9

1.6.3 Luc Dillon
Birth Date: 29 May 1967
Education: PH Accounting

Address: 525 Ford North Dr., Thunderbay, Ontario, P7C 4Z1

1.7 Robert Élias Dillon
Birth Date: 15 jan 1937
Christen Date: Jogues, Ontario

Spouse: Gabrielle Morin
Birth Date: 06 July 1936

Children: Donald, Doris
Address: Box , Jogues, Ontario, POL 1NO, 705-372-1543

1.7.1 Donald Dillon
Birth Date: 29 May 1959

Spouse: Chantal Buteau
Birth Date: 24 Aug 1970

Marriage Date: 09 May 1992

Children: Savanah
Address: Box 2489, Hearst, Ontario, POL 1NO, 705-362- 8915

1.7.1.1 Savanah Dillon
Birth Date: 28 Jan 1995

1.7.2 Doris Dillon
Birth Date: 13 May 1992
Education: Study for Dental Hygienist

Spouse: Roger Gagnon
Birth Date: 02 Oct. 1958

Address: 16A King St., Kapuskasing Ontario, P5N 1K2, 705-337-1459

1.8 Jean Louis Donat Dillon
Birth Date: 18 may 1938
Education: Grade 6

Spouse: Liliane Hooper
Birth Date: 30 Jan. 1942
Education: Grade 8

Marriage Date: 28 Dec. 1957

Children: Maurice, Allan, Steven, Jules, Réjean
Address: Box 1843, Hearst, Ontario, POL 1NO, 705-372-1375

1.8.1 Maurice Dillon
Birth Date: 22 July 1958
Education: Grade 10

Spouse: Christine Pépin
Birth Date: 15 Nov. 1960
Birth Place: Kapuskasing
Education: College
Spouse Parents: Martial Pépin

Marriage Date: 21 July 1989
Marriage Place: Kapuskasing, Ontario

Children: Debbie, Danièlle
Address: Box , Hawk Junction, 705-

1.8.1.1 Debbie Dillon
Birth Date: 20 April 1977

Spouse: Jeremy McKay

Children: Kody, Korey
Address: General Delivery, Wawa, Ontario, 705-

1.8.1.1.1 Kody
Birth Date: 21 Oct. 1993

1.8.1.1.2 Korey
Birth Date: 14 dec 1994
Birth Place: Wawa Ontario

1.8.1.2 Danièlle Dillon
Birth Date: 06 April 1990

1.8.2 Allan Dillon
Birth Date: 02 Sept. 1959

Spouse: Joyce Jomphen
Birth Date: 12 Jan 1963

Spouse Notes: In 1995 she lives in Gramby with the 2 daughters.

Marriage Date: 01 Sept. 1990

Children: Tina, Josée
Address: Box 1843, Hearst, Ontario, POL 1NO, 705-372- 1375

1.8.2.1 Tina Dillon
Birth Date: 07 Jan. 1981

1.8.2.2 Josée Dillon
Birth Date: 17 Feb. 1985

1.8.3 Steven Dillon
Birth Date: 24 Sept. 1962

1.8.4 Jules Dillon
Birth Date: 28 July 1961

Spouse: Louisette Roy
Birth Date: 18 Dec 1964
Spouse Parents: Élias Roy & Gisèle Brunet

Children: Randi, Marie Claude
Address: Box, Hearst, Ontario, POL 1NO, 705-362-

1.8.4.1 Randi Dillon
Birth Date: 12 Mar 1985

1.8.4.2 Marie Claude Dillon
Birth Date: 19 July 1986

1.8.5 Réjean Dillon
Birth Date: 09 Sept. 1967
Education: Grade 9

Notes: Married by Justice of the Peace, Mr Jacques Côté at Town Hall in front of the immediate family.

Spouse: Sylvie Côté
Birth Date: 07 Dec. 1967
Spouse Parents: Jean Baptiste Bond (1951-) & Yollande Côté (1952-)

Marriage Date: 04 Aug. 1994

Children: Dany, Valérie
Address: Box, Hearst, Ontario, POL 1NO, 705-362- 5169

1.8.5.1 Dany Dillon
Birth Date: 01 Feb. 1988

1.8.5.2 Valérie Dillon
Birth Date: 19 Dec 1991

1.9 Roy Girard Dillon
Birth Date: 19 july 1939

Spouse: Claire Boucher
Birth Date: 07 Oct 1940
Spouse Parents: Clarence Boucher & Dorothy Hooper

