Search for content in message boards

Amasa Bryant, Sr. Nobleboro, ME./ Benjamin Bryant

Replies: 0

Amasa Bryant, Sr. Nobleboro, ME./ Benjamin Bryant

Posted: 1546027981000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bryant, Rollins, Rooks, Hall, Lewis, Randall, Perry, Maxwell, Parke, Day, McNair, Senne, Spangler, Benton, Cudworth
This is a outreach to discover if there is a common ancestor between Amasa Bryant Sr. of Nobleboro, Maine, b. 1772, d.1858, and Benjamin Bryant b.1708 Scituate, MA, d. 1766, Nobleboro, ME. I think they where both descended from John Bryant 1644-1708 and Mary Battelle, but am not sure because of conflicting information.
I am a descendant of John Bryant and Mary Lewis, (my 8th G. Grandparents) through their son, Thomas (m. Mary Ewell), their son, Benjamin Bryant (above)m. Abigail Randall. Their son Benjamin Bryant jr. m. Rucksbe Perry. I am descended from their daughter, Esther Bryant who m. Joshua Maxwell, who's son, Simeon Maxwell m. Lucy Parke (French). Their daughter Lucy Esther Maxwell, m. Samuel M. Day. Their daughter, Lucy Holbrook Day, m. Warren Marple McNair. Their son, Donald Warren McNair m. Emmaline Senne. Their son, Donald Ray McNair m. Eleanor L. Spangler (my parents, and I am their second daughter, Becky Susan McNair Benton. b.1957.
I find my linage interesting, because both my parents where not born in New England, but behold, I have early New England ancestors! I was born in Mount Kisco, NY. and moved to Maine in 1984. My husband recently moved to the town of Nobleboro and purchased an old cape in 2014 which was built by AMASA BRYANT SR. and have lived for the past 4 years (now 12-2018). I am tracing the genealogy of this Bryant homestead, and have had much help from the neighbors who have Bryant ancestors. I started my tracing my genealogy using Ancestory.com and have also had my DNA tested through ancestory.com as well. I was so very surprised to find that I had an ancestor (Benjamin Bryant Sr.) who died in Nobleboro, ME. and I'm wondering why he would have come to Nobleboro, and to die here at age 58. Who did he know here? Where was he buried?
There where other Bryant families who lived in Lincoln County at that time. Amasa Bryant Sr. family came from Bristol, ME, not too far from Nobleboro, the son of David Bryant and Lydia Cudworth. The first ship builder on the Damariscotta River was Nathaniel Bryant who also owned a tavern in Newcastle/Damariscotta before 1766.
I am looking to find information, stories, or other Maine Bryant family history which would tell me more about Benjamin Bryant Sr. and his relatives here in Maine during that time period. I don't think any of Benjamin's children came to Maine. Benjamin came to Nobleboro after his wife, Abigail Randall died in 1750. Most of Their children settled in Chesterfield, MA (near Springfield).
Behind my house, in the woods, is a small old overgrown Bryant cemetery. There are three grave stones which where restored into place (2018).
One double stone (two names) for Thankful P. (Bryant?) and John Hall. "Thankful, wife of John Hall, died July 7, 1849, and John Hall died Oct 19 1849".
Stone #2 reads: "In Memory of Lydia C. B. wife of George W. Rooks. of Orington, Penopscot, who died July 18, 1835 age 31".
Stone #3 reads: "Susan (Bryant), wife of Stacy Rollins, died Mar. 12, 1824 age 23, ALBION K. (Rollins) their son, died Mar. 10, 1824, aged 8 months"
I hope the cemetery information helps someone from Amasa family. I have photo's I can share, and can bring interested people to the cemetery to see it.

Becky McNair Benton
Nobleboro, Maine

Find a board about a specific topic