Brannans in the Pacific Northwest descended from Moses Brannan

Replies: 2

Brannans in the Pacific Northwest descended from Moses Brannan

Posted: 1390359374000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1464748972000
Surnames: Brannan, Brannon
Hello,

According to most of what I've found thus far, most on this site laying claim to John Brannan from Stradbally, Ireland believe he emigrated to Virginia, and some of his grandsons ended up in the Pacific Northwest, where they were early settlers. Two of his sons were Moses and Thomas Jefferson. Thomas Jefferson's nephew, son of Moses, was also named Thomas Jefferson, and he married Almira Rogers. They were early PNW settlers.

However, I am not yet assured the information on the PNW Brannan line is accurate when it comes to John "Irish" Brannan from Stradbally, Ireland, because of a couple of discrepancies I've yet to account for. Plus, there are multiple John Brannans/Brannons with the same birth dates or within five years of each other, some listed as born in the colonies (such as Pennsylvania) and some in Ireland. Also, a John Brannon/John "Irish" Brannan with the same birth date and marriage date is shown married to both Rebecca Baldwin and Rebecca Bell. Both of the women's records show them marrying the same man on the same date. It isn't only a misspelling of a surname though, because Rebecca Bell has a different birth date from Baldwin's and she is shown as born in England.

On a document someone else posted as John "Irish" Brannan's will, upon inspection I discovered it isn't his will but is actually the settlement of his estate, listing what was paid to whom. On the document, his name is spelled Brannon, and it shows the admins as Brannon and James *Bell.* I don't know if it was the intent, but written that way Brannon appears as a first name, and what about the surname of Bell for both or either of them? Which begs the question as to whether it is actually the document of John "Irish" Brannan, or if it is, whether he actually married Rebecca Baldwin.

Does anyone have any information and/or documentation verifying this line or explaining the discrepancies? If so, I would really appreciate it because I've been trying to figure this out for the last couple of years. My head is swimming with records and documents. I'm going to need to start pasting the "tree" I've accumulated on a giant wall so I can view it all clearly!

My direct line is from James Grant Brannan, born in Oregon (son of Thomas Jefferson Brannan, born in Indiana, who was the son of Moses Brannan, who was the son of a William Brannan or Brannon. At William and before him is where my confusion and doubt sets in) and Nellie Lee Stimson, born in Wyoming. Their children included Harold Grant Brannan, Murdith Sumner Brannan, Nellie Lenore Brannan, Laurel May Brannan, Lela Alice Brannan, Effie Pearl Brannan, and Edith Lamb Brannan. Other names that surfaced during my research are Lloyd Vane Brannan and James Emmet Brannan, but I'd never heard of them or saw them while growing up. Actually, the only brother I saw in person was Harold Grant.

I can be reached via this forum (it never hurts to share info here as it helps others) and/or directly via 6a6e27d0@opayq dot com.

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to give me.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
goesn2ak 1390359374000 
Daphne Maddox 1495398113000 
goesn2ak 1495820314000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic