Search for content in message boards

+Thomas Cartwright & Mary Jenkins of Smith County, TN.

Replies: 5

Re: +Thomas Cartwright & Mary Jenkins of Smith County, TN.

Posted: 1522522887000
Classification: Query
Dear Trish, It is almost another year since we posted. I am now part of a circle of cousins who email round-robin and none of us can identify the origin (or any other information) about our Matthew Cartwright who lived in Halifax County, NC. His first transaction was getting land in the Granville Grant in 1860. He is seen in a few other records (a couple of deeds where he and wife, Jane (Lee) Tippett (widow) and her sons, Erastus Lee and Erasmus Lee Tippett are involved.
My estimation of his age comes from the fact that in the 1784 state census his household says there is a male 60 or 60+. That computes back to about 1824 or thereabouts. He is gone from Halifax by 1790 census and his Tippett step-sons moved on. By 1800 Erastus and Erasmus were in Blount County, TN. As was Thomas Cartwright, certainly connected by the proximity of the families. This young Thomas is the husband of Mary (maiden name unknown - NOT JENKINS). Thomas left a will in 1814 and 1820 is a silent census but records indicate that Erastus moved on to Lawrence County, TN and in 1830 widow Mary Cartwright and her oldest son, Matthew (named for his grandfather, Matthew) were heads of hh in Lawrence, also. Meanwhile, the OTHER Thomas and Mary Jenkins remained in Smith County, TN. How I wish researchers would not connect that couple with my family (this one) who went as a group to Tippah County, MS ca 1835.
Even my ancestry dna matches have provided no good clue; in fact I have had the Ancestry test since 2013 and there have been few matches. This Matthew continues to be a big mystery.
We (the research circle) have speculated he might be related to the John Cartwright seen during the same time-frame (ca 1760 - 1780) but can't even quite nail that down because the names are so repetitive. DNA matches imply that the Mysterious Matthew and the descendants of John who apparently went to TN are related - cousins?
I will not fill in my tree unless I have at least a small clue that makes me confident. So far, we cannot find one. I can also say the others in my circle have done a lot of work and are very competent.
Anything you uncover that you think might help us will be profoundly appreciated! Shirley (Cartwright) McKenzie
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Shirley McKen... 1479756400000 
Trish Frederi... 1496203846000 
Shirley McKen... 1496245181000 
Trish Frederi... 1496460072000 
Shirley McKen... 1522522887000 
Shirley McKen... 1533335467000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic