Search for content in message boards

Sources for early 1800s Bryant Family research (William Reuben Bryant and children, Spartanburg, South Carolina)

Replies: 0

Sources for early 1800s Bryant Family research (William Reuben Bryant and children, Spartanburg, South Carolina)

Posted: 1561483820000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1561483901000
Surnames: Bryant, Dillard
Other than what is available on Ancestry.com, what records, documents, and research have you used for early Bryant family information? Are there wills, land records, family histories, etc?

My earliest verified Bryant ancestor is Melissa (Malissa) Briant, born about 1813 in South Carolina, who appears on the 1850 census in Grainger County, Tennessee along with William Rogers, her husband. Numerous DNA matches, connect my family with the Bryants of South Carolina, with the closest matches being to the descendants of Johnston Bryant (abt. 1785-1873) and Dorcas Dillard (abt. 1794-1850), although there are connections to the descendants of other children of William Bryant (abt. 1741-1834) and Joseph Dillard (abt. 1755-1851). I think it is likely that Melissa was a child or a niece of Johnston Bryant, but her name appears in no lists of his children (although many trees list a Martha, born 1815 with no further information). I would be particularly interested in any documents/research on Johnston Bryant and Dorcas Dillard.

Find a board about a specific topic