Search for content in message boards

gem Belcher pugulist

Replies: 3

Re: gem Belcher pugulist

Posted: 1526673033000
Classification: Query
Well - my Belcher grandfather from Bristol always told my father we were related to James and Thomas Belcher, pugilists from Bristol. I am not sure his statement is true, so I was wondering if there was a direct male descendant from either James or Thomas Belcher that had taken a DNA test. I could then compare my y-DNA to theirs to determine relatedness.

My paper trail ends at Thomas Belcher born about 1754, not sure where, but in 1783 he and his wife Jane have a first child, William Belcher, in Caerleon Wales, where they continue to live for the rest of their lives. I am sure that Thomas Belcher was not born in Caerleon Wales, as neither his birth nor his marriage are registered in the local church. He could have been from Bristol as Caerleon is just across the Bristol Channel from Bristol. Almost the whole expanded and extended Belcher family eventually move to Bristol by the mid 1850s.

I belong to a 'Belcher y-DNA Project' where, so far, 53 Belchers are comparing their y-DNA and looking for connections. So it would have to be your mother's brother or that uncle's son who could submit DNA to determine y-DNA relatedness.

But if you have your DNA tested at Ancestry.com, we could see, in general, how related we are.

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Belcher?iframe=ycoloriz...
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
john belcher 1427791875000 
tomabe1 1432172529000 
Graham Love 1526573544000 
tomabe1 1526673033000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic