Search for content in message boards

William Barker and his son Charles Barker - related to Hiram H Barker, in IL?

Replies: 3

William Barker and his son Charles Barker - related to Hiram H Barker, in IL?

Posted: 1272299184000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Barker, Erwin,
We have 2 men named William Barker in the 1880 census.
Both are age 55, both are born in OH, both have a son named Charles age 9, born in Illinois.

One listed as laborer in Cooperstown, Brown, IL in the Brown household and "other than a direct" relationship, with both father's and mother's birthplace listed as Kentucky

One listed as Cooper in Buckhorn, Brown, IL living in the household of Permelia Barker with both father's and mother's birthplace listed as OH

Cooperstown and Buckhorn are about 20 miles apart. There were so many Barker families in that general area and so many with the same given names and with children with the same given names as other Barker families in the area. It makes it hard to find which Barkers are which!

That all leads into my troubles connecting Hiram H barker to my family.

"My" William A Barker is the man listed in Buckhorn.
He was born 1825 in Lafayette CO, OH
His wife was Mary Hannah G Erwin, b. 7 Aug 1836 in Georgia

I'm trying to find where to connect Hiram H Barker to my family. My grandmother, Bessie Bernice Cruise, b 1894 in peoria, IL, knew him as "Uncle Hi" and I have from her documentation of land purchases in Minnesota and a Homestead granted in North Dakota.
These documents are in the name of Hiram H Barker.

My great grandmother was Pamelia Ann Barker, b 1874 in IL. Her father was William A Barker, so I've always assumed Hiram H Barker was her brother, also William A Barker's son.

The problem is I can find no record showing Hiram H Barker ever living in the same household as William A Barker.

There is a Hiram H Barker b 1852 in IL, shown in the 1860 US Census living in Township 3, Range 5, Clay, IL. He is the right age to be a child of William A Barker, but he is living in the household of Jackson Barker. But Jackson Barker was born in Maryland and I can see no way for the Hiram H Barker in this household to be my grandmother's uncle.

Later censuses find "my" Hiram in Minnesota and then in North Dakota which together with my land records leave no doubt in my mind that this is my grandma's "Uncle Hi".

The 1925 North Dakota Census shows him living alone and single in Lowland, Mountrail, ND at age 70, single.

There is a Hiram Henry Barker, b 1850, d 6 Aug 1927 buried in Glendale cemetary in DesMoines, IA. The cemetart record says "relative" - I assume that means his burial was arranged by a relative. My grandmother lived in DesMoines at that time. If he died in DesMoines this could be the one I'm researching.

Any help with information about this Hiram H Barker would be much appreciated.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kirkbogle58 1272299184000 
TedBarker 1272324631000 
kimbowtoo 1277144034000 
EirlysBarker 1531774617000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic