Hi Rovena, glad to hear from you, I've been researching African American Barclift's, mine are from Alabama:
This is the entry from the 1880 Blount County Census.
Barclift, James (black) 33 husband TN NC TN
..........Caroline (black) 42 wife AL SC SC
..........Benjamin M. (black) 24 son AL TN AL
..........Ephraim (black) 18 son AL TN AL
Debbie Barclift from N.C. wrote me:"Yes I have some information on the Blount Alabama Barclifts. "(I was looking for this book)...".I also have a copy of the book "300 Years of Barclifts". It was written by Ms. Frances Burkhart of Alabama. Her grandmother was a Barclift and also had a book published. It was called "Mammy Barclift's Scrapbook" and contains newspaper clippings and other memorabilia from her life in Alabama shortly after the Civil War. I found the book at the Library of Congress.(Debbie continues) Both "Mammy Barclift's Scrapbook" and "300 Years of Barclifts" have long been out of print. However, the Burkhart family may still have copies of "300 Years of Barclifts". Several years ago, I know that Frances was in a
nursing home. I do not her health at this time, or whether she is still living.
Unfortunately the book "300 Years of Barclifts" does not deal at all with
the African-American branch of the family. There are many
African-American Barclifts and I am currently in touch with several. As I
am Anglo-American, I have no resources or stories from African-American
Barclifts and we are all working together to compile a COMPLETE family
My branch of the Barclift family remained in Perquimans County, only
leaving during the Great Depression in the 1930s. My grandfather Robert
Smith Barclift moved to Washington, DC. Several of his brothers follewed
him there. Because of this, we have a goodly number of Barclift familes
in the Washington, DC area. However, the family still owns property on
Durant's Neck in Perquimans County. Currently, I am a volunteer with a
project called "Historic Initiatives" which in aimed at increasing
historic tourism in Perquimans. I am designing a webpage for the county.
There were several James Barclift's in the Blount County line. Do you
know anything more about your James? If not, I will research what I can
find on all of them and give you the details.
In addition, Paul Barclift, of Olympia, WA, is a font of family
information. He has an extensive database on the Barclift family and can
probably help you. His branch of the family came from Arkansas.
Unfortunately, Paul's brother Wes Barclift passed away from lung cancer
about two weeks ago. Wes had been the mayor of Tumwater, WA, for many
years. I have not heard from Paul since he notified me of Wes' passing.
However, I am sure he will get back in touch soon.
Rovena, I've found this on a Barclift site: I will start with William Barclift
Generation No. 1
1. WILLIAM BARCLIFT was born Unknown, and died Abt. 1698 in Perquimans Co, NC. He married ELIZABETH.
Children of WILLIAM BARCLIFT and ELIZABETH are:
2. i. WILLIAM BARCLIFT II, b. Abt. 1677; d. Abt. 1749, Perquimans, North Carolina.
Generation No. 2
2. WILLIAM BARCLIFT II was born Abt. 1677, and died Abt. 1749 in Perquimans, North Carolina. He married ANN DURANT October 6, 1698 in Perquimans, North Carolina, daughter of GEORGE DURANT and ANN MARWOOD.
Children of WILLIAM BARCLIFT and ANN DURANT are:
5. ii. WILLIAM BARCLIFT III, b. February 17, 1701, Perquimans, North Carolina; d. December 19, 1773, Perquimans, North Carolina.
7.iv. SAMUEL BARCLIFT, SR, b. May 18, 1706, Perquimans, North Carolina; d. December 12, 1778, Perquimans, North Carolina.
Children of SAMUEL BARCLIFT and ELIZABETH FOSTER are:
18. ii. SAMUEL BARCLIFT, JR, b. Unknown, Perquimans, North Carolina; d. 1785.
17. JOHN BARCLIFT was born May 13, 1724 in Perquimans, North Carolina, and died 1788 in Perquimans, North Carolina. He married SARAH(4).
Children of JOHN BARCLIFT and SARAH(4) are:
i. SARAH BARCLIFT, b. Unknown; d. 1816; m. (1) SAMUEL BARCLIFT, JR;
Children of SAMUEL BARCLIFT and SARAH BARCLIFT are:
ii. SAMUEL BARCLIFT, b. Abt. 1785, Perquimans, North Carolina; d. April 10, 1848, Davidson Co, TN.
and I begin here with the Barclifts that lived in Blount County
33. SAMUEL BARCLIFT was born Abt. 1785 in Perquimans, North Carolina, and died April 10, 1848 in Davidson Co, TN. He married AMELIA MILLICENT COMMANDER December 5, 1812 in Perquimans, North Carolina, daughter of THOMAS COMMANDER and MARGARET WHITE.
Children of SAMUEL BARCLIFT and AMELIA COMMANDER are:
48. i. JOHN H BARCLIFT, b. 1814, Perquimans, North Carolina.
49. ii. THOMAS C BARCLIFT, b. 1814, Perquimans, North Carolina.
50. iii. SAMUEL BARCLIFT, JR, b. 1816, Perquimans, North Carolina.
51. iv. SARAH ANN BARCLIFT, b. 1820, Perquimans, North Carolina.
52. v. JOSEPH COMMANDER BARCLIFT, b. April 12, 1824, Williamson Co, TN; d. May 27, 1891, Blountsville, Alabama.
53. vi. HENRY H BARCLIFT, b. April 30, 1830, Davidson Co, TN; d. 1902, Blountsville, Alabama.
54. vii. ROBERT W BARCLIFT, b. 1834, Davidson Co, TN.
What information do you have on your Barclifts?, I love to hear about them.