Search for content in message boards

Parentage of Lewis B. Cox of Louisiana - NOT REUBEN

Replies: 0

Parentage of Lewis B. Cox of Louisiana - NOT REUBEN

Posted: 1493145951000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cox
Lewis B. Cox is first found in public records on the 1840 Marion Co., MS census, married with one son. He married Nancy Hennessy about 1837, presumably in Marion County. He resided very near the family of William and Phoebe Cox of Marion County. William and Phoebe had moved to Marion County from Darlington Co., SC. I am their direct descendant through their son, Robert M. Cox.

Lewis resided in Washington County, Louisiana by 1850 and Tangipahoa Parish by 1870 and had many descendants. I have 8 strong DNA matches with descendants of Lewis and Nancy and am certain that Lewis is William's son. Unaccountably, several public trees show Lewis as the son of Reuben Cox of Caswell County, North Carolina. This is incorrect. There is not a shred of evidence to support this.

While I do not have a will or other piece of paper proving Lewis to be William's son, William's household included a male child of the correct age. The 1850-1870 censuses show his birthplace as SC, MS, or LA, never NC. As a young adult Lewis lived within a few houses of William and Lewis is a name used by descendants of Robert Cox. And while I am no DNA expert, the number of matches I have with Lewis descendants overwhelmingly support my identification of Lewis's father.

If anyone has evidence to the contrary I'd appreciate hearing from you. If not, and you have identified Reuben Cox as Lewis's father in your tree, please correct it even if you are unsure about William. Thank you.

Find a board about a specific topic