Marriage Date: 29 Nov. 1958

Children: Line, Yves , Lee, Vivianne
Address: Box , Jogues, Ontario, POL 1RO, 705-362- 5220

1.9.1 Lynne Dillon
Birth Date: 24 November 1960

Spouse: Fernand Richard
Birth Date: 22 July 1956

Marriage Date: 05 July 1980

Children: Valérie, Yan
Address: Box 457, Hearst, Ontario, POL 1NO, 705-372-1607

1.9.1.1 Valérie Richard
Birth Date: 06 Mar 1982

1.9.1.2 Yan Richard
Birth Date: 07 Aug 1985

1.9.2 Yves Dillon
Birth Date: 29 April 1963

Spouse: Linda Parent
Birth Date: 02 March 1965
Spouse Parents: Jean Parent (1934-) & Carmen Parent (1934-)

Marriage Date: 06 July 1984

Children: Geneviève, Dave, Sébastien

1.9.2.1 Geneviève Dillon
Birth Date: 15 May 1989

1.9.2.2 Dave Dillon
Birth Date: 18 December 1990

1.9.2.3 Sébastien Dillon
Birth Date: 10 October 1992

1.9.3 Lee Dillon
Birth Date: 19 Oct. 1964

Spouse: Thérèse Machildon
Birth Date: 18 March 1960
Spouse Parents: Henri Machildon & Marie Rose Damboise

Marriage Date: 13 Jan. 1989
Marriage Place: Thunderbay, Ontario
Address: Box, Hearst, Ontario, POL 1NO, 705-372-1942

1.9.4 Vivianne Dillon
Birth Date: 23 Sept. 1966

Spouse: Steven Cole
Birth Date: 11 June 1963

Marriage Date: 10 July 1987

Children: Samantha, Alexander, Katherine
Address: 31 Colbourn Street, BridgeNorth, Ontario, KOL 1HO, 705-292-8732

1.9.4.1 Samantha Cole
Birth Date: 14 Nov. 1988

1.9.4.2 Alexander Cole
Birth Date: 06 Dec. 1990

1.9.4.3 Katherine Cole
Birth Date: 14 Oct. 1992

1.10 Germaine Thérèse
Birth Date: 25 Nov 1940

Spouse: Dieudonné Rodrigue
Spouse Parents: Dorilas Rodrigue (1010-1982) & Antoinette Roy (1915-1990)

Marriage Date: 26 June 1982

Children: Ronald, Rosanne
Address: Box, Jogues, Ontario, POL 1RO, 705-362- 8927

1.10.1a Ronald Rodrigue*
Birth Date: 08 june 1959

Spouse: Louise Séguin
Birth Date: 28 june 1959

Marriage Date: Common law

Children: Arlene, David
Other Spouses: Denise Habel

1.10.1a.1 Arlene Rodrigue
Birth Date: 15 apr 1978

1.10.1a.2 David Rodrigue
Birth Date: 29 apr 1979

1.10.1b Ronald Rodrigue*
(See above)

Spouse: Denise Habel

Other Spouses: Louise Séguin
Address: Box, 705-362-

1.10.2 Rosanne Rodrigue
Birth Date: 19 Oct 1962

Spouse: Michel Lescault
Birth Date: 02 Nov 1960

Marriage Date: 26 June 1982
Address: Box 336, Schumacher, Ontario, PON 1GO, 705-

1.11 Arthur Réné Dillon
Birth Date: 13 june 1942

Spouse: Mary Elvrum
Birth Date: 30 Dec 1942
Spouse Parents: John Elvrum (1904-1988) & Borghild Thrones (1913-1993)

Marriage Date: 17 Aug 1963

Children: Julie, Ronald, Jeanette
Address: Box 1787, Hearst, Ontario, POL 1NO, 705-362-8694

1.11.1 Julie Dillon
Birth Date: 07 Jan 1966

Spouse: Dave otis
Birth Date: 17 Aug 1958

Marriage Date: 10 Dec 19

1.11.2 Ronald Dillon
Birth Date: 04 Feb 1967

Children: George, Jodie
Address: Box 1787, Hearst, Ontario, POL 1NO, 705-362-8694

1.11.2.1 George Dillon
Birth Date: 31 Jan 1989

1.11.2.2 Jodie Dillon
Birth Date: 01 Aug 1992

1.11.3 Jeannette Dillon
Birth Date: 10 Oct 1968

Spouse: Claude bérubé
Birth Date: 14 Sept 1961

Marriage Date: Common Law

Children: Wayne

1.11.3.1 Wayne bérubé
Birth Date: 18 Nov 1987

1.12 James Francis Edmond Dillon
Birth Date: 05 nov 1943

Spouse: Lucille Groleau
Birth Date: 22 mar 1944
Spouse Parents: Edmond Groleau (1909-) & Géraldine Huard (1912-)

Marriage Date: 09 july 1964

Children: Mario , Murielle , Stephane, Joel

1.12.1 Mario Dillon
Birth Date: 05 jan 1966

Spouse: Chantal Goulet
Spouse Parents: Carol Goulet & Huguette Rodrique

Marriage Date: 14 july 1990

Children: Martin, Sylvain

1.12.1.1 Martin Dillon
Birth Date: 17 April 1992

1.12.1.2 Sylvain Dillon
Birth Date: 05 April 1995
Birth Place: Notre Dame de Hearst

1.12.2 Murielle Dillon
Birth Date: 16 dec 1966

Spouse: Denis Côté
Birth Date: 24 Nov. 1964
Spouse Parents: Roland Côté (19 -) & Pauline Boisclair

Marriage Date: 10 june 1990

Children: Maxime, Cynthia

1.12.2.1 Maxime Côté
Birth Date: 05 dec 1990

1.12.2.2 Cynthia Côté
Birth Date: 31 Oct. 1993

1.12.3 Stephane Dillon
Birth Date: 21 dec 1969

1.12.4 Joel Dillon
Birth Date: 17 jan 1973

1.13 Normand Elie Edouard Dillon
Birth Date: 12 may 1945

Spouse: Françoise Grenier
Birth Date: 21 aug 1948
Spouse Parents: Hervé Grenier (1909-1982) & Rose Lehoux (1916-)

Marriage Date: 20 aug 1966

Children: Linda, André, Philippe
Address: Box , Jogues, Ontario, POL 1RO, 705-362-8369

1.13.1 Linda Dillon
Birth Date: 31 jan 1968

Spouse: Marc Dupuis
Birth Date: 13 june 1965
Spouse Parents: Emmanuel Dupuis (1931-) & Rachelle Grezla (1936-)

Marriage Date: 19 aug 1989
Marriage Place: St-Martyr Canadien, Jogues, Ont.

Children: Karine, Valérie

1.13.1.1 Karine Dupuis
Birth Date: 39 june 1992

1.13.1.2 Valérie Dupuis
Birth Date: 30 June 1995

1.13.2 André Dillon
Birth Date: 02 July 1970

1.13.3 Philippe Dillon
Birth Date: 22 Oct 1977

1.14 Laurent Winston Dillon
Birth Date: 31 may 1946

Spouse: Sandra Smith
Birth Date: 24 June 1948
Spouse Parents: Charles Smith (1891-1972) & Josephine Mc Quabbie ( - 1961)

Marriage Date: 01 Aug. 1970

Children: Angela Chouinard
Address: General Delivery RR#1 , Jogues, Ontario, POL 1RO, 705-362-8737

1.14.1 Angela Chouinard Dillon
Birth Date: 01 Mar. 1971
Education: 3rd year University Law and Security

Spouse: Michel Chouinard
Birth Date: 25 Aug 1973

Marriage Date: 11June1994
Marriage Place: Hearst,Ontario

Children: Dillon
Address: Bx 1987, Jogues Ontario, POL1R0, 705-362-

1.14.1.1 Dillon Chouinard
Birth Date: 14 Nov. 1992
Christen Place: St-Pie X

1.15 Phillipe Joseph Dillon
Birth Date: 28 nov 1948
Birth Place: Jogues Ontario
Death Date: 18 dec 1948
Death Place: Notre Dame de L'assomption

1.16 Lois Marie Dillon
Birth Date: 14 nov 1953

Spouse: Edouard Henri Parent
Birth Date: 14 june 1948
Birth Place: Jogues
Christen Place: Jogues
Education: 6 th grade
Spouse Parents: Jean Marie François Parent (1927-1984) & Thérèse Exilia Marie Hébert (1927-1985)

Marriage Date: 27 Dec 1969

Children: Eric, Luc

1.16.1 Eric Parent
Birth Date: 01 June 1970

Address: Box 29, Hearst, Ontario, POL 1NO, 705-372-1219

1.16.2 Luc Parent