I am researching the following Bell family:
Pierce Bell, born about 1793 in VA or NC
Probably died between 1850 and 1860 in Greene Co GA
On 1830 Franklin Co GA census
On 1840 Elbert Co GA census
On 1850 Greene Co GA census
Father: possibly William Bell, born between 1760-1770
First wife: Elizabeth Whitworth (born after 1792) married by 1818 probably in Franklin Co GA, because her father Southerland Whitworth was living in Franklin Co by 1802.
Second wife: Margaret McDaniel/McDonald, married 27 Dec 1846 in Greene Co GA. She was a widow.
Children of Pierce Bell and Elizabeth Whitworth:
1. William W. Bell, probable son, born about 1818 in GA, married Elizabeth Pendleton 31 Oct 1841 in Elbert Co GA. William Bell is on the 1850 census in Campbell Co GA, the 1860 census in Pike Co AR, the 1870 census in Ouachita Co AR, and the 1880 census in Sevier Co AR. He and Elizabeth had the following children: John, Eliza, Ruth, Henry, William, G.W., and Arthur Beauregard.
2. Unknown male born about 1820 (possibly Thomas Bell on 1850 and 1860 Campbell Co GA census?)
3. Unknown male born about 1822 (possibly C.C. Bell who appears on the 1870 census in Ouachita Co AR?)
4. Dorothy Bell, born about 1825 in GA, married Lacy D. Rainwater 5 Sept 1846 in Greene Co GA. Lacy D. Rainwater age 26 and Dorothy R Rainwater age 23 appear on the 1850 Cobb Co GA census living in the household of Job Rainwater age 66. Their two children, William P age 4 and James E age 2 are living in the same household. Lacy and Dorothy Rainwater also appear on the 1860 and 1870 Milton County GA census. In 1870, two of their sons are living in Ouachita Co AR in the household of William W Bell and working in the cotton factory that William Bell ran for Henry Merrill.
5. Frederick Bell, possible son, born about 1826 in GA, married Lucy unknown. Frederick appears on the 1860 Oglethorpe Co census as Fredric Bell, age 34, born in GA, wife Lucy Bell, age 30, born in GA, children William, 10, Luticia, 9, Peter, 4, Abinas, 2, Fredric, 5 months. Frederick Bell Sr may have died during the Civil War, because Lucy Bell, age 30, appears on the 1870 Oglethorpe Co census with children Peter age 15, Albina, age 12, Henry, age 10, Nancy age 8, and Nicholas age 7. Nicholas had a son that he named Pierce, which is why I think Frederick might be the son of Pierce Bell.
6. Unknown female (Mary?) born about 1828?
7. Franklin Bell born about 1830 in GA, married Mariah unknown about 1852. Franklin Bell age 20, factory hand, appears on the 1850 census in Greene Co GA living in the household of his father, Pierce Bell. Franklin appears on 1860 census in Richmond Co GA as Frank Bell, carpenter, age 30, born in GA, with wife Mariah, age 27, born in Ireland, and children Frank, age 8, and Sarah, age 3. Living with them are Abert Wright, 22, a â€œmill-wrightâ€ born in Baden and James Lowrey, 18, a laborer born in GA. In 1870, Mariah Bell, age 25, born in Scotland, appears without her husband on the census in Richmond Co but with her children Franklin Bell age 14 and Sarah Bell age 11. Mariah and Franklin are both working at a cotton factory. Lucinda McCollaugh, age 47, born GA, is living with them and also working at a cotton factory. There is a 50 year old man named Frank Bell on the 1880 Richmond Co census, but he does not appear to be the same man, unless he and Mariah were separated. There is also a 25 year old man on the 1880 Richmond Co census named Frank Bell working in a cotton mill who might be the son of Frank and Mariah Bell. On the next page there is an Anna M. Bell age 44, born in Ireland, living with her daughter Mary, age 19, who is working in a cotton mill. This is probably Mariah Bell.
8. Lavina/Lavenia/Melvina Bell, born about 1832 in GA, married Henry N Riley 14 May 1851 in Greene Co GA. Lavina Bell age 18 appears on the 1850 census in Greene County GA living in the household of her father, Pierce Bell. There is a Henry Riley age 35 on the 1860 Muscogee Co GA census with Melvina age 25, Peter age 8, Elizabeth age 7 and Mary J age 2. They were all born in GA. Marion Ghan, a man age 30 born in GA, appears on the same page. In 1850 Marion Gann age 19 was living with Wm W Bell in Campbell Co GA.
9. Kendall/Fendell Bell, born about 1835 in GA, married Nancy Allen 9 Jan 1856 in Greene Co GA. Kendall/Fendell age 15 appears on the 1850 census in Greene Co GA living in the household of his father, Pierce Bell. He is a factory hand. Kendall/Fendell may be on the 1860 census in Gwinnett Co GA as â€œHenardâ€ Bell, age 23, with wife Nancy, age 22, living in the household of J.R. Allen, age 54, and family. â€œHenardâ€ is listed as a factory hand. Findel Bell age 32 day laborer appears on the 1870 Newton Co GA census with Nancy Bell age 23. Findell Bell age 45 appears on the 1880 Newton County GA census with wife Nancy age 40 and niece Mary Jane Bell age 16 who worked in a cotton factory.
10. James Bell, born about 1838 in GA, married Virginia Ward 18 Sept 1859 in Greene Co GA. James Bell age 11 is on the 1850 census in Greene County GA living in the household of his father, Pierce Bell. James is on the 1860 census in Putnam County GA as J. Bell, age 21, born in GA, living in the household of Leonard Ward, age 65, born in VA, and Susan Ward, age 60, born in GA. James Bellâ€™s wife Virginia appears as V.C. Ward, age 18, in the same household. James Bell age 32 appears on the 1870 census in Richmond Co GA as an engineer with wife Virginia age 26 and children William F age 9, Mary J age 7, Susan E age 3, and an unnamed daughter 3 months old. I canâ€™t find James Bell on the 1880 census unless he is James A Bell, age 37, born in GA, living in Manhattan, NY, NY and married to a woman named Ada.
Please contact me if any of these names mean anything to you.