Search for content in message boards

Connection Between Robert Boyd(b:1660) and George Boyd(b:1741) Both of VA.

Replies: 0

Connection Between Robert Boyd(b:1660) and George Boyd(b:1741) Both of VA.

Posted: 1267244252000
Classification: Query
Surnames: BOYD, POPE, TAYLOR, BIRGE
FIRST: ROBERT BOYD
"The Popes of Northumberland County", by O. A. Heath
William and Mary Quarterly: Vol 22, No. 3, Jan 1914, pp. 209-215

1704 Jan. 1 -- John Pope deeded Robert Boyd one hundred and fifty acres of land, situate on the south side of the main branch of Wicocomo river being a patent granted to James Pope, father of said John Pope.

Robert Boyd's will was made Sept. 10, 1710 and proved May 16, 1711. He named wife Ann, brother-in-law John Pope, son John, son not named, other word show it to have been Robert, god-son Moses Wood. His wife was doubtless a sister of John Pope, since the latter had deeded him the above land. A reference to this deed appears again when, Feb. 18, 1713, Wm. Heath presented John Pope's deed for land to Robert Boyd.

SECOND: JOHN BOYD
FROM THE VIRGINIA COLONIAL ABSTRACTS (PG 593)
Deposition by John Pope of Northumberland Co. Aged 36 or th-abts. Says "your depon't was very well acquainted with Robert Boyd taylor of the County aforesaid Robt Boyd dec'd and alsoe with Jno Boyd Eldest son of the aforesaid Robt Boyd and Anne Boyd formerly Wife of the aforesaid Robt and that the aforesaid Jno Boyd was borne since the intermarriage between the said Robt and Anne his wife the naturall mother of the aforesaid Jno and is now 9: years of age or theirabouts and further your depon't saith not etc".
John Pope. Dio July 16th 1712.

From "Northumberland County Va. Deeds, Wills, Inventories, Etc. 1737-1743" by Mary Marshall Brewer.

From the probate records of Northumberland County, VA, the following: JOHN BOYD (will, 1741);

John Boyd of Great Wicocomoco Parish, Northumberland Co. 13 8br 1741. To my son George Boyd & his heirs all my land & plantation I now live upon & in case of his death without heir to my son John Boyd & his heirs. To my son George one Negro named Peter, one feather bed, one cow & calf, my chest, my pistoles & holsters. I give all the rest of my estate both reall & personall to be divided between my son John & the child my wife is now with & in case either of their deaths without heir ... Boyd's will now concluded ... ye remainder of his will is this, his desire is that if either John or the child unborn die without heir that the decd's part should be divided between the other two that is George & John or the child unborn. We the subscribers do swear that the before named John Boyd decd did direct the will before written to be recorded as the same is before written & that the same was finished before he expired & that the above written codicil or addition was written according to his directions after his death within some small time. Henry Tapscott , Robert Boyd. This will was proved 10 9br 1741 by the oaths of Robert Boyd and Henry Tapscott according to their subscription on ye same to be the will of John Boyd decd which was approved & allowed by the court as sufficient proof. Winifred Boyd widdow of the testator being present & agreeing thereto administration with the will annexed is granted to Joseph Pope & Robert Boyd who made oath thereto on whose motion the will is admitted to record. Attest: James Fontaine clerk. (Pg 143)

In pursuance to an order of court dated 10 9br 1741 we George Conway, Wm Thomas & John Rout? being appointed to appraise the estate of John Boyd decd did accordingly meet on the plantation of the sd decd 7 xbr 1741 & have appraised all that sd decd's estate that was presented to our view in money. 2 Negro fellows, young Negro wench. Yoke of oxen, cart & wheels, feather beds & furniture, bedstead, cord & hide, 4 cows, 4 yearlings, 3 heifers, 2 bulls, 4 hogs, 13 shoats, a mare, 4 old tubs, some tarr, 6 cider casks, 1 stone jug, 1 looking glass, a parcel of books, 1 iron spitt, etc. [Not totaled] This inventory was exhibited 14 xbr 1741 by Joseph Pope & Robert Boyd adminrs & admitted to record. Attest: James Fontaine clerk. ( Pg. 148)

In obedience to an order of court dated 11 Jan 1741/2 we George Conway, John Rout & William Thomas being appointed to allott Winifred Boyd 1/3 of her decd husband John Boyd's estate we did accordingly meet & have possessed her with the same in articles hereunder mentioned. A negro fellow named Daniel. 2 looking glasses, a silver dram cup, 2 old trunks, pare arm chairs, a box iron & heaters, a mare, 1 white faced cow & yearling ... [illegible] ...a wrming pan. pare fire tongs, one iron pestle, 1 old oval table,1 ... some wooden ware, old spinning wheel, etc. 5 Pd 8sl 6 1/4 pn. This report and division was returned 10 May 1742 & recorded. Attest: James Fontaine clerk. (Pg 175).

THIRD: GEORGE BOYD
[From "A Glance Back over our Shoulders"]
Land Deed - George and Jemima Birge to Charles Fallen - 1759

''This indenture made the 12th day of January in the year of our Lord Christ 1759 and in the 32nd year of the reign of our Sovereign, Lord George the Second, by the grace of God , King of Great Brittain, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, an … ( contract? ) between George Boyd and Jemima his wife of the County of Amelia Colony of Virginia of the one part and Charles Fallen of the Northumberland City of afore-said colony of the (second ) part witnesseth that the said George Boyd and Jemima his wife, for and in consideration of the sum of fifty pounds continental money of Virginia, to them in hand paid the receipt whereof they do hereby acknowledge , hath granted , ... bargained and sold unto the said Charles Fallen, his heirs and assigns forming a certain tract or parcel of land situated, lying and being in the County of Northumberland and perish of Meconeco and colony as aforesaid, containing by estimation seventy-five acres, be it more or less, which said land is part of a patent granted to James Pope, bearing date, the 8th day of April, 1668 . The said land being bounded as follows: being the dividing line of the said George Boyd and the orphan of Robert Boyd at a white oak that butts to the said Fallen line to a marked ash . . . dividing the land of the said George Boyd and the said Fallen, thence, and the said George Boyd and Jemima his wife doeth by these presents for themselves and their heirs further covenant ... to deliver ... whereof the said George and Jemima his wife has hereunto set their hand and seal.
George Boyd
Signed, sealed and delivered in presence of
John Pope
James Phillips
Richard Thomas
William Fallen Jr.''

Thus we have the clues that provide the detail of the connection of George Boyd(b:Abt. 1741)who married Jemima Birge with Robert Boyd (Abt. 1660-1711) who married Ann Pope. Robert and Ann had sons John and Robert. John married Winnifred Taylor. Their firstborn was George.
Son Robert married(unknown) and had sons John and Richard, and daughter Winnie Ann. Then, sometime between 1734 (when William Taylor died) and 1747 (when Robert died) he (Robert) married Frances Taylor. (Winnifred's mother).

Thus, George(husband of Jemima, and my 4'th greatgrandfather) was not the son of George and Isabella Boyd of PA, but rather John and Winnifred were his parents. As far as I know there is no creditable evidence that George's parents were George and Isabella. You can find that on the internet, which is quite far-fetched as they list his death in PA. in 1753!!

It would be nice to find George's will (circa 1788-90), Montgomery Co. VA/KY.

Find a board about a specific topic